SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I don't think the pink is final....I think it's just a waterseal primer (look how the window sills are "painted pink" as well).  I suspect this turns out red like the other building, which is more more complete, with railings and everything.

from park and Kingston's twitter. Will be interesting to see this thing painted. Its one of the better projects I think.

I'm generally liking it too. I don't like the beige but think in most places its not the final color... the courtyard of the Park-facing building has been painted alternating red and dark brown on its interior, and it looks like some amount of brick is going to make its way up the front facades. They're doing the 2 buildings slightly differently which I think is a good move. 

To be frank, Silos might be the ugliest of the projects coming up in South End, imo. With that mix of flat and pitched roof buildings, surface parked, etc, it just looks random and hideous.

And that pink wall is definitely primer for the red paint.

Has anyone noticed how Colonial had their Grand Opening and began pre-leasing back in November with the initial occupancy scheduled for February. Its August and they're no where near first CO's. I cant imagine the nightmare the leasing staff is going through having to continue to call pre-lease prospects and keep pushing the move in date back.

To be frank, Silos might be the ugliest of the projects coming up in South End, imo. With that mix of flat and pitched roof buildings, surface parked, etc, it just looks random and hideous.

And that pink wall is definitely primer for the red paint.

Has anyone noticed how Colonial had their Grand Opening and began pre-leasing back in November with the initial occupancy scheduled for February. Its August and they're no where near first CO's. I cant imagine the nightmare the leasing staff is going through having to continue to call pre-lease prospects and keep pushing the move in date back.

I have a friend in the leasing office at Colonial. I emailed her to ask her how leasing was going.

Here is her response:

"We've gotten a lot of cancels. They pretty much dismantled our leasing office and sent everyone back to their old jobs till further notice."

• Like 1

Holy crap, I live on Atherton, just 1 block south of Iverson. I am seriously worried that all the crazy development going on across from Lowes is going to make traffic a nightmare. I have not seen any plans for updating South Blvd to more lanes or a divided road. I just saw the post about Camden Southline and I'm scared. At least I should be able to get some aerial pics.

Holy crap, I live on Atherton, just 1 block south of Iverson. I am seriously worried that all the crazy development going on across from Lowes is going to make traffic a nightmare. I have not seen any plans for updating South Blvd to more lanes or a divided road. I just saw the post about Camden Southline and I'm scared. At least I should be able to get some aerial pics.

Density does not always equate to traffic....

Well, obviously it won't make traffic on South Blvd better. But hopefully it forces more people, like it should, to use mass transit.

Hopefully, it makes motorists travel at or under the speed limit. Density calms traffic.

And widening would likely only add to speeding. Cars have always gone faster on South Blvd north of East Blvd, where there are continuous turn lanes, compared to south of East, where there are not. It seems the added development and signal between East and Carson has calmed traffic, in spite of the wider section.

The Southline development will add left turn lanes, bike lane and parking by widening slightly on their side of South. Luckily, the taller street walls closer to the street, and enclosing South, when combined with Lowes, will still provide some psychological motorist friction, in spite of a wider cross section.

• Like 1

Hopefully, it makes motorists travel at or under the speed limit. Density calms traffic.

And widening would likely only add to speeding. Cars have always gone faster on South Blvd north of East Blvd, where there are continuous turn lanes, compared to south of East, where there are not. It seems the added development and signal between East and Carson has calmed traffic, in spite of the wider section.

The Southline development will add left turn lanes, bike lane and parking by widening slightly on their side of South. Luckily, the taller street walls closer to the street, and enclosing South, when combined with Lowes, will still provide some psychological motorist friction, in spite of a wider cross section.

I just wish they would do something with the frigging power lines...

• Like 1

Thank God, I can't find a reference to 'loso' on the Center City Partners website.

Looking at New Bern Station and the surrounding area, what are those 2 ginormous housing projects on Tryon called? One runs from Tremont to Remount, and the other runs from Remount to Griffith. I would love to see some massive redevelopments here, with some linkage to the light rail - greenway type trails with bridges over Tryon? Some potential for a serious neighborhood transformation. The amount of land - I ballpark 90 acres - you're talking StuyavesantTown & Peter Cooper Village type potential.

The one north of remount is Brookhill, which is in bad shape.

The one south of remount is Southside, which has much better units and is generally better off. 

Both are colored with "redevelopment potential" colors in the New Bern Station Area Plan.  http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/AreaPlanning/TransitStationAreaPlans/SouthCorridor/Pages/New%20Bern.aspx

Right now, though, particularly Southside provides a critical low-income housing opportunity with excellent access to transit.

Brookhill is a privately owned housing complex (teehee, I used that on purpose), and I always found that a horrible case of how starving an area of trees and landscaping makes an area seem very bad.   The actual public housing, Southside, does not look that bad when I've seen it.    It would be really great if Brookhill could get a rebuild as mixed income housing in an attractive way.   The progress in SouthEnd might actually be a good precursor to that.

CCP is the group of ivory tower ReRe's that put diagonal lines through uptown blocks and made up bullsht terms like Uptown North, which is actually northeastern part of Uptown, and trashed the perfectly rational and understandable ward divisions.   Obviously, there are reasons that neighborhoods get names to differentiate them, and Lower Southend is fairly intuitive but the SoHo-style abbreviation is silly.  Like the TRIangle BElow CAnal (Tribeca), they sometimes can make cool and trendy names.  However, I think people mostly view the SoHo-style names as trite.  Lower Southend is intuitive and fine, LoSo is SoLame.  With the heart of this neighborhood being the New Bern Street station, NewBe would have been as good a name as any if you're going to pick one of those names  :shades: .   Also, any neighborhood with a street name as badass as Youngblood in it, is wasting a great opportunity by not embracing it. 

As for traffic, Southslider explained quite well, but I'd add that dense transit oriented development in walkable neighborhoods is a far better way to reduce traffic in a city.  If the alternative housing location were in suburban neighborhoods farther down South Blvd, not only would more trips require a car, (not possible to walk to the grocer and restaurants) but when they drive to places like uptown, the longer vehicle miles traveled adds a unit of traffic to a much longer stretch of road.  A car traveling from uptown to archdale adds more traffic to the city than from uptown to southend, and the driver is usually more prone to speeding because they have farther to go and want to reduce time more than someone going only a mile or two.  When you build in a pattern that gives great alternatives to driving (transit, biking and walking) and when the driving that does happen is within a mile or two, it is a far lower impact on the street network than the suburban patterns we have been used to for decades.  But yes, in a myopic sense, it may add traffic to side streets like Atherton and Iverson, but when you walk or even drive to that Publix, you're adding less traffic to Dilworth on the way to the East Blvd Harris Kreeger.

• Like 1

I feel like that went all the way back (all the way back in Charlotte time) to the mid 90's.  That said, we don't need every neighborhood hyphenated or turned into an acronym.  I've never heard anyone ever call that area "LoSo".  It sounds like a Asian fusion restaurant.  

• Like 2

I feel like that went all the way back (all the way back in Charlotte time) to the mid 90's.  That said, we don't need every neighborhood hyphenated or turned into an acronym.  I've never heard anyone ever call that area "LoSo".  It sounds like a Asian fusion restaurant.  

I like the idea of calling the neighborhood Youngblood.

And Dubone, Complex only bothers me if its attached to the word Apartment. 

makes me imagine that THIS is being built instead of a somewhat urban building.

329_c75601cf4b798b9bb038a5b73c93d358_m.j