SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Brookhill is a privately owned housing complex (teehee, I used that on purpose), and I always found that a horrible case of how starving an area of trees and landscaping makes an area seem very bad.   The actual public housing, Southside, does not look that bad when I've seen it.    It would be really great if Brookhill could get a rebuild as mixed income housing in an attractive way.   The progress in SouthEnd might actually be a good precursor to that.

Via Polaris and the NC Secretary of State. Brookhill's owner's address is listed at 1110 East Morehead St.,  which also happens to be the same location of CD Spangler.  Who I would think might have a little extra spare change in his many pockets to fix up the place a bit...

Edited by Bikeguy

I'm surprised, no shocked, that Brookhill isn't a CHA property. Know how an apartment complex is super ghetto? When they don't have a website. It's across the street from a park, so close to uptown, etc.

Looking at POLARIS, it looks like the leased-fee interest is with a company associated with Argos Real Estate Advisors, so maybe something is already cooking with this site? (Brookhill Land and Brookhill Village Two are the two entities).

I have mixed feelings about straight-up gentrifying that part of town...obviously something will eventually happen though to these 2 complexes. As soon as it does I'm sure the area will explode since right now its a pretty harsh 1 block transition from the development going on in Southend past Tremont and the gradual restoration in Wilmore. 

I'm surprised, no shocked, that Brookhill isn't a CHA property. Know how an apartment complex is super ghetto? When they don't have a website. It's across the street from a park, so close to uptown, etc.

Looking at POLARIS, it looks like the leased-fee interest is with a company associated with Argos Real Estate Advisors, so maybe something is already cooking with this site? (Brookhill Land and Brookhill Village Two are the two entities).

^ the two companies are one in the same..  both are controlled by CD Spangler.

Hey, I have an idea... Instead of calling it the uninspired and trite name of LoSo, why don't we just call it Sedgefield and not even have it be Southend at all.  I understand Southend is a linear neighborhood but it has really sprawled down way too far already.  Nothing below Remount should be Southend at all.  Leave it up to the developers looking to brand their buildings and the neighborhood will stretch into Pineville  :stop:  No reason Sedgefield can't pick up where Southend stops and develop an identity of it's own.

PS, I'm back.

Edited by appatone
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Demolition is underway at the old McCloud Center site at the corner of Remount and Youngblood (and the buildings extend down to the LRT)

I'm surprised Woodfield didn't include this in their original development plan. This parcel makes that property so much better from a marketing POV. Having the frontage on Remount gives it more of an identity to the everyday passerby, rather than being tucked behind the massive Colonial project. 

This is Phase 2 of Silos.  They are adding 3 (i think) more buildings.  Two more large "flats" style buildings along the LRT, and then 1 or 2 more townhouse stil buildings along Youngblood on the other side of the utility substation.  There will be effectively an extension of Dunavant into the site connecting to Poindexter within the Phase 1 property.

^ my memory is that someone was shopping the site but no buyer has been announced. My memory is pretty bad however.

Its the Silos Expansion. See attached

post-17104-0-69729000-1377132191_thumb.p

ATLRVR, just two buildings

Edited by Guest

Couple of updates:

The small infill building on Catherine St between Church and Tryon is now under construction.  Looks like they already have poured some footings.  I like this building.  It's a little more modern than the typical brick/stucco building, and makes good/dense use of a parcel.  Also, it will put some foot traffic on a side street, which is good, because it helps tie the eastern (between South and Tryon) and western (Between Church and Mint) parts of South End together.

Also, it looks like the Camden/Furman building at the corner of Camden and West blvd received its building permits, or at least for the parking deck.  This is my favorite project just because of the retail space, stoops along Hawkins, and decent scale/design for just a prominent intersection.

Still no movement on the Cambridge site at the corner of Carson/South.  Hope its dead.  I've heard that Whole Foods is looking for an Uptown site.  This would be the perfect location in my opinion.

Couple of updates:

The small infill building on Catherine St between Church and Tryon is now under construction.  Looks like they already have poured some footings.  I like this building.  It's a little more modern than the typical brick/stucco building, and makes good/dense use of a parcel.  Also, it will put some foot traffic on a side street, which is good, because it helps tie the eastern (between South and Tryon) and western (Between Church and Mint) parts of South End together.

Also, it looks like the Camden/Furman building at the corner of Camden and West blvd received its building permits, or at least for the parking deck.  This is my favorite project just because of the retail space, stoops along Hawkins, and decent scale/design for just a prominent intersection.

Still no movement on the Cambridge site at the corner of Carson/South.  Hope its dead.  I've heard that Whole Foods is looking for an Uptown site.  This would be the perfect location in my opinion.

You mention stoops along Hawkins, have you seen a full site plan for this? I've only seen the one rendering of the Camden/West intersection.

Agreed on the Cambridge site, that was super disappointing after what was originally proposed there, but unfortunately I have a feeling it will still be happening. 

Couple of updates:

Wonder if there is any chance they'd repurpose the old Home Depot Design spot? I'm assuming Target and/or Trader Joe's probably has some sort of non-compete though? Don't know where else in the Uptown area they could really open a store without building new and it seems like land would be too expensive to simply build a stand alone grocery store. Would love to see one open on Elizabeth Ave. as originally planned though.

Wonder if there is any chance they'd repurpose the old Home Depot Design spot? I'm assuming Target and/or Trader Joe's probably has some sort of non-compete though? Don't know where else in the Uptown area they could really open a store without building new and it seems like land would be too expensive to simply build a stand alone grocery store. Would love to see one open on Elizabeth Ave. as originally planned though.

Why would it be too expensive. Publix is building a HUGE store in SouthEnd, why couldn't Whole Foods partner with a developer and build a new store wrapped in apartments and retail. There is lots of momentum and still a couple open parcels in 3rd ward. Stiles and our favorite punching bag Levine is now in the Grocery Store Building business afterall. Though I suspect he has a specific agreement with Publix.

Also: I don't think the Home Depot Design Center Spot is really repurpose-able because of the loading dock situation. If it was possible to do, we would have had it happen by now. Frankly I don't know who is the right match for that space. Maybe we can get a southern Meijers or a REALLY HUGE Wegmans

Edited by Guest

Why would it be too expensive. Publix is building a HUGE store in SouthEnd, why couldn't Whole Foods partner with a developer and build a new store wrapped in apartments and retail. There is lots of momentum and still a couple open parcels in 3rd ward. Stiles and our favorite punching bag Levine is now in the Grocery Store Building business afterall. Though I suspect he has a specific agreement with Publix.

Also: I don't think the Home Depot Design Center Spot is really repurpose-able because of the loading dock situation. If it was possible to do, we would have had it happen by now. Frankly I don't know who is the right match for that space. Maybe we can get a southern Meijers or a REALLY HUGE Wegmans

What's the loading dock situation?

Pretty certain that Trader Joe's has something to prevent grocery competition.  If not, I suspect Target would have expanded down into the space and done a full on Super-Target.

I don't think land costs would prevent a Whole Foods at the Cambridge site, but they really don't like mixed-use and lack of some surface parking from what I understand, so that might be hard with the TOD-M zoning. 

You may be right about TJ's suppressing competition, but I'm not sure how that works with different owners.  Home Depot owns the whole parcel north of Charlottetowne but Verhoeven owns Metropolitan south of Charlottetowne. 

I like the idea of the two story Target, although that would be a massive amount of space.   I had always hoped it to be divided, but I didn't consider that with only one small loading doc, that may be the problem overall.   Home Depot Design was mostly a show room for large items, so it makes sense that it does not have as large a loading doc, but it would certainly need to be expanded for most other big boxes. 

Of course, Whole Foods ought to just go back to their original plan for Elizabeth Ave.  But even if not, I think the Elizabeth/Midtown area is better bet than South End because it still is accessible to Dilworth, but addresses the Myer's Park and Midwood and Elizabeth markets better that would be more Whole Foods-like than the bro population of SouthEnd.

You may be right about TJ's suppressing competition, but I'm not sure how that works with different owners.  Home Depot owns the whole parcel north of Charlottetowne but Verhoeven owns Metropolitan south of Charlottetowne. 

I like the idea of the two story Target, although that would be a massive amount of space.   I had always hoped it to be divided, but I didn't consider that with only one small loading doc, that may be the problem overall.   Home Depot Design was mostly a show room for large items, so it makes sense that it does not have as large a loading doc, but it would certainly need to be expanded for most other big boxes. 

Of course, Whole Foods ought to just go back to their original plan for Elizabeth Ave.  But even if not, I think the Elizabeth/Midtown area is better bet than South End because it still is accessible to Dilworth, but addresses the Myer's Park and Midwood and Elizabeth markets better that would be more Whole Foods-like than the bro population of SouthEnd.

http://goo.gl/maps/TzB72

This is just a factor that I have heard talked about. I don't know how real of an issue or not it is, but it always made some bit of sense to me. At the same time, Southpark mall seems to function just fine and I have absolutely no idea how they get inventory into 150 stores... So maybe its not really a big issue.