SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

"Hey that looks like my building!"  said everyone renting an apartment in Southend.. ever...

How long does it usually take to re-develop redevelopments?

Note: This snarky response was based on mis-information provided by ricky_davis_fan_21. Regardless, I still stand by the truthiness of this response.

Edited by RVA2CLT

^ What a joke.

BIG EDIT IN POST ABOVE!!! I messed up. I just looked at the construction documents and I had it backwards. They made it less southendy.

Edited by Guest

The biggest change seems to be including retail along both Carson and South?

There are "Ground Floor Active Use Areas" on both South Blvd and the Light Rail. However, my sources say that there will be no retail, and his info comes straight from Cambridge, so I'm not 100% certain what these "active use spaces" will be. The outdoor Patio on Carson BLVD will be an amenity for the Residents.

Sorry to let everyone down... with the previous rendering.

Edited by Guest

There are "Ground Floor Active Use Areas" on both South Blvd and the Light Rail. However, my sources say that there will be no retail, and his info comes straight from Cambridge, so I'm not 100% certain what these "active use spaces" will be. The outdoor Patio on Carson BLVD will be an amenity for the Residents.

Sorry to let everyone down... with the previous rendering.

I was told from a source who shares their parking lot that there would in fact be retail. They said it was required at this location. Whatever that means.... (bc it's not the case for a ton of other southend projects)

It is a pretty reliable source in that they initially were going to be sharing the parking garage with the apartments and had details on the development, but those plans fell thru.

Needless to say, my source doesn't know much about "active use areas" so they could very well be wrong

I was told from a source who shares their parking lot that there would in fact be retail. They said it was required at this location. Whatever that means.... (bc it's not the case for a ton of other southend projects)

It is a pretty reliable source in that they initially were going to be sharing the parking garage with the apartments and had details on the development, but those plans fell thru.

Needless to say, my source doesn't know much about "active use areas" so they could very well be wrong

I desperately hope you are correct and my incorrect. The construction Documents would go along with your sources information and discredit mine. However, mine INSISTS that it will not have retail. So we shall see who is correct.

New mixed-use building proposed for the +/-  1ac parcel on the corner of Camden and Kingston. The description from the meeting request reads "new mixed use bulding, new driveway, street trees, parking deck"

Given the size of the parcel, it has to be podium parked. I'd imagine this will be something like Gateway's project on Catherine, only with ground floor retail. Probably somewhere in the 60-65 unit range based on the parking that will fit. If this materializes, this along with Camden's retail will really activate the pedestrian activity and hopefully spur something down at the food truck lot.   

New mixed-use building proposed for the +/-  1ac parcel on the corner of Camden and Kingston. The description from the meeting request reads "new mixed use bulding, new driveway, street trees, parking deck"

Given the size of the parcel, it has to be podium parked. I'd imagine this will be something like Gateway's project on Catherine, only with ground floor retail. Probably somewhere in the 60-65 unit range based on the parking that will fit. If this materializes, this along with Camden's retail will really activate the pedestrian activity and hopefully spur something down at the food truck lot.   

Hopefully they build around SouthEnd Exchange. I would really HATE to lose that building. 

Edit: On a side note, I legitimately am worried that one day Prices will get priced out of their space :-(. I hope that never happens.

Edited by Guest

This mixed-use building will not be residential. It is scheduled to be 75,000 sf of office with ground-floor retail. Great new use for South End and further effort towards making Camden Rd the "Stroll District".

This mixed-use building will not be residential. It is scheduled to be 75,000 sf of office with ground-floor retail. Great new use for South End and further effort towards making Camden Rd the "Stroll District".

So we are talking 1 floor Retail, 5 floors office? With Rear attached Parking Deck? I still hope they somehow work the Facade of Southendexchange in somehow.

As I was adding the mixed use building to the cc development map I checked Virtual Charlotte. The two parcels just to the west of the proposed building are labeled on the map as  "Southend Neighborhood Park" in VC (I can't figure out how to create a link to VC, the PID of one of the parcels is 12306104 ).

What is the story? Is it a real thing or just a label for the vacant space? VC had no mention of the still invisible park that was proposed less than a block away fronting Tryon.

Edited by kermit

As I was adding the mixed use building to the cc development map I checked Virtual Charlotte. The two parcels just to the west of the proposed building are labeled on the map as  "Southend Neighborhood Park" in VC (I can't figure out how to create a link to VC, the PID of one of the parcels is 12306104 ).

What is the story? Is it a real thing or just a label for the vacant space? VC had no mention of the still invisible park that was proposed less than a block away fronting Tryon.

Thats the site of Park & Kingston. Not sure why VC has it labeled the park. But then again VC had The Knights Parcel labled as Romare Bearden Park for the past 7 years until recently.

Bizjournal picked up on the Camden Road project. David Furman is the developer. Project is being called 1616 Center and will be 2 stories of retail totaling 23,000 SF and 3 stories of office totaling 51,000 SF.

Link to article w/ rendering http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/12/centro-cityworks-plans-74-000-square-foot-mixed.html 

Fantastic project, and I like the look of the building too. Not a huge departure from other Southend architecture, but enough. The only bummer in this is losing Southend Exchange. Camden deserves this much retail (and we only have one side of the street to work with), but I wish it weren't at the expense of the few good functioning old-school and varied retail spaces that we still have in the area. 

Bizjournal picked up on the Camden Road project. David Furman is the developer. Project is being called 1616 Center and will be 2 stories of retail totaling 23,000 SF and 3 stories of office totaling 51,000 SF.

Link to article w/ rendering http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/12/centro-cityworks-plans-74-000-square-foot-mixed.html 

Holy crap that looks great!!!!