Downtown Winston-Salem Developments

eddard

How do you guys feel about a Mcdonald's down-town?

Would not hurt to have one downtown though I would prefer a Wendy's instead. Would do quite well if located near the bus terminal for people to grab and go something on their trips. It probably will not affect other businesses downtown as the people who would normally get something at McDonalds probably would not get something a lot better for a bit more money and lot more fresher. On the other hand, people may actually get breakfast there as there is a real lack of breakfast options downtown so getting a Bacon Egg Cheese biscuit will be a real choice for many people.

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Wildfire marketing firm just had the groundbreaking for their new Main Street facilty. the 10,000 sf building will be renovated to hold up to 50 workers. right now the firm employs 28 (up from 2 in 2002), but if growth continues, the rear parking lot will be the site for expansion.

http://triad.bizjournals.com/triad/stories...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Edited by twincity

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The former Salem Foreign Auto Repair building at 5th and Spring Streets is being renovated into the "Doo Wop Shops!" The renovation is to play up the 60's style architecture and will be within 2 blocks of West End Village! The possibility of a market/deli for a tenant exists.

WSJ article about "Doo Wop Shops"

nice project...like the theme. the developer brought up some interesting points about historic preservation. the building is not exactly a historic gem, but the style of architecture is rare in the city. looks nice.

this is the first ALL retail project for downtown in decades!! that is very encouraging news. the placemant is a little ways from the bulk of the action though. i hope all the new stores will be successful.

Edited by twincity

The former Salem Foreign Auto Repair building at 5th and Spring Streets is being renovated into the "Doo Wop Shops!" The renovation is to play up the 60's style architecture and will be within 2 blocks of West End Village! The possibility of a market/deli for a tenant exists.

This project is goign to be cool when it is finnishe!!

it is good that they are getting some projects just for retail

Where will people park to go in these stores?

Wow. Impressive. Tell me this. What is making downtown Winston's residential push so successful? Is it marketing? The young, artsy population that was untapped there? The appealing downtown that already exists?

I don't know how much the "younger" population is playing into the downtown boom. Properties available and being constructed are fairly high priced for a starter residence. (most at least 200K!) I think you have urban professionals who prefer this type of living to the suburban style neighborhoods and even the inner ring neighborhoods of Winson-Salem. Also, older empty nesters who frequent downtown art events and are looking for a more carefree lifestyle. Let's also not forget the large base of people who, plain and simple, work in the downtown area...

It does appear that most of the residentiall projects are meeting with quite a bit of success in the downtown area of W-S. I hope Winston can keep this momentum as many announced projects are being cancelled in other downtown areas of the country.

Edited by suburban george3

As an aside, you mention the Downtown Newsletter. Ir was unavailable for a long while. I stopped checking until recently when I found it had been updated and was working throught September. Now, the "current" click does not work, and it's for October anyway. Is there some secret access code, I don't have?

your best bet is to sign up for the newsletter. DWSP has a sorry webmaster. broken links everywhere...and they rarely update the site.

like subuarban george said, i think the residential success has a lot to do with the number of workers dt has. there probably was a pinned up demand for downtown living from years ago and now its evident. i hope everything continues to be successful. after reading whats happening in greensboro, these next few months could be a true test as to how strong the dt condo/apartment market is. 7 more projects should be under construction first quarter '07

Edited by twincity

How about all the buzz created by that dude John Elkington who sought to turn downtown Winston-Salem into the next Beale Street (Memphis). Between 1999 and 2003, it seemed that every big project discussed eventually collapsed, from developer John Elkington's plans to turn Fourth Street into a retail and restaurant destination to the $60 million, Krispy Kreme-and-arts-centered Unity Place project at the corner of Fourth and Broad streets. Yeah, he ultimately failed, but his high-minded promises got the city to think big, to think we can do it. He jumpstarted a vision that is coming to fruition.

Edited by DCMetroRaleigh
  • Like 1

How about all the buzz created by that dude John Elkington who sought to turn downtown Winston-Salem into the next Beale Street (Memphis). Between 1999 and 2003, it seemed that every big project discussed eventually collapsed, from developer John Elkington's plans to turn Fourth Street into a retail and restaurant destination to the $60 million, Krispy Kreme-and-arts-centered Unity Place project at the corner of Fourth and Broad streets. Yeah, he ultimately failed, but his high-minded promises got the city to think big, to think we can do it. He jumpstarted a vision that is coming to fruition.

I don't know how much credit I'd give to Elkington personally and I don't think W-S could ever have the next Beale Street, but when people see the potential of the downtown area presented even in these failed ideas it gets creative juices flowing. I personally think that the city and downtown leadership have a fairly good plan in mind on what needs to be happening and helping to steer development in that direction.

Out off all the previous attempts to "revitalize" downtown W-S in the 80's and 90's that failed, I honestly feel that this current attempt has the highest chances of taking hold and future success. Winston seems to still be doing well with residential projects downtown and commercial should soon be following. With the constant stream of announcements of smaller companies moving 25-50 employees to offices downtown, hopefully this area will soon be as vibrant as it was decades ago!

renovation is key in creating a true unique urban atmosphere. Its great to see Winston is still doing that downtown.