West Nashville

chadshelton921

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks...I moved here recently from Denver, CO and see the incredible development opportunities for Nashville neighborhoods such as West Nashville. There are many examples in Denver of neighborhoods dramatically changed in a short amount of time by the influence of neighborhood groups. Of course, a necessary ingredient is a growing city where people want to live but Denver much like Nashville obviously are experiencing much growth. I have noticed that much development activity in Nashville is done without community involvement and there are many missed opportunities as a result. We really cannot sit back and assume that RiteAid or any other national chain/developer will do what is in the best interest of Nashville and I congratulate the Charlotte Ave neighborhood for taking a stand.

The Church is now looking for another buyer of the property. This was in the Tennessean this morning.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...553/MICRO020701

Looks as if this will have to be a reuse. I hope that is the case anyway. Hopefully another old structure saved. Too bad this was not happening 30 years ago.

Finding someone to make adaptive reuse of church buildings can be tricky. As already noted, there is already a great community theater steps away. And isn't the ballet or some other performing arts organization building custom practice space somewhere else in the neighborhood? That is a lot of performing arts venue space already in use in the immediate vicinity. Not that the neighborhood couldn't use more, but discretionary spending pockets aren't getting any deeper at the moment.

In Chicago - and I'm sure in other large (Northern) cities with sizeable Catholic/Episcopal/Lutheran populations - I have seen smaller abandoned church buildings like this one turned into condos. For example, the front portion would be retained pretty much as-is as a vestibule, particularly if it contains the stained glass windows, and pretty much the rest of the building would be demolished at least on the interior and built out with condominiums. This compromise preserves the truly good architectural details and neighborhood feel while generating new property taxes, albeit not sales taxes. And it is better than another parking lot or chain drug store.

I have also seen one in Chicago turned into a Bloomingdale's furniture store.

Then again, neither the condo markets nor the retail market are especially lucrative at the moment.

Just a few ideas. I hope that something works out!

• 1 month later...
I fionally found out what is going in that area at White Bridge Rd & Charlotte Pike (2nd Pic. above.) My wife talked to the owner of the Nail Shop that use to be there and there going to level them buildings and put a Fifth Third Bank there. WOW They are poppin up every where.

• 4 weeks later...

NCP Article: Fine Arts of Autoparts?

NCP Article: Deed Restrictions Can Prove Tricky

Attached are two articles from the City Paper regarding or relating to the ongoing discussion about the Charlotte Corridor.

The first article describes what appears to be a struggle between existing business owners on Charlotte Avenue - many of them in the auto repair industry - and the "new" businesses coming with with more of an artsy vision. I was surprised to learn that some of the autoparts businesses have been in place for up to 50 years! To me, this begs the question of what happened to the other businesses that were obviously in place at that time, but did not survive. There also seems to be a discrepancy between these business owners, who claim that they have not been contacted by the Council member to gather input on planning, and the Council member, who claims that they have been unresponsive. Is this another Joy Ford scenario at the Lionstone development?

The second article pertains to the deed restrictions that are in place on various properties in Nashville, but particularly some of the church buildings on Charlotte. Interestingly, the deed for the church that now houses the Dark Horse Theater was lost, so that deed restriction cannot be enforced, whereas the one for the Charlotte Ave Church of Christ is enforceable. It seems to me that the only use for the Church of Christ property at 46th will be another Church use under this scenario, which actually suggests to me that if a church cannot be found to occupy the building, that the structure will not long survive.

I was surprised to learn that some of the autoparts businesses have been in place for up to 50 years! To me, this begs the question of what happened to the other businesses that were obviously in place at that time, but did not survive. There also seems to be a discrepancy between these business owners, who claim that they have not been contacted by the Council member to gather input on planning, and the Council member, who claims that they have been unresponsive.

Interestingly, the deed for the church that now houses the Dark Horse Theater was lost, so that deed restriction cannot be enforced, whereas the one for the Charlotte Ave Church of Christ is enforceable. It seems to me that the only use for the Church of Christ property at 46th will be another Church use under this scenario, which actually suggests to me that if a church cannot be found to occupy the building, that the structure will not long survive.

• 1 month later...
A little of subject, we all know that the Champion Ford Dealership closed, does anyone know the future for this property. It would be nice to tear it down and put a couple of nice restuarents in there. But if anyone has heard anything just let us know.

Archived