SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

^Welcome to Charlotte!  BTW I assume you have your heart set on South End - but have you actually looked in Uptown (Post Gateway and Post Uptown for example).   I have two friends who each found a cheaper rent (one in each complex) than in Southend apartments!

Edited by Urbanity

New UP poster here so take it easy on me.  :thumbsup: I'm moving to Charlotte in the next couple months and want to be close to Uptown so I took two days to tour SouthEnd Apartments and the area in general.

From initially hitting South Blvd from 277 there is a really great active feel, plenty of apartments, bars, restaurants, ect.  I felt as though I was still apart of Uptown Charlotte.  The Apartments from Camden, to Mosaic and Ashton gave a feel of being safe and relatively close to where the action is.  Rents are a tad high, but that is to be expected.  Ashton was actually about 20 percent higher than any other in the area and they currently have no openings, at least no 2 bedrooms.  Every single apartment I visited in this area made it a point to tout proximity to the light rail and the coming Publix.  As a way of comparison a couple of them touted safety compared to some of the newer developments further down South Blvd, they specifically mentioned problems at Fountains when I said I was going to visit there too.

Once you pass Ashton though, and this is just my opinion, the area doesn't feel as apart of Uptown as it could.  I think the Publix will help, but some of  the buildings in the area are in need of serious renovation /updating.  Sedgefield shopping center across from Colonial and Silos just looks very out of date in comparison to what the apartments there are trying to portray.  Fountains from everything I have heard is having serious issues with car breakins and even a couple muggings, and while the apartments are nice, the area surrounding it needs some serious work to compete.  Other notes:

- Silos and Colonial seem to be renting out well.  Colonial opens it's second phase very soon with the Apartments with uptown views available first week in March.

- Don't know if the people at Colonial know something or not, but was told that Sedgefield Shopping Center was going to be upgraded or torn down within a year.

- Was also told that something was going to be done with the parking lot where Pepsi parks their trucks at the corner of Poindexter and South.

- Really like the look and feel of Park & Kingston, but they only have studio's and one bedrooms.  :cry:

I'm definitely moving to the SouthEnd area soon and love reading the updates here.  Keep them coming!

wow. I was planning to move into The Fountains but choose Silos instead. Really really loving Silos a lot. Where did you hear about the car breakins? That sounds horrible.

The owners of the Sedgefield Shopping Center are not renewing the current tennant leases as they expire, and plan on demolishing it as well as some of the apartments behind, in order to make way for a more urban oriented "birkdale village" type development.

We will have to wait and see what exactly that means, but a true mixed use development here would compliment the recent influx of multi-family in this part of South End, and ideally provide a complimentary urban wall to the Colonial Reserve Fortress...

just did a quick google for "The Fountains and car breakins". Found them on apartmentratings.com. It seems the car breakins are true. The Fountains removed the back gate, which allows access to anybody. Guests do no have parking on site. Somebody was robbed a gun point. The biggest thing that stood out to me is residents having their cars towed by the front office. Each post other residents have commented as well.

Seems like theres a HUGE mess at The Fountains.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/NC-Charlotte-Fountains-Southend.html

Edited by nuprotocol

.......for a more urban oriented "birkdale village" type development.

Wait.....what?!?! That would be incredible. Do we have any more news on this?????? Where exactly would it be located.

Also, in regards to the Fountains....what are all those buildings surrounding the complex on Foster Ave and Griffith St? It seems that area just needs to be built up a tad more. 

Meanwhile at World of Beer, a reliable source has told me that the managers/shift managers--- basically everyone who gets paid salary has not received a check in over 20 days.  They have been receiving tips however, but that is still not acceptable.  Apparently WOB has paid $100,000 to receive their liquor license.  They will be carrying wine, liquor and even food soon.  I wonder if that will turn their business around soon....

Meanwhile at World of Beer, a reliable source has told me that the managers/shift managers--- basically everyone who gets paid salary has not received a check in over 20 days.  They have been receiving tips however, but that is still not acceptable.  Apparently WOB has paid $100,000 to receive their liquor license.  They will be carrying wine, liquor and even food soon.  I wonder if that will turn their business around soon....

I'm still confused by World of Beer's struggles. Every other WOB location I have ever been to is always crowded, its a great concept and this one is in a great location with a nice patio. I hope it can turn its fortunes around as I would hate to see it go. Anyone have thoughts on why this WOB does so poorly?

Wait.....what?!?! That would be incredible. Do we have any more news on this?????? Where exactly would it be located.

If I read what he wrote correctly it would be located in the current location of the Sedgefield Shopping Center as well as the apartments behind.

I'm pretty sure I read on this board someone talking about this over a year ago.  Not so much a Birkdale village plan, but that the owners of the Center were letting it fall apart on purpose so that they could get people/tenants out.   (I think that is what I read)

EDIT:  Found a related post with news article linked from November   http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/45016-southend-midrise-projects/?p=1283443

Edited by Urbanity

If I read what he wrote correctly it would be located in the current location of the Sedgefield Shopping Center as well as the apartments behind.

Correct.

If you include both of the shopping center parcels, as well as the apartments behind, it is a sizeable piece of property that could accomodate such development. 

^ i do fear that what little mixed-use retail space we have in Southend is so poorly located that it is going to scare off future lessee's.

Bite your tounge (no visibility from any road), WOB (hidden parking, sunken location which reduces visibility) and the spaces behind Chipolte (invisible from South between McDonald and Magnolia) are all sites that are poorly suited to any type of business relying upon customer impulse. IMO Charlotte lacks enough of a neighborhood / walking culture to make these spaces viable as neighborhood businesses. At his point the only thing that will make Southend retail viable is greater critical mass on Camden which can act as an anchor for the other businesses in the hood.

I'm still confused by World of Beer's struggles. Every other WOB location I have ever been to is always crowded, its a great concept and this one is in a great location with a nice patio. I hope it can turn its fortunes around as I would hate to see it go. Anyone have thoughts on why this WOB does so poorly?

I think WOB had incredibly bad timing. They came into the market offering international beers (mostly in bottles) when local, craft-keg beer exploded in Charlotte. They were 20 years too late for the international thing IMO. Edited by kermit

Yeah, I will say the parking situation at WOB is beyond stupid. However, it is a 'known' business and I don't know if it relies so much on impulse. You go there like you would All-American or Tavern on the Tracks for example. You want to go out and drink and southend, its a stop....I would place the blame more on management. Service has always been less than stellar whenever I have been there.

Yeah, I will say the parking situation at WOB is beyond stupid.

Do we really need to have a great parking situation for a beer hall in South End and at the light rail?!?   

I agree with "Whistle-Stop". The parking situation is pretty stupid. The novelty of a beer only place will wear off quickly for southend residents since it's readily available. Their primary crowd will be those that can't get it to so easily and would need adequate parking.

WOB's biggest parking problem is that the wonderfully urban on-street parking around them is illegal after 11:00pm, which is outside of their control and really, really stupid. 

*also, it wasn't illegal after 11 when WOB opened, not sure when/why that went into effect

Edited by tozmervo

I may be off on this, but I don't get wanting to live in SouthEnd or buzz about the area if people are worried about parking for restaurants and bars.   Isn't the whole point of the area about density and walking?  

I do get what people are saying about World of Beer, but maybe it is the establishment problem and not a location problem.  Maybe something like World of Beer is more of a theme type place that would do better with tourists and be better suited in Epicentre or something while that location would have thrived better with a more local pub type establishment.

WOB's struggles have nothing to do with parking.  Look no further than Stache House one block away which is minting money, all because they chose the right concept at the right time (Hooka lounge, etc.)... The owners of Stache House are also part-owners of Hooligan's / Valhalla in Brevard Court (3rd ward) so they know how to create business that make money...

WOB has a lot of underutilized space at the very back.  If they converted the back space to a craft brewery or wine lounge they would solve their problems... Valhalla converted its back space to Vintage Wine Lounge and is making good money as a result.

Why not Hooka either?  Heck if they consider themselves "worldy" then choose a concept that makes money!

Edited by ChessieCat

I would prefer we limit the amount of hookah places but yes Stache is doing just fine. As I said before I am willing to be WOBs problems are management related. That back space is totally under utilized and the place would be a great place to watch sporting events (beer and a game....yup) but they do nothing to advertise and market themselves accordingly.

WOB's biggest parking problem is that the wonderfully urban on-street parking around them is illegal after 11:00pm, which is outside of their control and really, really stupid. 

*also, it wasn't illegal after 11 when WOB opened, not sure when/why that went into effect

It is really stupid. I got a ticket there once for parking past 11. I was blown away that parking was illegal in that location after 11PM. If it were during early morning hours for street cleaning purposes, I'd understand, but 11PM makes no sense to me.

just did a quick google for "The Fountains and car breakins". Found them on apartmentratings.com. It seems the car breakins are true. The Fountains removed the back gate, which allows access to anybody. Guests do no have parking on site. Somebody was robbed a gun point. The biggest thing that stood out to me is residents having their cars towed by the front office. Each post other residents have commented as well.

Seems like theres a HUGE mess at The Fountains.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/NC-Charlotte-Fountains-Southend.html

Regarding car break-ins.... I'm in Mosaic, with gated/secured parking garage only accessible with a key fob and we have had a rash of recent car break-ins, enough so that our leasing office included a notice/warning in the last newsletter. Probably more holiday related as 'targets of opportunity' especially with persons not used to living in Urban environments leaving their daily-used valuable in plain site.. i.e. shopping bags, GPS units, designer accessories, etc. etc.

It's robbery and violent crimes against persons you want to be most concerned with, just keep a watch on that.  Otherwise.. that's why you have insurance.

I've had my car broken into in much more rural places than this and also in Dallas b/c I left the face on my stereo and it was a target of opportunity, Progressive let me pick a new deck of equal or lesser value and installed it along with a new window & loaner car while it got done. $100 deductible  Love me some Flo.

To clarify my earlier comments about the WOB site, I do not think its a bad location for a bar (although the parking situation certainly does not help). I DO think its an poor location for any other type of retail (which is relevant since WOB appears to be teetering on the edge of insolvency).

I think its a nice idea to think that Southend can become a walkable community which contains retail (in addition to bars and restrauants). Unfortunately the majority of Charlotteans still expect / want to drive when running errands or shopping. Since Southend retail space (other than bars and rests) is always going to be in competition with Southpak, adapting spaces like WOB to higher-order uses is going to be _very_ challenging.

• Like 1

I was excited for WOB until it opened. Found it overpriced and perpetually bad service unless you were able to sit at the bar.

However for those that enjoy it I hope the additional food/drinks help business.

It is definitely over priced. Got a Captain Jack Pilsner there one night and it was $6.75! After tip, I basically paid $8 for one beer. I'm simply not going to do that when so many other bars in the area have local drafts for $3-4 depending on the night.