University City Projects/News

Andyc545

10 hours ago, mpretori said:

Elaborate....

If you step outside you will get squashed by a Buick. Its even worst than a radioactive wasteland because you can't protect yourself with a tinfoil hat.

While the rest of the world has become more ped friendly UCity has just added lanes and parking lots.

Edited by kermit

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the huge post, but I like this newly-moved business along the BLE line very much. I went to The Last Word today, coffee/book/music/video game store, at it's new location from that corner strip mall at Tryon/WT Harris. They're in the old Faulk Bros Hardware building. I got a look at it today, it's deceptively huge, and they own the main building, and the warehouse/workshop building behind it. I never would have thought this area to be good for this kind of business, but this bodes well for it. The buildings on the block are unique, and they all front the street, so it's got the basic urban design qualifications down.

Apparently the original main building was built in 1957 by a company who sold feed (hence why there are several cage rooms attached around the building). When it went out of business a year later, the Faulk brothers bought it and have been there since last year when they moved to a warehouse at Orr Rd and Old Concord Rd. The BLE construction/bridge made it hard for 16-wheelers to get into their lot, plus they'd been trying to scale down their operation for a while. But they didn't want it to get torn down by new owners.

They plan on installing their full coffee bar at some point soon at the front of the store near the full windows, and having their loading dock be a future patio as well. I'm looking forward to having coffee there when the BLE is completed. Now all we need is a bar to open up in the brick building next door. 

Here are a few pics of the exterior:

8.jpg

7.jpg

12.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

15.jpg

18.jpg

11.jpg

19.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

If you havent been to The Last Word, you gotta go. It is a true gem for Charlotte and especially the UC area. I LOVE this place. Ive traded books and they have been very fair with price. At the time they would give cash, or credit and of course you got more in credit if you chose that option. 

Its a great alternative to The Used Book Store in Plaza/MW. plus I feel The Last Word is cozier. Though I think the store in Plaza/MW has a little bit of a better selection. It really comes down to how far I wanna drive or where I already am in town. I frequent the Junior League Thrift Store so I probably go to the bookstore there more.

I was also very surprised at the bookstore at habitat for humanity on Wendover. Coffee, little tables and a great selection. The furniture there is super overpriced but fun to look at. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2016 at 9:07 PM, kermit said:

Boggles my mind that you guys still have some hope for U City. I wrote it off years ago despite (or because of) working there for 16 years. Its a friggen radioactive wasteland.

(I am a horrible prognosticator, so if there is hope for change I may be the last to see it)

It will take a long, long time, but UC will turn around eventually. Because it lacks 'bones' it won't happen over night, and it won't look like South End. It's been done in other places (Arlington, VA), and its been shown to work. Rail transit is a powerful development tool, and the private sector will take advantage of it. Charlotte's most similar place is probably South Park in that the area was incredibly suburban in design but is rapidly urbanizing. The city essentially says it can't widen the roads out there any more, so the neighborhood is looking at densification in different ways by adding street network and demanding a more urban product from development. I think University City will follow a similar model, except with rail and UNCC being the catalysts instead of a mall/retail and office cluster.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Skyybutter said:

If you havent been to The Last Word, you gotta go. It is a true gem for Charlotte and especially the UC area. I LOVE this place.

Yes. Also, their original location did not allow for an inviting coffee shop to function. This new location has the perfect look and feel for one. Plenty of space for tables, chairs, and couches, room for a full bar, and killer patio space on multiple spots around the building, all fronting the BLE. Even if that area doesn't develop for years, this will be a huge asset to have, bridging the "gap" between UC and NoDa/uptown.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

• 2 months later...

The latest one was heavily backfilled and that is why I think they are having foundation issues. The footings were probably not properly done or deep enough. The Crescent project was just badly engineered I think since it was sagging floor issue in the multi story wood structure.   Anyway both are student housing apartments and I think it was cutting corners or wanted to make a delivery date. Thats just my opinion but it is strange for sure. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For what it's worth this complex isn't too bad looking for UC. If we continue to see this kind of development an urban core could begin to form on 49. The school would do well to develop the corner of John Kirk and 49 but that doesn't seem to be one of their priorities right now.

Proposed rezoning at the  BLE McCullough Station (one story offices between Hampton Inn and the former Ham's).

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2016/107-121/2016-117 site plan.pdf

7-14-2016 4-04-02 PM.png

7-14-2016 4-03-03 PM.png

Proposed retail and multi-family across from Trader Joe's on Mallard Creek:

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2016/107-121/2016-115 site plan.pdf

• Like 1

On 7/16/2016 at 0:53 PM, mpretori said:

I hope this ends up well. That area right across the street on Mallard Creek has the Trader Joe's strip mall, which is pretty decent for strip malls, but the whole area really lacks a true Place. Caffecino functions, but their delivery lacks as well.

Here is the rezoning page and site plan

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Duke Energy is well underway with their approx. 160,000 sq ft office building on the site they own on Research Drive in Univ. Research Park. From what I heard some jobs will transfer from uptown probably 400 South Tryon building but maybe from others out here. It will a state of art customer center. They own about 94 acres so they have plenty of room to build more buildings. 

Edited by KJHburg
Building size correction
  • Like 1

More new development along N Tryon at University Place by the new light rail station. Where they Old Navy store used to be and before that a Food Lion will be a new retail strip center with new restaurants. http://www.universitycitypartners.org/university-place-getting-new-retail-development-near-lynx-station/   The light rail line is really start to change the University area now with the rezoning to knock down 2 single story office buildings at the Univ. Executive Park for a 5 story apartment tower and now this. Hopefully more redevelopment and new projects will come along. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

More new development along N Tryon at University Place by the new light rail station. Where they Old Navy store used to be and before that a Food Lion will be a new retail strip center with new restaurants. http://www.universitycitypartners.org/university-place-getting-new-retail-development-near-lynx-station/   The light rail line is really start to change the University area now with the rezoning to knock down 2 single story office buildings at the Univ. Executive Park for a 5 story apartment tower and now this. Hopefully more redevelopment and new projects will come along. 

Nice! But, I can't tell from that story, will the new stores be right up on the sidewalk on N Tryon? They'd work really well right there. And will the former Old Navy building be torn down?

I am not sure but it where the old navy store building was and they will tear it down (before that it was a Food Lion) my bet is that they will be closer to the street with parking behind facing interior.  I will drive by there soon and see exactly. I love Pei Wei and glad they are coming up there. 

• Like 1

Apologies if this is not the best thread for this, as I'm not sure what area this is technically considered but it seems like at least the far edge of UCity. 

I'm looking at buying a home in the area and see there is a large new road being constructed from Mallard Creek to the intersection of Sugar Creek and Grahm.  Visible clearly on google maps. It looks like part of the road will be a spur extending into University City Blvd.

Looks like the majority of the work is complete but the road is not open and it doesn't look like it is being actively worked on. Just curious what the status of this is? Thanks!

image.png

Edited by Matthew.Brendan