SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Some updates, in order:  

Church and Summit (edit:  this pic doesn't really do this site justice.  It's much larger than it looks and you can see it all the way from south blvd quite easily.  I guess because it's on a hill, it looks really tall.)

post-26833-0-59371400-1390657677_thumb.j

Camden West Blvd

post-26833-0-64108200-1390657714_thumb.j

Southline/Publix site: (there is movement at the Publix site again)

post-26833-0-94101400-1390657771_thumb.j

And probably the ugliest dumpster fire of an apartment complex I've seen,Colonial Grand Reserve.  The building has tons of size, increases the density along South Blvd (that photo is taken from the Healthy Home Market) but has AWFUL street level presence and I'm pretty sure the top half is the equivalent of exposed concrete.  It's like they didn't even try.  It is SLIGHTLY more appealing from the LRT side.  And that still isn't a compliment.

post-26833-0-58393300-1390657857_thumb.j

Edited by ah59396

What kind of massive road improvements?  Any new development, like the completed animal hospital at South Blvd & Ideal Way, or the Camden Southline and Publix under construction, will move the curb line of South Blvd to create bike lanes and on-street parking.  Plus, new development will often create wider sidewalks, pedestrian lighting, and street trees.

What kind of massive road improvements? Any new development, like the completed animal hospital at South Blvd & Ideal Way, or the Camden Southline and Publix under construction, will move the curb line of South Blvd to create bike lanes and on-street parking. Plus, new development will often create wider sidewalks, pedestrian lighting, and street trees.

I mean crossing the roads. For example East/South Blvd. intersection is a very annoying intersection. South Blvd. in general can be a pain to cross

^ Yes, crossing South Blvd is a PITA no matter what time of day or night.

The new pedestrian refuge island at Rennsalier (Einsteins) has been driven over at least twice in the past 6 weeks (this sign which tells drivers to avoid it was crushed both times).

The Rensellaer island is a surprise to many motorists because it is unique in the area. There is no question in my mind that there should be vastly more of them in order for drivers to see the pattern. Center turns lanes are a quirky american solution to the fact that drivers want to head to a million driveways and parking lots but don't seem to want to just turn around to enter with a right turn. In an area like SouthEnd, it is time to shift to medians which slow traffic, provide pedestrian refuge and reduce left turns which compound traffic and driving risk and have people U-turn at intersections.

Now it is much safer crossing South Boulevard to reach the new Adam and Eve store.

I can't believe this has not been discussed yet as the newest retail outlet in South End.

I can hear the moans from the Dilworth Association already.   And they thought a pink high-rise was bad!

I correct myself - just saw this discussed under SouthEnd Living thread.

AAA Car Care is under contract to purchase the former (or soon to be former) Long Animal Hospital on South Blvd. While the Valvoline didn't turn out as offensive as it could have, adding another auto-oriented business here is awful, especially being 2 doors down from the Valvoline. 

Uhoh, what happened to Long Animal? 

They are building that new facility next to Mac's on South. 

AAA Car Care is under contract to purchase the former (or soon to be former) Long Animal Hospital on South Blvd. While the Valvoline didn't turn out as offensive as it could have, adding another auto-oriented business here is awful, especially being 2 doors down from the Valvoline. 

Ok, seriously. WTF?

New PreSubmittal

Apartments named "Pearl SouthEnd"

4 Floors wrapping interior parking.

No Units Listed, However Based on Parcel Size I'd guess 225, if they buy land between there and Remount, I'd guess 300.

No word on Retail.

Architect: http://www.dwelldesignstudio.com

- Multifamily Work looks a lot like the Former Circle SouthEnd

Developer: http://www.morgangroup.com

- Pretty Big Regional Real Estate Developer, Currently Own Spectrum in Charlotte.

Land directly across from Mac's

It should be noted that Pearl is a large group of urban communities in Houston.

pearl-entry2.jpg

pearl greenway in houston

Edited by Guest