University City Projects/News

Andyc545

This article is from Feb. 2017 but it summarizes some of the new development and redevelopment by the LYNX stations including the new Blu apartments, the gateway project across the street which has started, the new 5 story apartment building that will replace 2 single story office buildings by the McCullough station. etc You are going to see the University area change and remember it took awhile for all the growth in SouthEnd to happen along the LYNX line there and so will it be in the university area.   https://universitycitypartners.org/5-story-apartment-building-approved-near-mccullough-lynx-station/   However it going to change and density will increase especially around the stations.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Third Strike said:

I agree with your sentiments, but I definitely prefer this to the auto mall that was supposed to go there. Thankfully, there’s still plenty of empty parcels around the station to develop TOD, like the land across the street from the UC Blvd Station. 

Maybe it's just me, but i like this, assuming the remainder of the project is finished correctly. 

I was under the assumption that TOD includes access to entertainment, not just apartments, offices and coffee shops. 

I think a large entertainment district here (at the current end of the BLE and junction with 485), to include the Top Golf is great. If they throw in an IMAX, shops, dinning, apartments/town houses and the like. 

This is a place that will (or could if done right) attract lots of people. From those who will take the rail up from uptown or NoDa or soon to be created BLE population centers and those living in the burbs. 

But maybe, I just don't understand TOD and it should just all be five story apartment buildings with a Starbucks. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Looks like some news on the McCullough Drive building too, living down the road and having to drive by it all the time, I was wondering when that ugly thing was gonna be sold. With such a huge lawn and parking lot it could house some government offices and be well secured, looks like private investment though. 

Yes the old Allstate building on McCullough will be redone too and possibly expanding and would be a good option for Allstate believe it or not.  They are adding 2250 jobs in Charlotte that was announced this year and this building is within walking distance on the light rail station. So who knows they may attract them.   The building needs a severe overhaul but all that is cheaper than building a new building of that size. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The first transit accessible TopGolf in the Carolinas.   A  new Top Golf approved near the Univ. City Blvd LYNX station and will have a shuttle to it.  It is about 4 blocks from what I see from the back of the parking garage.  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article194986029.html?utm_content=buffer05f41&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/095-110/2017-108 site plan 5th rev.pdf    Here is the site plan 5th revised plan could be tweaked in final approval which happened tonight. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ four blocks requires a shuttle?

Maybe we can get  the bike sharing companies out there  I actually count 3 long blocks from the station but some people you know might want to bring their own clubs. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

image.png.6407c4fa780fb722ae8fa97b7f845ba3.png

Does anyone know what might be developed near the Mallard Wasterwater treatment center off of Highway 29?  In the last couple of weeks, there have been earth movers, construction trucks and A LOT of trees cut down.  There as been a TREVI VILLAGE sign there for about 2 years or so.  I remember before the 2008 market downtown, there was discussion to build a golf community that would straddle the Charlotte/Harrisburg limits....of course that fell through when the recession was in full force.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rancenc said:

image.png.6407c4fa780fb722ae8fa97b7f845ba3.png

Does anyone know what might be developed near the Mallard Wasterwater treatment center off of Highway 29?  In the last couple of weeks, there have been earth movers, construction trucks and A LOT of trees cut down.  There as been a TREVI VILLAGE sign there for about 2 years or so.  I remember before the 2008 market downtown, there was discussion to build a golf community that would straddle the Charlotte/Harrisburg limits....of course that fell through when the recession was in full force.

image.thumb.png.1f5b95b2d662bc723b9e8cd4d457053e.png

Here's at least the street plan. This is pretty up to date. Trevi Village, approve in August 2017

What I've seen from about a year ago
Tract 1: 450+ Senior Living
Tract 2: Commercial / Retail +/- 25,000 sf
Tract 3: Commercial / Retail / Restaurant +/- 75,500 & 9,500 sf
Tract 4: Medical Office +/- 75,000
Tract 5: 240+ Apartments
Hyatt hotel, based on what I last saw on site plan graphic, however can't confirm.

The rendering I have seen has red terracotta shingled roof and is around 4-5 stories.  Mostly surface parking, especially in Duke ROW, but looks like there may be one deck on tract 4.  All of thi

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scribe said:

8821 J W CLAY BV CHARLOTTE NC 28262 trying to be rezoned to B-1 TS (Transit Supportive) 2.19 acres.

TS overlay is targeting development around light rail stations that is not in UMUD zones.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2018/001-015/2018-009 application.pdf

OT, but do you have a link for the other 2018 rezoning petitions? The page on the charmeck site isn’t loading anything. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went through UC earlier today, and randomly thought about just how blisteringly different it really is. As much hell as we give (rightfully) some of the urban planning decisions in that area, it's easy to forget that less than 10 years ago Tryon & UC Blvd intersected in a really long ramped interchange. 

image.thumb.png.b1e3cf8b7b0dfb39a7fa7cf5a2ba8c13.png

• Like 3