Downtown Winston-Salem Developments

eddard

• 3 weeks later...

It was proposed by Kerry Avant, lead developer of Civic Plaza. The project was supposed to be a 4 story building with a 3 story club house, if Im not mistaken. The ballpark is still unfinshed which may have given him even more reason to cancel. Not to mention 2 major apartments projects are almost complete along with another high-rise thats about to go residential.

This really isnt a surprise. He mentioned a while ago that the project was on hold indefinitely until the economy rebounded. Its probably a good thing that it isnt moving foward for Civic Plaza's sake. I want all of his attention to be on finishing that mixed-use project!

Edited by twincity

sometimes its for the best. While the Village of West End is not moving forward, another project in the future will be proposed for that location and will likely be an even larger project once the economy finally rebounds. Greensboro went through this as well. Remember "Bellemeade Village"? I have no doubt that another developer will come along and propose something even better near Dash stadium. But I guess its just one of the reasons developers like to keep big projects under wraps until all the parts are in place to make a project work.

Edited by cityboi

It was proposed by Kerry Avant, lead developer of Civic Plaza. The project was supposed to be a 4 story building with a 3 story club house, if Im not mistaken. The ballpark is still unfinshed which may have given him even more reason to cancel. Not to mention 2 major apartments projects are almost complete along with another high-rise thats about to go residential.

This really isnt a surprise. He mentioned a while ago that the project was on hold indefinitely until the economy rebounded. Its probably a good thing that it isnt moving foward for Civic Plaza's sake. I want all of his attention to be on finishing that mixed-use project!

Thanks for the additional info. Civi Plaza does sound like a much more beneficial project for WS's downtown revitalization.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's great to hear about Bib's!

I hope downtown keeps progressing, I drove thru late on a Thurs evening and while not the crowds of the weekend there was still a decent amount of pedestrian activity. When I was growing up it would have been a ghost town except for the Convention Center area.

Good for Bibs!

Does anyone have any idea why there is fencing up around the Liberty, Trade, and Main intersection? A mixed-use rezoning request was granted a few weeks ago for this area. The company is Urban Ventures LLC...thats all I know.

No clue. You might want to check with the Biz Journal to see if any building permits have been issued. But if they had, I would think we would have heard about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the Camel City Friday night visiting some friends. We ate at Bonefish at Thruway. For some reason I've always really loved that stretch of Stratford Rd. Took a stroll down Fourth St. before heading home. It was really nice. A lot of people eating street side. The new Kernal Kustard seemed to be doing a brisk business. And I was really intrigued by Hutch & Harris. I'll have to try it soon.

^^I consider South Stratford/ Five Points our unofficial "midtown." It has all the components to becoming a semi-urban district. All thats missing high density residential.

Big news coming out of the Theater District! Jim Tedder and Paul Pento, co-owners of the online magazine Community Arts Cafe, plan to convert Commerce Plaza into a new entertainment venue called Gallery of the Arts.

Plans call for a 200 - 300 seat theater/bar inspired by the Bluebird cafe in Nashville, an art gallery, bistro and bookstore. They plan to construct the venue in phases and hope to have the project complete sometime next year.

artscafeEnlarge.gif

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/oc.../entertainment/

Edited by twincity

• 2 weeks later...

Paul Pento actually approached me at the DWSP's 500 Strong meeting about this site and how it could help him with his efforts downtown at Commerce Plaza. I'll see what I can dig up. :thumbsup:

Here are some photos of the Flatiron-ish Building on Fourth in West End that is under renovation and seeking a tenant:

4049059914_4a0a4666be.jpg

4049065256_920f0f97a2_b.jpg

4049070174_9cf242ea6c_b.jpg

4048328763_980aa79439_b.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thoughts on potential new downtown investment from Forsyth?

The county is asking the residents to vote this Nov. on a $40 million bond to build a new main library downtown and a $30 million bond to relocate SciWorks to downtown from Hanes Mill Road. Both projects would be built around the 5th and Marshall/Spruce intersections with SciWorks connected to the convention center through a skywalk. Commissioners Gloria Whisenhunt and Debra Conrad are against the bonds. Plyler, Kaplan, Marshall and Bailey support moving forward with the bonds but said it would be up to the voters to decide.

Edited by twincity

Thoughts on potential new downtown investment from Forsyth?

The county is asking the residents to vote this Nov. on a $40 million bond to build a new main library downtown and a $30 million bond to relocate SciWorks to downtown from Hanes Mill Road. Both projects would be built around the 5th and Marshall/Spruce intersections with SciWorks connected to the convention center through a skywalk. Commissioners Gloria Whisenhunt and Debra Conrad are against the bonds. Plyler, Kaplan, Marshall and Bailey support moving forward with the bonds but said it would be up to the voters to decide.

I would like to see this happen, but on the heels of the baseball stadium debacle and the current state of the economy I just can't see this passing.

• 3 weeks later...

Some more info on the renovation of the Flatiron-ish building (or whatever it's called) over on Fourth Street. Apparently the building is home to a new clothing boutique! It's great to see that one of the more distinctive buildings in the Burke Street area is now occupied!

http://downtownwinstonsalem.blogspot.com/2010/01/858-w-fourth-street-exciting-new-tenant.html

• 3 weeks later...

New mexican restaurant going in on Fourth street in the old Towne Jewelers location. Fourth street is doing well even in the current economy and it is pretty popping at nights on the weekend.

also, I drove down Burke street and saw that someone is doing renovation in and old bar location. can't remember the name of the bar but it is right across from Burke Street Pub. This is a very interesting street with much entertainment and nightlife potential. I would love to see some really cool apartments on or close to Burke street to give an extra boost to the businesses here.