SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

small updates:

1) The parking deck at Southline is now fully erect(ed)

2) Excavation at Publix looks to be complete, but no foundation work has begun.

3) The rail trail from Poindexter ext to New Bern is now open. The small piece from Remount to Poindexter ext (on the west side of the tracks) is still closed (but the new section on the east side is open)

4) Balconies are going up on the backside of Colonial. They may actually be finishing up exterior work there in a week or two.

5) A shocking number of new Southend residents appear to have dogs. A small Southend dog park might be a nice neighborhood activity node.

small updates:

1) The parking deck at Southline is now fully erect(ed)

2) Excavation at Publix looks to be complete, but no foundation work has begun.

3) The rail trail from Poindexter ext to New Bern is now open. The small piece from Remount to Poindexter ext (on the west side of the tracks) is still closed (but the new section on the east side is open)

4) Balconies are going up on the backside of Colonial. They may actually be finishing up exterior work there in a week or two.

5) A shocking number of new Southend residents appear to have dogs. A small Southend dog park might be a nice neighborhood activity node.

A small dog part will be built as part of the Faison project. How is that progressing?

Church and Summit St. aka 1449 South Church St. Apartments. and LOL at ah59396 (what does this name mean anyways).

ahh, I didn't think to look that far North. IRRC they are done with foundations and framing for the first (podium?) floor. I think the park is across the street, nothing has changed over there.

Thanks for the reminder about that park.

Any one know anything about the park proposed around West and Tryon? That seems to have vanished.

Edited by kermit

Church and Summit St. aka 1449 South Church St. Apartments. and LOL at ah59396 (what does this name mean anyways).

My name means nothing.  Its my initials and then random numbers.  When I went to Appalachian, it's the way they did my email and I kinda just use it for everything.

My name means nothing.  Its my initials and then random numbers.  When I went to Appalachian, it's the way they did my email and I kinda just use it for everything.

Off topic: but that was the worst part of being at App.  Trying to remember all of those silly numbers drove me crazy.

How many units are under construction in South End currently? 

Off topic: but that was the worst part of being at App.  Trying to remember all of those silly numbers drove me crazy.

How many units are under construction in South End currently? 

According to the Observer the other day, 1700 units are under construction including 2 projects yet to break ground.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/10/10/4378397/light-rail-brings-apartment-boom.html#.Ulv-wVB_uSo

New project I was unaware of.  3 Story office builing on South Blvd between DSW shoe store and Cannon Pharmacy (the old Mantis restaurant), which is across from Taco Bell.

They are marketing some ground floor retail.  My only complaint is there is parking in the "side-yard" as opposed to all behing the building.  Not bad, but not great.

41880_primary.jpg

http://www.siteindexcharlotte.com/photos/CIE/charlotte//Property/41880_89451.pdf

• Like 1

New project I was unaware of.  3 Story office builing on South Blvd between DSW shoe store and Cannon Pharmacy (the old Mantis restaurant), which is across from Taco Bell.

They are marketing some ground floor retail.  My only complaint is there is parking in the "side-yard" as opposed to all behing the building.  Not bad, but not great.

41880_primary.jpg

http://www.siteindexcharlotte.com/photos/CIE/charlotte//Property/41880_89451.pdf

As long as the building is against the sidewalk/street I do not mind side lot parking at all. A lot of northern cities have this type of parking.

When I first moved to Charlotte, I lived in Sedgefield in a Marsh building and the SouthEnd trolley was just a private grassroots volunteer organization trying to get city support, and the city was talking about 'extending the trolley to 485' in early discussions of the light rail.   I did not expect to still live here 15 years later, but I must say that is really cool to see the dreams come to fruition where now we are to the point where a grocer with underground parking is going where it once was the warehouse selling dented canned goods.   I am reminded of that because I once ate at the pretty mediocre Mantis restaurant during that era and it is great to see that the fast-food-dominated section of South Blvd is finally getting converted to urban projects with some momentum.   

When I first moved to Charlotte, I lived in Sedgefield in a Marsh building and the SouthEnd trolley was just a private grassroots volunteer organization trying to get city support, and the city was talking about 'extending the trolley to 485' in early discussions of the light rail.   I did not expect to still live here 15 years later, but I must say that is really cool to see the dreams come to fruition where now we are to the point where a grocer with underground parking is going where it once was the warehouse selling dented canned goods.   I am reminded of that because I once ate at the pretty mediocre Mantis restaurant during that era and it is great to see that the fast-food-dominated section of South Blvd is finally getting converted to urban projects with some momentum.   

I actually really liked Mantis as a good "meat and three" spot. Plus the salad bar was awesome. I actually miss that place. Not gourmet by all means, but just a good place to get some country-style steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, and a really unhealthy salad smothered in bacon bits and bleu cheese. :)

I wanted to mention that the Gateway Homes 36 unit apartment project on Catherine Street (between Tryon & Winnifred) mentioned here is actually going up between the lighting store and the cell tower, not on the lot with the car wash. The steel framing for the first floor of parking is already up.

I believe this is the first true 'infill' development for SouthEnd and what a great use of a small parcel that I personally would have never expected to be more than parking.

Looks like the site at the corner of South & Iverson opposite Lowes is going to be...townhomes? Weird choice.  

http://ww.charmeck.org/planning/Rezoning/2013/063-077/2013-065%20site%20plan.pdf

I also noticed several small TOD rezoning applications in Southend; the small 1-story building next to Packard Place off South Tryon (this is not the apartment building proposed on Catherine st., its halfway between Catherine and Bland), the small building at the corner of Palmer & Church, and part of the 1-story spaces along South by Rennslaer, former trophy shop. 

I believe that the Observer reported on this project today (although it may have been a couple parcels from South blvd, I am not sure)

Tentatively called Iverson Way, the property will be on 1.2 acres on the south side of Iverson Way between South Boulevard and Lyndhurst Avenue. It will feature 22 town houses that range from 1,800 to 2,100 square feet.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/10/25/4412042/new-homes-keep-popping-up.html#.UmrfdZxf8fg