SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I'll give Gains Brown about another 2 years before he sells out or develops the food truck lot.

Once Camden West goes up and has retail, and this spot goes up, that will be the last plot of open real-estate on Camden to develop.

The neighborhood association and CCP plans are for Camden to be a the shopping & stroll district/heart of SouthEnd.

In conjunction with the plan, there is a Southend parking study that just came back and there is also a study to turn Camden into a one-way street (toward uptown) with diagonal parking spaces and more pedestrian/bike friendly treatments as well as even allowing curbside parking on Tryon, with parking signs, during the weekends and after after rush hour during the weekdays to make it more convenient to stop and shop.

I had been so confused....I have been thinking this was going where the Friday night food trucks park next to Common Market.  Sort of wish this was going there instead, but this almost completes the block, so that's good.  I would think it would be a desireable place to put an office for smaller firms.

Edit:  Regarding one-way conversion, I'm supportive of that as long as Hawkins is paired-as a 1-way street going south between Kingston and Tremont.  I don't know that I like diagonal parking, would really prefer traditional parallel spots and have slightly wider sidewalks instead, even if there is a big give up in parking, unless you mean diagonal only on the LRT (east side) of Camden, but hopefully they still can run a sidewalk there, as its very annoying how pedestrian unfriendly Camden is on that side currently.

..  I don't know that I like diagonal parking, would really prefer traditional parallel spots and have slightly wider sidewalks instead, even if there is a big give up in parking, unless you mean diagonal only on the LRT (east side) of Camden, but hopefully they still can run a sidewalk there, as its very annoying how pedestrian unfriendly Camden is on that side currently.

Parking would definitely only be on the east side of Camden, but again it is part of the study. Although, since this development includes a parking deck of 254 spaces, parallel parking space may be a better for that area if any parking at all.

I won't lie, my one personal, and possibly selfish, goal for SouthEnd is to turn into an open container stroll disctrict.

'Tour the breweries of Southend Charlotte without needing to leave your brew at the bar!'... awww yeah!

Southend is practically already an open container stroll district on Panther Game Day, so lets just treat everyday in Southend like a Panther Game Day!

Edited by RVA2CLT
  • Like 2

Is it really necessary to make Camden 1 way? I honestly have no problem with the way it is now and think making it 1 way could put more stress on South Blvd with people looping around to find parking, or trying to make an ill-advised left from Camden to Tryon. 

I like the idea a lot for 2 reasons.

1) The area around price's chicken coop always seems to be full of people trying to U-Turn.

2) When the train comes, crossings at East and especially Park createe backups.  Not allowing left turns by eliminating southbound, and using the left lane to pass right turners for north bound would eliminate LRT traffic-jams.

Also, eliminating a possible movement at Summit/Tryon/Camden has to somehow make it better for pedestrians, I would think.

• Like 1

If retail would be lined up along the west side of Camden, why add parking to the east side? Unless they want people to treat the spaces even more like a LYNX park and ride? On street parking adds to street life and should go on the side of the street with storefronts, not the side with trains. Alternatively, keep Camden two-way, so parking can remain on BOTH sides.

^ I've never understood that argument.  I feel much safe crossing 1 direction of traffic than two.  Newbury St and Charles St in Boston, and all of SoHo are great examples of intimate strolling neigborhood streets with incedible retail, all are 1-way streets.  Sure, if you start talking 3-4 lanes wide and stop lights aligned, you can create a super speedway, but that obviously wouldn't be the case on Camden, with stop-signs, and 4 way flashing reds chunk up the traffic flow.

I can't think of any great stroll district with 2 way traffic....Denver's 16th St mall doesn't count, because it's bus only traffic.

1-way streets make jaywalking "safe", and jaywalking is a product of whimsical curiosity.

^ I think there is a method to that madness, once you've done that parade once you never drive there again.  Given I just saw someone dragging this stretch right by the East/West station, unbelievably, I'd say make it purely ped and bus only, to go along with developing that [Church?] parking lot into row homes to complete these few blocks with street presence from Tremont on down to the new planned super blocks.

Haven't seen this one mentioned before:

"Expect to see one of the company’s more novel projects begin construction near the South End early next year. It’s a $9 million, five-story facility, slated to go in at South Tryon and Griffith streets.

It looks more like a suburban office building."

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/12/13/4543002/morningstar-properties-makes-its.html#.UqzhlOe9KK3#storylink=cpy

Also in the rezonings for this month, developers of Park & Kingston apartments are looking to buy the former group home building at the corner of Park and Tryon (looks like a white 2 story house) for a 2nd phase.  I really hope there is at least a small retail component.

Also in the rezonings for this month, developers of Park & Kingston apartments are looking to buy the former group home building at the corner of Park and Tryon (looks like a white 2 story house) for a 2nd phase.  I really hope there is at least a small retail component.

Makes me think wonder what they were thinking when they built that suburban pool on the ground level. Another building there would have really benefitted from having the land for more units, instead of a ground level pool. That House only sits on 2/10 of an Acre.

Edit: I just emailed my contact at Marsh Properties.

Edited by Guest

The house three doors down from the mini-mart at the corner of West and Tryon also was torn down in the last week or so. Not sure if it was condemned, or if there are plans for a development on that site. There's a vacant lot beside it. It's this one (I am pretty sure that is the one):

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=New+Life+Building+Supplies,+South+Church+Street,+Charlotte,+NC&hl=en&ll=35.220852,-80.855423&spn=0.000697,0.001032&sll=35.220852,-80.855423&sspn=0.000697,0.001032&oq=new+life+bui&t=h&hq=New+Life+Building+Supplies,&hnear=S+Church+St,+Charlotte,+North+Carolina&z=21&layer=c&cbll=35.220852,-80.855423&panoid=L_IPsXNsM5q-vrwRzIW5PA&cbp=12,333.04,,0,1.17

I was pleasantly surprised to find that 330W Tremont now has occupants and looks pretty good.

The podium parking is largely invisible from Tryon and Tremont and the main entryway (at the corner of Doggett and Tryon) looks interesting/modern/urban. At a glance this project appears to dramatically change its portion of Southend. 

(disclaimer, this is all based on a quick, accidental, drive by)

EDIT: I'll moderate my praise now that I have a chance for a closer look. The podium parking is visible from the Tryon side, but the contour of the lot between it and Tryon (Phase 2 I believe)  makes it tough to see. The entryway at Doggett and Tryon is OK, a two story atrium deal, but there is nothing particularly unique about it. Overall its much better than what was there before, but.....

Edited by kermit

New UP poster here so take it easy on me.  :thumbsup: I'm moving to Charlotte in the next couple months and want to be close to Uptown so I took two days to tour SouthEnd Apartments and the area in general.

From initially hitting South Blvd from 277 there is a really great active feel, plenty of apartments, bars, restaurants, ect.  I felt as though I was still apart of Uptown Charlotte.  The Apartments from Camden, to Mosaic and Ashton gave a feel of being safe and relatively close to where the action is.  Rents are a tad high, but that is to be expected.  Ashton was actually about 20 percent higher than any other in the area and they currently have no openings, at least no 2 bedrooms.  Every single apartment I visited in this area made it a point to tout proximity to the light rail and the coming Publix.  As a way of comparison a couple of them touted safety compared to some of the newer developments further down South Blvd, they specifically mentioned problems at Fountains when I said I was going to visit there too.

Once you pass Ashton though, and this is just my opinion, the area doesn't feel as apart of Uptown as it could.  I think the Publix will help, but some of  the buildings in the area are in need of serious renovation /updating.  Sedgefield shopping center across from Colonial and Silos just looks very out of date in comparison to what the apartments there are trying to portray.  Fountains from everything I have heard is having serious issues with car breakins and even a couple muggings, and while the apartments are nice, the area surrounding it needs some serious work to compete.  Other notes:

- Silos and Colonial seem to be renting out well.  Colonial opens it's second phase very soon with the Apartments with uptown views available first week in March.

- Don't know if the people at Colonial know something or not, but was told that Sedgefield Shopping Center was going to be upgraded or torn down within a year.

- Was also told that something was going to be done with the parking lot where Pepsi parks their trucks at the corner of Poindexter and South.

- Really like the look and feel of Park & Kingston, but they only have studio's and one bedrooms.  :cry:

I'm definitely moving to the SouthEnd area soon and love reading the updates here.  Keep them coming!