Downtown Winston-Salem Developments

eddard

is there a need for more offices buildings like a highrise?

I'm not sure of the currency vacancy rates in downtown W-S and the classification of the space available. Right now, I think we're in decent shape, the Research park will add more square footage to the area, but another midrise might be needed as these Biotech companies expand and need more administrative room.

I keep hoping that we'll here BB&T announce a tower to rival the Wachovia Building soon!

(one can dream!) :D

company wants to move downtown

GET Interactive Inc. of Winston-Salem is requesting $100,000 in an economic-development loan and up to $20,000 in incentives from the city of Winston-Salem. The incentives would be based on $1,000 for each job created up to 20 jobs. The company said it would hire up to 28 employees over three years.

The company wants to participate in the revival of downtown Winston-Salem, said Rick Harrison, the founder and chief executive of GET Interactive. It is based at 6365 Raven Forest Trail near Germanton Road but wants to move downtown.

http://journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pa...d=1149192094569

Mast General Store from Valle Crucis is scouting downtown Winston-Salem for possible expansion sites! If this comes true, we could see a revitalization of retail in the central core! Every time Mast has expanded to Waynesville, Boone, Asheville, and Knoxville it has been to a pre-existing location in a downtown area.

WSJ article about Mast General Store scouting downtown

Mast General Store from Valle Crucis is scouting downtown Winston-Salem for possible expansion sites! If this comes true, we could see a revitalization of retail in the central core! Every time Mast has expanded to Waynesville, Boone, Asheville, and Knoxville it has been to a pre-existing location in a downtown area.

The Mast General store would be a boon for downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

We still need to get a grocer, more mainline shopping, and (IMO) a movie theater established downtown. Add a couple of true nightclubs, and downtown would be hoppin'! :yahoo:

Current Projects in downtown Winston-Salem that I am aware of...

old Old Salem Foreign Car building - becoming several small shops (Doo Wop shops) - under renovation

Holly Place (on Holly Ave.) 9 condos

Holly Village - 6 Live/Work units - Completed - 5 curently sold.

Westend Village

Phase 1 - under construction - model of Townhome Unit Open

Phase 2 - Land Cleared

Phase 3 - planned no work comenced

Downtown Ball Park

City Finance Committee recomended project

Final City Counsel and County Board Votes on incentives are still to come in Earl January

Publice Comment on Project - Jan 3rd.

One Vista - land cleared - Under Construction

Trader's Row - mixed use Trade Street Project - Under Construction

Nissen Building Apartments - Completed - 90%+ occupancy

Quizno's moving into one of street level retail spaces

Whistling Women - Under Renovation

no idea what is going in there but I have heard rumors of a wine bar.

mast General Store - speculative Rumors - no location or confirmation

Skippy's (Hotdog Place on 4th) - Under Renovation

1st Presbeterian Church Expansion - Under Construction

Marshal Street Townhomes - Land Cleared for Construction

Gallery Lofts - Under Construction - Model Unit Open

Hookah Bar - Open

Recreation Billiards Renovation - Open

RJR Tobacco Luunge - Under Renovation

4th & Cherry Resturant (at 4th and Marshall) - sign in window, no other progress

Contempo Casual - Resturant Renovation - Failed Project... Contempo will remain in business

Finnegan's Wake (Irish Pub) - Open

Russel Agency - Construction nearing Completion

Research Park Expansion

Approved by all necessary - no actual construction

Southeast Gateway

YWCA - Under Construction

Residential Condos - Ground cleared for construction

Happy Hill (included here because without this complete and impressive redo no amount of work at the

gateway would be worrthwhile - no one would buy next to crime central) - Under Construction

Tar Branch Towers - Completed

Meridian (fine Dining Resturant) - Under Construction

Old Salem - New private residence - nearing Completion

I'm sure i missed some....

Pretty impressive list! :shades:

There is no doubt that downtown Winston seems to be exploding. The ballpark is a huge... It extends almost all the way to Westend Village. The most important thing that project does thow is cause the bulldozing of a very High Crime blighted neighborhood right beside downtown. The area that will be under the project had been known for years as a drug area and looking at the existing structures there is nothing in the area wort renovation... (very small houses or houses in such bad shape that they are not worth repair).

^ i have no idea...hopefully soon.

2 more stores are closing in downtown. the downtown bike shop at the corner of 5th and Liberty will close tomorrow and the Contempo Concepts furniture store on 4th st. is considering moving to Hanes Mall Boulevard. Both blame "lack of parking" as their main reason for leaving downtown.

Both blame "lack of parking" as their main reason for leaving downtown.

Ummm, don't we quite a few parking decks downtown that aren't fully utilized. I know retail there is a challenge, but I feel that's almost a "cop-out."

But, then again, we've got to get people out of the mindset of driving their cars to the doors of each and every retailer they shop. C'mon people, use the parking deck if you must and walk a little. Even better, ride the bus downtown. You could have carried the new bike home on the bike rack on the front of the bus and Contempo surely would've arranged delivery.

Edited by suburban george3

^ i have no idea...hopefully soon.

2 more stores are closing in downtown. the downtown bike shop at the corner of 5th and Liberty will close tomorrow and the Contempo Concepts furniture store on 4th st. is considering moving to Hanes Mall Boulevard. Both blame "lack of parking" as their main reason for leaving downtown.

The Bike Shop is closing...

Contempo is not. They said thery were closing and even had a story written about it in the paper... the reason behind the reason... they were selling the Building to a venture who planned on redoing the space into a resturant. Rumor has it that the deal fell apart and Contempo ... Rumor (from a very good source...) Contempo will remain in business... so much for the parking spaces...

The parking thing kills me anyway... Winston downtown is incredibly easy to park in for an urban area... 9 of 10 times you can find empty on street parking in front of the Courthouse during business hours... try to find that in any other Urban area in the state...

The Contempo space really would have made an excellent resturant space... the building inside is great... dining on that 2nd floor... there is also a basement... perfectly located in the dead blocks between 4th and trade... there really needs to be stuff open there at night to tie the areas together... Contempo is located in the right spot to help with that... thus why someone was buying the building to put a resturant in... really too bad that is not happening anymore.

i got that impression too after watching the story on Fox8. he seemed not sure about closing.

I saw that too.. the not closing information though is not a feeling... Contempo is Not Closing.... not unless the prospective purcahser comes up with more $... other than that they will stay in business..

Contempo has some nice stuff and was one of the first businesses to move downtown again.. but I kind of wish it would close ... just look at that space and tell me that a furniture store is the best use of it... resturant...b ar... club.. something exciting for people and open at night..... that what I would like to see there.....

• 5 weeks later...

According to the WSJ's Relish, Mast General Store has an option on the former Hillcrest Furniture Building on Liberty Street. They have 4 months to make a decision.

WSJ Relish article about Arts District with Snippet about Mast General Store.