SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I don't think I realized the Gateway Homes Project on W. Catherine only took up 1/3 of the block. Hm Interesting. At least it seems to be mostly glass. We could use more small 30-40 units projects scattered about, it would make the area 100x more interesting. Attached is the elevation rendering for 109 W. Catherine.

post-17104-0-57004700-1373742171_thumb.p

Edited by Guest

Fountains is the best looking one of the bunch out there. At least as of now.

Which is funny since its easily the least visible of all these (except from the lightrail), and the farthest from the center of town. Also funny that Colony is the one to get wrapped parking and ground floor patios, being almost as far out and right on South blvd. 

SouthEnd picture update. Silos, Publix site, demo work at Camden & West.

Sorry they suck. From my phone, on the train...

Edit...lol and upside down I guess. Argh.

At least any Australians visiting the site will know what it looks like. :silly:

Anyone hearing anything about the piece of land on the Northwest corner of Euclid and E. Morehead?  This is a spot near Royal Court that was to have been developed about 6 years ago.

Probably goes in the Dilworth thread, but State Street Co. owns it and bought it from CHA about 10 years ago with a 34 story mixed-use tower planned at one point including condos, office, and retail. There was talk of office back in '07 when that was hot, and it's currently listed on their website as apartments in "pre-development". 

• 2 weeks later...

That is really cool about the silos.   Hopefully they also will choose interesting colors for the actual buildings considering they went with really low quality facade materials.  It would certainly help differentiate the project.

It will be sad if too many of the 1940s-50s industrial buildings all go away on Dunavant, but it will be hard to complain if they get replaced with solid office developments.   SouthEnd seems to be lacking any major office projects other than at Morehead.  I'm imagining a denser version of the standard office projects that go up near malls, which is both good for the land use and employment but bad for the blandness over potential organic reuse of the existing warehouses.

^ actually meant one of the buildings....its only the north side of the northwestern most main building on the site (not the small townhouse building) that has been painted as of 2 days ago when i drove by

I saw this too while running on the light rail trail last night.  I believe the bright red wall is the wall to the right of the Silos from this picture I found on google images.

85_1374160087.jpg

So is this right across from Iverson?  I like the little "driveway" park there, and the increased density.  But beyond that it's pretty much the same apartmen,t everywhere, ever, under construction in Charlotte...ever.  For eternity.  

Yea, it's right across from Iverson. In the bottom left of the image, you can see that seasonal area (or whatever that seperate building is called) that Lowe's has on the corner of South/Iverson.

Agreed. It's the same, bland apartment architecture that's popping up all over town. It seems like everyone is copying the same external facade over and over. I'm not even one of those that clamors for exciting designs, but come on.

• Like 1

I drove by it last night. It didn't even dawn on me.

I also noticed that one of the walls looks pink. Hopefully that is a primer or something. It was not a good look. It could have just been the way the sun was shining on it though (the sun was about an hour from setting).

I think the pink could be part of the construction.  I remember back in Ohio when Cleveland State built a new student union they used a pink colored material during construction only and it sent another forum into uproar.  Found a photo of it, does this look similar to what's on the Silos?

csustudentcenter021910.jpg

Edited by SouthEndCLT811