University City Projects/News

Andyc545

^The City did slightly botch planning (or traffic forecasting) in the 29/49 "weave" by having to rebuild this segment of Tryon twice in less than a decade. Granted, the roadway project that went first still largely set up rail by removing the weaving interchanges and creating the ultimate median. But then, NCDOT required the City to add more lanes to Tryon when BLE was built.  Fortunately, this would be the only six-plus-lane segment, but this still increased project cost and rebuilt brand new curb and catch basins right after a City bond project had done so.

5 hours ago, southslider said:

^The City did slightly botch planning (or traffic forecasting) in the 29/49 "weave" by having to rebuild this segment of Tryon twice in less than a decade. Granted, the roadway project that went first still largely set up rail by removing the weaving interchanges and creating the ultimate median. But then, NCDOT required the City to add more lanes to Tryon when BLE was built.  Fortunately, this would be the only six-plus-lane segment, but this still increased project cost and rebuilt brand new curb and catch basins right after a City bond project had done so.

Sometimes I think about the 29/49 weave, and it seems like a mythical junction that never could have truly existed.

It was genuinely one of the worst ~1/4 mile stretches I had ever seen, and for two main roadways no less (not two highways! ).

Every time I had to get to NoDa from University I had a low grade panic attack. 

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

According to JLL 1st Quarter office market report, Cambridge Properties owner of the shopping center where a Kohls was formerly located is going to convert that retail space into office space.  So the 80,000 sq ft big box Kohls will become office space right in front of the LYNX JW Clay station ( a few feet down from it).   This is a good move and likely to attract an office user that wants lots of free parking but access to light rail as well.  I haven't heard this elsewhere but it makes sense.  

This is also happened at Arrowood station with a long vacant Walmart big box store into office space. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

According to JLL 1st Quarter office market report, Cambridge Properties owner of the shopping center where a Kohls was formerly located is going to convert that retail space into office space.  So the 80,000 sq ft big box Kohls will become office space right in front of the LYNX JW Clay station ( a few feet down from it).   This is a good move and likely to attract an office user that wants lots of free parking but access to light rail as well.  I haven't heard this elsewhere but it makes sense.  

This is also happened at Arrowood station with a long vacant Walmart big box store into office space. 

I noticed this a couple days ago. They already have a sign up advertising office space. It doesn't seem like a good fit for the space though? Really the whole complex interacts poorly with the rail line. It's set so far back and the sidewalk layout is bewildering. I wish they'd tear it down and build something new.

^^ actually for a call center type environment it would work wonderfully. Lots of free parking but also walking distance to LYNX station.   The old Super Kmart American Fare at Sardis Rd N and Independence is now a call center for an expanded Verizon operation.    Is it class A space no not really. Also could work as medical office space whatever it leases for it would be cheaper than traditional office space.   Call centers have high employee to per square foot ratios  basically they packed them in there. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tarwater said:

I noticed this a couple days ago. They already have a sign up advertising office space. It doesn't seem like a good fit for the space though? Really the whole complex interacts poorly with the rail line. It's set so far back and the sidewalk layout is bewildering. I wish they'd tear it down and build something new.

Without a tenant that cares about street visibility (Kohls), there may be interest in using some of the parking lot for redevelopment purposes. JLL bad mentioned redevelopment of that parcel before, do hopefully they didn't just revert back to doing as little as possible.

I both love and hate this idea. I love the fact that this won’t just be an empty building anymore. But I absolutely hate that this shopping center has about zero percent engagement with Tryon. I wish that either this was a teardown, or the parking lot was replaced with a deck wrapped by office/retail/res so that it had meaningful purpose while also engaging with the vision for that area. Sure, keep the building and use it for office, but place replace some, or all, of the parking lot.

I also noticed the other day how insanely diverse the Boardwalk area is. By diverse I’m of course describing the occupancy rates. Everything on the south side of the lake is full to the brim and bustling with pedestrians, while the north side, where there’s an Office Depot and pretty much nothing else anymore, is a ghost town that just serves as parking for the lake and Chick-fil-A. It’s unreal.

3 hours ago, AuLukey said:

I both love and hate this idea. I love the fact that this won’t just be an empty building anymore. But I absolutely hate that this shopping center has about zero percent engagement with Tryon. I wish that either this was a teardown, or the parking lot was replaced with a deck wrapped by office/retail/res so that it had meaningful purpose while also engaging with the vision for that area. Sure, keep the building and use it for office, but place replace some, or all, of the parking lot.

I also noticed the other day how insanely diverse the Boardwalk area is. By diverse I’m of course describing the occupancy rates. Everything on the south side of the lake is full to the brim and bustling with pedestrians, while the north side, where there’s an Office Depot and pretty much nothing else anymore, is a ghost town that just serves as parking for the lake and Chick-fil-A. It’s unreal.

The (south side of the) Boardwalk is a wonderful,  magical place, and every effort should be made to make that one of the "downtowns" of University City.

Sadly I see such an undertaking being far too complicated for the owners in the near future. After 2020 w the new UDO in place, we'll see...

The new retail in front of that section (next to JW Clay) did a decent job by making a central sidewalk to lead from Tryon to the boardwalk, and can act as a good placeholder until redevelopment can occur on a more by-right basis with the UDO/place types. 

• Like 2

I doubt that Waffle House is going anywhere. (that location is golden for them) However the rest of that little strip including strip club that surely will be redeveloped in the future when I don't know.  Those are older retail warehouse buildings built in the 70s or maybe earlier.   You will  see the densification of University area from this stop all up to JW Clay stop. 

• Like 1

Drive by photo of Trevi Village along N Tryon near the county line is finally under construction.  I think it was proposed in 2008 or so.  It will have senior apartments, apartments, some retail and a hotel I think that was the final plan approved.     http://latpurser.com/listings/trevi-village/

IMG_8278.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kermit said:

Bike lanes going in on N Tryon today. It feels awfully.... optimistic.

40A9C0B7-0DFD-4A40-B2FA-5F83E1DA62A0.jpeg

This is what happens when there is either too much opposition, or too little willingness to take risks*. Mediocrity that gives people more ammo to say any kind of improvement is a waste of money.

*He says from his peanut gallery

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In the early 70's that location was on rolling countryside with fields around it. It was an area ripe for development with UNCC in the distance. The Oaks, the county poorhouse (I do not know when the state built it but it was not new in 1972 when I went there for my license. License, tags and Highway Patrol office in the same location, two buildings. Quite the modern edifice, one level, lots of North Carolina red brick, glad to see it go.

Just north was Green Acres a home for aged and infirm, formerly the county poor house or poor farm as those housed assisted in raising their food. The original two story house from maybe early 1900's  was there in early 1970's at what is now the WT Harris and 29 intersection.

http://ninertimes.com/2012/11/shaded-by-the-trees-hidden-by-the-leaves/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Lol IDK about that. I can think of about 8 that are walkable to Marta stations in the A. 

well then in the Carolinas for sure! I have not seen any waffle houses on MARTA but I have not been to every station either. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

another example of how the LYNX is changing the University area.   Old closed Kohls location to be converted into office space due to proximity to JW Clay station. 

From the Business Journal

""Charlotte-based Cambridge Properties will upfit the former Kohl's at Mallard Pointe Shopping Center in University City into 87,000 square feet of office space. Kohl's shuttered in University City and relocated to Christenbury Corners in Concord last year.  At the former Kohl's — now being branded as 9315 North Tryon — Alexandra Mann, Barry Fabyan and Charley Leavitt at JLL are marketing the office space on behalf of Cambridge Properties. The amount of investment at the building and timeline for occupancy will depend on tenant needs and when a lease is signed, according to a spokesman for JLL. Upfits can begin as soon as a lease is signed.  ""

subscriber article 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/06/14/former-big-box-retail-store-in-university-city.html

• Like 3