SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

There are some affordable single family homes around New Bern Station, although that doesn't exactly keep you in the heart of South End. If you're a little more adventurous and willing to wait a little bit longer for the extreme renovations/teardown/new constructions to start happening, homes around Scaleybark are even cheaper. Of course that puts you even further away from the heart of South End.

Thx!

• 2 weeks later...

The new deli (next to Aveda on South) appears to be doing very well.

Is it? That place is beyond awful and not noticeably different than the last 2 delis that operated out of that space (is it the same owner just rebranding every 10 months or so?). Easily the worst sandwich I've had in town, and it was bizarre how many things they were out of. 

Is it? That place is beyond awful and not noticeably different than the last 2 delis that operated out of that space (is it the same owner just rebranding every 10 months or so?). Easily the worst sandwich I've had in town, and it was bizarre how many things they were out of. 

I was just speaking based on lunch time crowds I saw the past few days -- haven't been inside.

Are you referring to it's newest incarnation, "Roast Beef and Rye"? It just opened a few days ago and does seem to have finally broken the streak of bad-to-mediocre sandwich places there.

Roast Beef and Rye has had two prior Charlotte locations. The other locations were horrible according to the Yelp and Urban Spoon reviews (1.5 stars for the closed Ballantyne location and 2.5 stars for the South Park location). But the SouthEnd location looks to have a good response on Yelp, though those comments might be coming from the restaurant owners themselves.

I've been there twice and had a great sand which each time, but then again I love roast beef. They cure their own meats (and bacon) and use Nova's bread -- so it's all fresh. What's not to like?

When a place sells cereal for breakfast and still uses the same furniture that its predecessors have had since the original tenant (which was a Quizno's), it discourages me from going in there.  I think a good Mexican/Latin restaurant would go well here, but the lack of parking makes it difficult for this spot. Yes, there are people who walk to this but not everyone. I can't think of one Mexican or Latin-American restaurant in the SouthEnd area.  Yes there are tons further down South Blvd. but in SouthEnd there aren't any.  I believe the closest would be Cantina on East Blvd. and that's not really authentic anyway.  

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 1

With less than 1/23rd of an acre, where will you store your big truck and cattle?

With less than 1/23rd of an acre, where will you store your big truck and cattle?

I had a column still in the alley of my Brooklyn Apartment (before we moved to nicer place) I think they can fit their big truck and cattle in their driveway.

Edited by Guest

Ideal Way and Euclid?   Look at a map - it is it should be by definition higher density!    If I lived over there I would rather townhomes because no one is going to build a house with a yard when it abuts that much commercial activity.   If they win I hope the city makes it commercial zoning and give them another drive through business with its noise and traffic!

I suspect a lot of that warehouse area will become buildings like this in the next few years.

I have absolutely NO problem with that.

On that note, in South End, the area by 1225 Apartments needs a bit of fixing up then that area is good to go!! Is there anything operating in that plot bordered by Winnifred, Bland, Catherine and Winona??

Edited by Jayvee

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2014/01/too-many-units-for-weekley-townhome-project-on.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
This just makes me mad. Its a hell of a great project, and they have gone to great lengths to make it work. New Bern area is progressing, and DCDA needs to get out of the way. 

post-17104-0-35314300-1390403887_thumb.p

post-17104-0-98086500-1390403887_thumb.p

post-17104-0-52227500-1390403891_thumb.p

it is a bit absurd that they do not learn from recent past success such as Euclid from Lowes back to Tremont.  High density infill built, sold and providing a very nice barrier from South Blvd.  The adjacent blocks of single family homes thrive and continue to improve. 

Adjust your plan.  It will be good for the health of your neighborhood and actually solidify the uses that presently have such great fears.

If this was sitting in the middle of the residential portion of Dilworth with no major roads near it, then I would be more concerned about the density. this though is only a block away form South Blvd and it is not far from the light rail. I think that the "concerned residents" should put a sock in their mouths and go on about their lives. Neighborhoods change.

• Like 3

If this was sitting in the middle of the residential portion of Dilworth with no major roads near it, then I would be more concerned about the density. this though is only a block away form South Blvd and it is not far from the light rail. I think that the "concerned residents" should put a sock in their mouths and go on about their lives. Neighborhoods change.

AMEN

I was once a board member of DCDA and you are correct.  They need to let this one go.  The one primary reason is that during my time on the board, we didn't even consider that area part of Dilworth (it was referred to as "South Dilworth").  Now that development is happening, DCDA wants a piece of the pie. And if you'll remember, they also put Lowe's through the ringer over its store replacing a mis-mashed grouping of crappy 1960s warehouse buildings that everbody hated. Some days, they just like to hear themselves talk on the news.  

Amusingly, also during my time on the board, we approved the un-lovely Latta Pavilion.  Everytime I drive down East Blvd and see that five story blank wall, I shudder.<<gag>

Edited by Miesian Corners