SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

So I'm confused, is this proposal for the lot at South Blvd and Remount across from Mac's?

It is the lot that stretches from The Shoe Store to Remount. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't have retail. However, Critical Mass in the neighborhood is being reached, so Marsh is going to end up having a VERY successful new urban town center.

The photo and the rendering appear to be the same project, unless they reuse the same design for multiple properties. Doesn't hurt my feelings but I seriously doubt that would have any retail. I do like the wrapped parking and I wish that was much more common. I have become quite tired of podiums.

They are indeed the same project. He posted a rendering of Pearl Greenway. There are 4 or 5 Pearls under development in Houston and around Texas. They all look different, but have a similar aesthetic. Apparently Morgan has been working on this Project since Mid March 2013, so hopefully this will have shovels in the ground soon.

If memory serves, that lot has (had?) some serious soil remediation issues as a brownfield site. Assuming that's true, we'll probably see them pushing around dirt for a while.

More reason to start moving that soil around ASAP!

The site is zoned TOD-M so even if it has retail it won't be much. I'm betting that there will be a space at the corner of South/Remount. The Planning Dept is pretty good at getting developers to build inconsequential amounts of retail.

Well, since its wrapped parking at least I image it will have ground-floor patios, and if there were a single corner retail space I would take that as an overall win I guess. 

If memory serves, that lot has (had?) some serious soil remediation issues as a brownfield site. Assuming that's true, we'll probably see them pushing around dirt for a while. 

Correct. It's a very dirty site.

Regarding retail, they originally were planning a significant amount on the ground level, but that was their first go round. The deal fell out of contract and is clearly back now, and I haven't heard what the current version of the plan looks like.   

Re: Turning Camden into a 1-way retail-centric street

I've been driving down Camden quite a bit as of late.  I really think this idea could work out well.  Retail all the way from Tryon to Tremont, and even down Tremont for some distance? Count me in.  South Blvd strikes me as too busy for walkable retail. But I get a totally different vibe on Camden.  And it I think it fits in at that location, considering the build up to the west of South Blvd that is going on.  It could serve as a neat little bridge between South End and Wilmore, and really accelerate the development of the latter.

I hope it happens.

• Like 1

Correct. It's a very dirty site.

Regarding retail, they originally were planning a significant amount on the ground level, but that was their first go round. The deal fell out of contract and is clearly back now, and I haven't heard what the current version of the plan looks like.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought brownfield sites could not have ground level residential units. I think all this leaves is retail and parking as a ground floor use.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought brownfield sites could not have ground level residential units. I think all this leaves is retail and parking as a ground floor use.

Amenity and leasing space is the only other alternative, but that would be quite a bit of space for that considering it's a precast deck not podium. 

Okay, in case you haven't noticed

CM recently started carrying some new stickers in each of their locations.  something to the effect of:

SouthEnd:

"My SouthEnd... is delicious"

Plaza Midwood:

"My Plaza Midwood, 4 inches short of a full Plaza boner"

These are great on so many levels.  My wife and I have been anxiously awaiting the unwitting, or perhaps tongue in cheek neighborhood campaigns for "My SouthEnd" and "My Plaza Midwood".

We did not have to wait long.  I believe this is fully tongue in cheek:

http://www.historicsouthend.com/turnonyourlovelight/

• Like 1

Love it. It's like the button/magnet series (its hard to find them now) that had stuff like "SouthEnd, where we like 'em big and pink." "Dilworth, I want to touch your bungalow"

A friend of mine made those buttons/magnets.  She moved back to SoCal, so that's why you don't see them anymore.

I believe the name is "Quarters at Morehead"

What it lacks in retail, it makes up for by being a building with great massing, walk up units, and is a huge upgrade for the area.

Definitely, and since there is already some retail in the immediate area and clear potential for more, I see this building as concentrating and steering that demand towards some of the old reusable spaces rather than squandering one of the last opportunities for it like I often do on these projects. 

Just got back from Nashville, and while in many cases I felt like Charlotte was a bigger city, I was impressed with their West End Neighborhood. I would like for SouthEnd to grow up to be as Urban as West End. Although it helps that they have Vanderbilt. I also liked "The Gulch" although it was far less established than I expected. One things for sure I'd kill to have some of the urban stock that Nashville has. 

Edited by Guest

Winnifred Street is now closed and they've fenced off the entire block:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=28203&hl=en&ll=35.22136,-80.852753&spn=0.00139,0.002064&sll=33.017876,-80.175476&sspn=2.065709,4.22699&hnear=Charlotte,+North+Carolina+28203&t=h&z=20

Anybody have the latest info on the NRP "Quarters at Morehead" project?

Edited by ChessieCat