Downtown Winston-Salem Developments

eddard

• 3 weeks later...

2 more restaurants set to open

My Cousin Vinny's will replace Dudley's on the Park. the owners, who also own Burke Street Pizza, wanted to bring an authentic italian restaurant to downtown.

Winston's Eatery, opposite Tar Branch Towers, will be open in a few weeks.

www.winstonseatery.com

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645508988

Edited by twincity

so excited about this development...and i called it months ago. i dont know if it was on here or on another forum. i always knew that space would make a perfect grocery store. its basically at the vertex of the residential development in goler/the arts district and around 4th!

this is a milestone. i wish him the best of luck!

"plans to be open until 10 p.m. and deliver within a two-mile radius..."

"There are a lot of exciting details about the store that are being worked out as we speak,"

-King

Edited by twincity

Savers Administrative Services Inc. and Savers Marketing, have moved from North Point Blvd. to 635 W. Fourth St. in downtown, across from Foothills Brewery. The companies moved to allow room for growth and to participate in downtown revitalization, said Jerry Francis, the president of Savers Marketing.

http://journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pa...s=1037645507703

Edited by twincity

• 4 weeks later...

I previously Listed this awhile back... though I would relist here... with some updates - any more or other news?

Current Projects in downtown Winston-Salem that I am aware of...

old Old Salem Foreign Car building - becoming several small shops (Doo Wop shops) - under renovation

Holly Place (on Holly Ave.) 9 condos - 7 finished construction - 3 sold

Holly Village - 6 Live/Work units - Completed - 5 currently sold.

Westend Village

Phase 1 - under construction - some townhoses occupies - condos nearing completion

Phase 2 - Land Cleared

Phase 3 - sign up - no work

Downtown Ball Park - permitting and final lanning in progress - project approved.

One Vista - land cleared - Under Construction

Trader's Row - mixed use Trade Street Project - Under Construction

Nissen Building Apartments - Completed - 90%+ occupancy

Quizno's moving into one of street level retail spaces

Whistling Women - FOR SALE

mast General Store - speculative Rumors - no location or confirmation

Skippy's (Hotdog Place on 4th) - OPEN

1st Presbyterian Church Expansion - OPEN

Marshal Street Town homes - Under Construction

Gallery Lofts - Under Construction - Model Unit Open

Mellow Muchroom - Open and thriving

Hookah Bar - Open

Recreation Billiards - Open

RJR Tobacco Lounge - Under Renovation

4th & Cherry Restaurant (at 4th and Marshall) - sign in window, no other progress

Contempo Casual - Restaurant Renovation - Failed Project... Contempo will remain in business

Finnegan's Wake (Irish Pub) - Open

Russell Agency - Construction nearing Completion

Research Park Expansion

Approved by all necessary - no actual construction

Southeast Gateway

YWCA - Under Construction

Gateway Residential Condos - construction has commenced

Happy Hill (included here because without this complete and impressive redo no amount of work at the

gateway would be worthwhile - no one would buy next to crime central) - Under Construction

Tar Branch Towers - Completed

Meridian (fine Dining Restaurant) - UOPEN - (And AWESOME)

Old Salem - New private residence - nearing Completion

Bruegers(sp) Bagels - Under renovartion

Goler Manor - Unde construction

Goler Enrichment Center - Under Construction

THE District - proposed (no othe info on this... but there is a nice picture in DWSP's window

Seventh and liberty (not sure but this could be same project as The District)

Liberty Place - proposed - I don;t have a lot of info on this one

XIA - rencently expanded

2nd street Tavern- new bar constructed with almost no attention - OPEN (located directly beside WEV)

- Not downtown but worth mentionng -

West End Tap room - renovated - now The Tap - Open

This is the former "Progress updates for downtown Winston" thread, and it has been pinned for the sake of easy reference.

I would suggest that you guys use this thread for the smaller, odds and ends downtown developments, while giving bigger developments their own threads.

New Developments

Bazaar - new multi-purpuse venue... live music and dancing above Downtown Deli... being opened by Owners of Ziggys (which is not closing)... I dfo hope that this turn into a real dance club in downtown winston... enough with the damn Jazz and Blues... not that I have anything against Jazz or Blues... but how about something more lively downtown... I want a place for the ladies to dance.

Ohh and the Tap at West End - (formerly West End Taproom) is Open and nicely done... 100% improvement.

New Developments

Bazaar - new multi-purpuse venue... live music and dancing above Downtown Deli... being opened by Owners of Ziggys (which is not closing)... I dfo hope that this turn into a real dance club in downtown winston... enough with the damn Jazz and Blues... not that I have anything against Jazz or Blues... but how about something more lively downtown... I want a place for the ladies to dance.

Ohh and the Tap at West End - (formerly West End Taproom) is Open and nicely done... 100% improvement.

Hell yea its about time downtown Winston gets some nice dance clubs.

Yeah I saw that article in the Journal, that is too bad. Its about this time that I regret that Winston has very little in the way of appropriate sites for the Mast General Store, a good chunk of skyscrapers but not a whole lot in the way of small 2-3 story buildings with a good, pedestrian scale, at least ones that are available. If Contempo Furniture had moved out of their spot on Fourth Street I'd say that that would be the most ideal place, hopefully though they are still shopping in the city somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

There are apparently a couple of openings to be announced over on Fourth Street! One restaurant is already open in the Nissen Building and two other openings are pending sometime over the summer.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645508988

Here's the other article mentioning some openings:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645507703

smitty wrote a full article about the Bazaar Club on 4th street. ziggy's owner says that the time is right for more dance clubs downtown.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1173351495074

Winston-Salem really needs to step it up in the downtown night club and dance venues. If Greensboro can do it, i know Winston can do it better. The problem with Winston is that they have had a bunch of old farts in charge who have almost killed the city over the years in terms of attracting a younger demographic, but I do believe things are changing and this is the time to move forward.

Get them teens outta here! lolz "The Drop" is a new event downtown that is held on Fridays. It's basically a huge block party for teens. It was formed after several complaints from folks downtown about the rowdy teen problem after large events, as many teens would wounder the streets downtown well into the night. I just caught this on Fox8 so please excuse me if I'm late on the topic.

smitty wrote a full article about the Bazaar Club on 4th street. ziggy's owner says that the time is right for more dance clubs downtown.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1173351495074

Winston-Salem has great nightlife potential for downtown. I think the city just needs new and young leadership. from what I understand there is an element that doesnt want nightclubs downtown and would rather for downtown to have a more artsy, professional, sophisticated feel rather than being a wild party town. That attitude has to change. Winston is really shooting itself in the foot because since downtown has limited nightlife options, people are headed over to Greensboro where they are more abundant. And if Greensboro gets this mega entertainment project which could have major venues drawing more national acts even more will head over to Greensboro. The city needs to stop dragging its feet and the fact that a few nightclubs opening up is a good start but leaders need to encourage that kind of development. It just takes a few successful clubs to build the momentum like it did in Greensboro. But Greensboro does have some additional pluses that has helped its downtown nightlife such as the number of colleges on the fringes of downtown (UNCG, A&T, Greensboro College, Bennett College, Elon Law School). Joey Medaloni said about 40% of his clientel at Much are college students It would be nice if Winston had a streetcar line connecting Wake Forest to downtown. Many college students could use the streetcar to go downtown and they woudlnt have to even worry about drinking and driving.

Edited by cityboi