University City Projects/News

Andyc545

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

^Love that this area is finally getting some love!  Hopefully with the redevelopment of this area, that it trickles down to the other shopping center across from the football stadium (where the old Kohls was, Food Lion, and better known as where the Chipotle is).  I heard they were planning on converting that old Kohls into office at one point, but not sure.  The UC area is a sleeping giant.  30k students @ UNCC , coupled with all the business research parks (Wells Fargo (CIC), Electrolux, IBM, etc)...the people are there, the money is quietly there, as well.  

Yea, it is really nice to see improvements here after watching nearly 20 years of decline around JW Clay.

The JW Clay station is generating a huge amount of pedestrian traffic (although I think some of it is from students parking at U Place). This area could quickly transform itself if they can find a way to establish a good pedestrian corridor from U Place to the Khols center to the Saucer center. I hope UCP is working on this since walking down the sidewalk on  Tryon aint gonna ever create a stroll district. Its going to be impossible to get the multiple property owners to work together but providing a decent carless environment is pretty critical if they want to entice regular student visits. If they keep their current crappy walkability students will just go to NoDa instead.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kermit said:

Yea, it is really nice to see improvements here after watching nearly 20 years of decline around JW Clay.

The JW Clay station is generating a huge amount of pedestrian traffic (although I think some of it is from students parking at U Place). This area could quickly transform itself if they can find a way to establish a good pedestrian corridor from U Place to the Khols center to the Saucer center. I hope UCP is working on this since walking down the sidewalk on  Tryon aint gonna ever create a stroll district. Its going to be impossible to get the multiple property owners to work together but providing a decent carless environment is pretty critical if they want to entice regular student visits. If they keep their current crappy walkability students will just go to NoDa instead.

Man, would love to see some kind of pedestrian corridor like you mentioned.  And to be honest, the shopping center where Flying Saucer is, needs some sprucing up, as well.  Not a very welcoming shopping center and besides Saucer, not to much there (worth walking to at least).  I think the Angry Ales closed down in there too.  To me, the biggest issue with Tryon near the Univeristy is the elevations, pictured below.  Can't access any of the stores from the sidewalk.  Which basically starts from Panera Bread all the way down to the Saucer (access through main entrances).  

1.png.6d226fa885c299908b8dd31ae2fa3de9.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Man, would love to see some kind of pedestrian corridor like you mentioned.  And to be honest, the shopping center where Flying Saucer is, needs some sprucing up, as well.  Not a very welcoming shopping center and besides Saucer, not to much there (worth walking to at least).  I think the Angry Ales closed down in there too.  To me, the biggest issue with Tryon near the Univeristy is the elevations, pictured below.  Can't access any of the stores from the sidewalk.  Which basically starts from Panera Bread all the way down to the Saucer (access through main entrances). 

You are right about the elevations, I didn't even think about that. They are a huge impediment to orienting pedestrians along Tryon.

It could be a huge amount of retail, restaurants and bars between the three centers. Enough to put just about any more established college strip to shame. Unfortunately the parking lots really ruin any chance for it to feel like a cohesive district, although U Place did an OK job of minimizing the negative aspects of all the asphalt.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:55 AM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

This makes more sense now that I see a visual for N. Tryon.  It's going to be more of a "rail trail".  But Tryon and the Boardwalks area with definitely become more dense with mix-used buildings and it appears will be all connected in various manners.  Future looks bright for the area.

stroll.png.4a88701f2ef4b67e29e6495f55254078.png

This looks incredible

• Like 2

The site plan for the TopGolf along I-85 at University City Blvd and IKEA Blvd is shown in the rezoning request.  It shows an office building next to Top Golf right by the highway and apartments and small shop restaurant space in front of TopGolf.   http://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2018Petitions/Pages/2018-123.aspx

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The site plan for the TopGolf along I-85 at University City Blvd and IKEA Blvd is shown in the rezoning request.  It shows an office building next to Top Golf right by the highway and apartments and small shop restaurant space in front of TopGolf.   http://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2018Petitions/Pages/2018-123.aspx

It also appears to show a new movie theater. Did we know about that one?

I had understood that the movie theater was going to be in a complex across Tryon from the U City parking deck.  It's cool that it's by TopGolf though to have that real entertainment district.  

One thing that seems weird is that the large existing building looks like it's somewhat industrial - is it active?  The reason I ask is that all of the parking for the movie theater and TopGolf are going to be around it.  And that will stick out in a weird way from the TopGolf front doors.

Also, what is Parks Chevrolet going to do with all of their cars that are currently parked in that large lot?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ClearSky has a new gallery focusing on that huge undeveloped parcel at Hwy 49/I-485. I think this land is supposed to eventually be a business park called "Caldwell Business Park", I believe. 

https://photos.clearskyimages.com/2018-10-485-land-parcel-charlotte-nc-aerials

I thought it was interesting that Clear Sky now has a gallery for it. Wonder if there will be some movement here soon?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The rezoning for the new Top Golf in the university area near IKEA is for just the HD huge screens.  See the attached pdf file from the community meeting presentation.  They look okay since there is no residential nearby.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2018/113-125/2018-123 community report.pdf

Good stuff starts about page 27 with the site plan then the following pages are the HD screens and how it will look from the exit ramp and I-85

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The rezoning for the new Top Golf in the university area near IKEA is for just the HD huge screens.  See the attached pdf file from the community meeting presentation.  They look okay since there is no residential nearby.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2018/113-125/2018-123 community report.pdf

Good stuff starts about page 27 with the site plan then the following pages are the HD screens and how it will look from the exit ramp and I-85

Do you think construction will start in Q2?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...