Development Careers

roningreensboro

I am currently studying to take the GMAT because I want to go back and pursue an MBA. UNC Charlotte has a program in Real Estate Investment and Development that I am considering but looking at how I will be doing a total 180 degree change in careers I need a little insight on how and what to do now to prep myself for this investment. Can any of you urbanplanters guide me on suggestions, books, etc. to get myself more involved in Development?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the move. I might be joining you in the fall. I had everything ready to go about 3 yrs ago and pulled out just as I started to change careers. I had some friends go through the program as it was just starting about 4-5 yrs ago and they had good things to say about it. 1 ended up in the RE biz and 1 opted to stay in transportation. It can be a tough biz to crack into. I would recommend joining any prof group you can in order to start building yr network as fast as possible. This would include any civic opportunities. From time to time there are community advisory type positions in places like parks & rec, DOT, etc that would be great to get into. Not sure what yr background is, but I personally have taken several of the construction courses (blueprint reading, resdtl construc methods, etc) to get up to speed on some of the lingo.

Congrats on the move. I might be joining you in the fall. I had everything ready to go about 3 yrs ago and pulled out just as I started to change careers. I had some friends go through the program as it was just starting about 4-5 yrs ago and they had good things to say about it. 1 ended up in the RE biz and 1 opted to stay in transportation. It can be a tough biz to crack into. I would recommend joining any prof group you can in order to start building yr network as fast as possible. This would include any civic opportunities. From time to time there are community advisory type positions in places like parks & rec, DOT, etc that would be great to get into. Not sure what yr background is, but I personally have taken several of the construction courses (blueprint reading, resdtl construc methods, etc) to get up to speed on some of the lingo.

Columbia, MIT and plenty of other schools also have master's degrees in real estate development. I talked to people who graduated from the Columbia program and what I got out of it was that (1) people were very satisfied with the programs, (2) jobs are gotten through networking, rather than on-campus interviewing, (3) salaries are lower than what you'd get with an MBA and (4) people from a variety of backgrounds and ages (even up to late 30s) come through the programs.

Having shifted career areas a few times, I'd just think that interviewing would be easiest if one has some kind of background that has at least some connection to real estate.

Thanks palmetto75, I have been trying to grasp how to attack this because it is all new to me. At the same time it interest me alot. My background is in Music and currently I am in the music retail buisness here in Greensboro but I have worked in new home construction. My brother as well is a residentail designer/commercial designer (a.ka. architect) in V.A. Beach. Now, are the community advisory positions like volunteer base or actual salary based positions? Does UNCC offer the courses that you mentioned too?

Archived