University City Projects/News

Andyc545

On 12/23/2016 at 3:55 PM, KJHburg said:

Scanned from my 1975 picture postcard folder of Charlotte:  UNCC 1975!  It looks like a community college campus! My older brother went here in the 1980s and this was about it maybe 1 or 2 more buildings.

FullSizeR(1).jpg

I know this is an old post but I just came across it today, I love seeing old pictures and looking where some of the new buildings and other development currently are. With that being said, are you sure this is from 1975 and possibly not a few years earlier? I ask because most of my classes have taken place in the McEnery building on campus (where the parking lot at the end of the shadow cast by the library tower is) and it's elevators clearly say they were tested in 1975 (I want to say early 1975, I can't remember the exact date) but looking at the tree colors this picture was probably taken at the start of fall, which counters that evidence. Even if I'm wrong about that part I would find it hard to believe that the elevators would have been ready for testing, even if the construction had started the day after this picture was taken, which I doubt.

19 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

I know this is an old post but I just came across it today, I love seeing old pictures and looking where some of the new buildings and other development currently are. With that being said, are you sure this is from 1975 and possibly not a few years earlier? I ask because most of my classes have taken place in the McEnery building on campus (where the parking lot at the end of the shadow cast by the library tower is) and it's elevators clearly say they were tested in 1975 (I want to say early 1975, I can't remember the exact date) but looking at the tree colors this picture was probably taken at the start of fall, which counters that evidence. Even if I'm wrong about that part I would find it hard to believe that the elevators would have been ready for testing, even if the construction had started the day after this picture was taken, which I doubt.

Possibly earlier as the only date I saw on the postcard folder was 1975 but it could be taken earlier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I feel like I might be reading into too much, but it seems telling that they included the Concord Mills flyover in their report at all.

How likely is the Concord Mills flyover going to be built? I've seen some talk about it over the years but nothing yet.

EDIT: After reading the report, it says construction will begin "Fall 2018" and take 2 years to build.

Edited by NCMike1990
adding detail
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

How likely is the Concord Mills flyover going to be built? I've seen some talk about it over the years but nothing yet.

EDIT: After reading the report, it says construction will begin "Fall 2018" and take 2 years to build.

I saw survey stakes this week and it is very likely to be built as it is approved. Because it is in Cabarrus County they pushed it to the top of their local roads improvement list.  the city of Concord contributed some to speed this up. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With AXA expanding by 550 jobs in University area's Innovation Park the question is where will they go? There is only 47,000 sq ft vacant in Innovation Park but there is plenty of land to build on around the site. Big win for the University area as Charlotte's 2nd largest employment hub. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2017 at 5:33 PM, KJHburg said:

I saw survey stakes this week and it is very likely to be built as it is approved. Because it is in Cabarrus County they pushed it to the top of their local roads improvement list.  the city of Concord contributed some to speed this up. 

ROW acquisition takes a long time. 2020 seems very reasonable and optimistic IMO. 

• 1 month later...

City is soliciting input on the next bridge over I-85 in University City. Looks like they're looking at some applied aesthetics to fancy up the bridge. (Not sure why they couldn't just do a functional free span bridge design instead of applied sculpture, but anyway)

https://medium.com/terms-of-service/gateway-to-the-city-740b5bcbbb82

bridge.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

City is soliciting input on the next bridge over I-85 in University City. Looks like they're looking at some applied aesthetics to fancy up the bridge. (Not sure why they couldn't just do a functional free span bridge design instead of applied sculpture, but anyway)

https://medium.com/terms-of-service/gateway-to-the-cit

1 minute ago, R.Talbott said:

Concept A looks neat

Maybe as a entance to mordor 

27 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

https://medium.com/terms-of-service/gateway-to-the-city-740b5bcbbb82

bridge.png

I like C the most.

7 minutes ago, R.Talbott said:

Concept A looks neat

I kind of like it too. It symbolizes Charlotte's large tree canopy.

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 1

My $.02: The tree is very unsettling to me. Something about this kind of weird representation of nature in the middle of a 70 MPH, 8-Lane concrete freeway triggers the inscrutable pessimist in me. I would much rather see planter walls with actual green things along site the bridge, or maybe trellises of vines crawling along the sculptural spans. Not to mention that would make it more pleasant for the peds & bikes that cross the bridge.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

My $.02: The tree is very unsettling to me. Something about this kind of weird representation of nature in the middle of a 70 MPH, 8-Lane concrete freeway triggers the inscrutable pessimist in me. I would much rather see planter walls with actual green things along site the bridge, or maybe trellises of vines crawling along the sculptural spans. Not to mention that would make it more pleasant for the peds & bikes that cross the bridge.

Get used to your future, Autobot.

• Haha 1

I voted "C," but none of them are riveting. I'm glad they're actually considering gateway elements such as this, though.  It's hilarious to approach the I-485 interchange on I-85 south and see the huge directional sign saying "SPARTANBURG."

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 6.33.27 PM.png

Edited by SentioVenia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SentioVenia said:

I voted "C," but none of them are riveting. I'm glad they're actually considering gateway elements such as this, though.  It's hilarious to approach the I-485 interchange on I-85 south and see the huge directional sign saying "SPARTANBURG."

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 6.33.27 PM.png

And the sad part of this, is even with these big gigantic signs, people still don't know what lane they should be in.  Switching lanes 50 feet before they exit is quite common!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...