Downtown Winston-Salem Developments

eddard

updates from the DWSP August newsletter...

One Park Vista is planned to be topped out in November.

Liberty Place is planned to break ground within the next 3 months.

a small 3 story office building at broad and 2nd is proposed to be extensively renovated. my guess is due the the ballpark development. this is the 3rd renovation project announced for that area since the balapark was greenlighted this past spring.

• 3 weeks later...

Caffe Prada Espresso Bar and Gelateria is coming to Fourth and Broad this fall at 390 Broad Street. Owners Alex Prada and Ken Hart just relocated to Winston-Salem after spending close to 20 years in New York City. The cafe will occupy 1,400 square feet and feature fresh coffee, espresso, pastries, gelato and prepared salads. Plans also include a small international food market with a number of gourmet products such as pasta, cheeses, bread, oils and Fabian Botta's famous take-and-bake "Botta Bing" pizza along with everyday grocery items.

Fourth and Broad

390 Broad Street

http://www.caffeprada.com/Home.html

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1173352538351

I'm very excited about this opening! This has been one my biggest complaints that downtown didn't have something similar to this. I feel they'll do quite a bit of business with the surrounding neighborhoods and rising downtown population.

the Acadia area is kinda iffy. i know some parts are pretty rough, but they hold a lot of promise in becoming nice urban neighborhoods. infill would work well here.

Another Subway?

SUBWAY is coming to 616 West Fourth Street. A lease for 1500 s.f. has been signed which will allow for 30-40 seats in the restaurant, which will be a second location for franchise owners who currently operate a Subway store at 8 West Third Street. Look for an early 2008 opening with operating hours Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Edited by twincity

• 1 month later...

I guess it's possible the second floor could be retail space for the grocery as well, but I highly doubt it..

The owners of Sweet Potatoes should be opening their new restaurant, the Cotton Exchange, by the end of the week at the Brookstown Inn. While Sweet Potatoes has been kind of a hip restaurant, the Cotton Exchange will be more upscale with lunch entrees $12 and under and dinner entrees ranging from $15-30.

Even though we've gained a restaurant, we've lost another. My Cousin Vinny's is closed and is for sale. It apparently just didn't do the business needed to stay open.

WSJ Artilce about Downtown W-S Restaurants.

his competiton was a few feet away. i think thats the reason why business wasnt so good.

that north side of the sawtooth needs to be revamped because every restaurant that has opened there has closed due to lack of business. maybe the arts council should just expand the exhibition space to this side?

• 5 weeks later...

coming from Smitty...

The Rush 24/7 Fitness Center is opening on the first floor and basement of the Twin City Building located 400 W. Fourth Street. Construction is scheduled to start really soon with an opening date in late spring/early summer of 2008. The center will occupy 22,000 square feet and will have state of the art fitness equipment, free weights, work classes like Pilates, spinning, kick boxing, yoga possibly a rock climbing station, juice bar, tanning beds, whirlpool, steam and sauna.

this was the site for the 4th and Cherry Restaurant but that deal fell through.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645508988

Edited by twincity

Designed By Snoozed is the newest studio in the Artists on Liberty Building with personalized stationery, business cards, invitations, Christmas cards and unique papers from all over the world.

Tuesday-Saturday

10 am to 5 pm

-----------------------

Kingz Grocery will open at the end of November.

-----------------------

Chris Barnes, owner of 6th and Vine, plans to open a bar and grille at the old Marshall McGearty Tobacco Lounge space. The restaurant will serve upscale bar food and have a sleek, modern look. It should be open in March.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed intcvlcphlga, how could they not have foreseen this? Though it is reassuring news that Jay is continuing to scout sites in the downtown area for a relocation of Ziggy's.

In other downtown news:

Burke Street Bakery is opening at 1130 Burke St.

Highlands Group Plastics Inc. is moving to the former Rubber Soul nightclub and will completely restructure the exterior at 1148 Burke St. Highlands will divide the space into 1,000 square feet for itself and 1,600 square feet for lease for other businesses.

I'm hesitant to start a whole new thread around one development alluded to in a Winston-Salem Journal paper editorial but apparently one of the editors at the journal alludes to a potentially significant development under proposal by a Baltimore developer that could really transform the industrial district over there, it also alludes to using and rehabbbing the old Power plant!!! :w00t:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...path=%2Fopinion

Edited by basket1058

Agreed intcvlcphlga, how could they not have foreseen this? Though it is reassuring news that Jay is continuing to scout sites in the downtown area for a relocation of Ziggy's.

In other downtown news:

Burke Street Bakery is opening at 1130 Burke St.

Highlands Group Plastics Inc. is moving to the former Rubber Soul nightclub and will completely restructure the exterior at 1148 Burke St. Highlands will divide the space into 1,000 square feet for itself and 1,600 square feet for lease for other businesses.

There's a WSJ article on Ziggy's from Sunday: http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645509099

Edited by intcvlcphlga

Renovation on the old Liberty Building at the corner of Broad and Second has begun:

Update 12-1-07

2079350705_6fbb2a5cc7_b.jpg

The Winston-Salem Symphony (along with possibly one other arts organization) is moving their offices into this building. With Piedmont Music Center across the street, this could turn into a small arts precinct for the west side of downtown.

very excited about the gym! thanks for the update pic.

i know a lot of people dont see why that building is worth saving? i must admit, i feel the same way, but if they have tenants already lined up to move in, then thats more good news for Broad Street. and who knows, the renovation may turn out nice? its said to be extensive.