City of Hudsonville "Striving to serve God"

OneSweetWorld

"Strive to serve God?"  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Should the city of Hudsonville remove this phrase from their mission statement?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
This most certainly DOES read as an endorsement of Christianity. Observant Jews wouldn't have the name of "G-d" in print, and I don't see Allah mentioned anywhere.

Will they try to advance the anti-Communism argument? That's how "under God" got into the Pledge of Allegiance... during the Red Scare, decades after the Pledge was written.

First, I would encourage you to re-read this thread as many of your points have been touched upon.

Secondly, the words "In God We Trust" first appeared on Federal Reserve notes (thats dollars for the people who have never looked at one) in 1963, long after our country declared it's independence in 1776. Our founding fathers had no say in how our current currency looks.

- http://www.moneyfactory.gov/document.cfm/18/107

You always see it at "God" in the bible. Notice the capitalization. Which brings me to your dictionary reference;

According to your very definition this has everything to do with Christianity. Because as your definition says, simply put, is that when the word God is capitalized it has one of two meanings one of which includes Christianity and the other being very close as well. And oh, the city's mission statement has it capitalized as well.

Archived