University City Projects/News

Andyc545

While I think its a crime that the areas within walking distance of the station sites have not been rezoned yet, this particular parcel backs up to I-85 --honestly what other land use could reasonably go there? When you take the limited potential of this parcel and combine it with the potential of the Tom Hunter and Eastway parcels I kinda think its a reasonable choice to make. I would like to see the Park's _commit_ to putting their old parcels in play. 

The rumor of the dealership going in on the other side of Tryon troubles me far more than the mall proposal.

You don't think the Tom Hunter station will see any development? 

Costs a lot of money to demolish buildings and replace them. Why add on that cost to your project when there are plenty of other open plots of land available?

Sure it'd be redeveloped eventually, but I don't think it'd be the most attractive place for developers. It's already getting into what most people view as a sketchy part of town.

It will be just like South Corridor, or very little development beyond the first two miles outside. Uptown.

Call me a naive fool, but I thought that with the number of employing and major companies in the University City area plus the University, and (even if badly planned) sense formations of density - the two main University City area BLE stops would actually result in more than the dead land of the south side that you mention.

Edited by Urbanity
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mary Hopper is no longer the chief poohbah at UCP. Curt Walton has replaced her as interim director.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/10/mary-hopper-out-at-ucp-curt-walton-is.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't have enough faith in UCP to think that this this is a result of the car lot debacle.

• 2 weeks later...

The site is larger than I first thought it was going to be.  I only wished they were able /will some day be able to take that kind of density on UCity Blvd from Mallard Creek Church to North Tryon with street fronted retail throughout.

It won't happen I know (believe me I know) but wouldn't that had really made the strip feel like it earned it's U City name?

WFAE had a segment this morning on the Arcadia development.  

The thing that shocked me was this part:  The complex will have room for 760 students.  Rents start at $525 per student per month and go up to $1,150 for what Howie calls a one person cottage.  That’s close to the range students pay to stay in UNC Charlotte dorms. 

I really had no idea that residential costs were that high on campus.  Hell if I was a student I would move off campus as well.

The main thing though is the focus on the three developments with a sort of harbinger of developments to come.

Edited by Urbanity

WFAE had a segment this morning on the Arcadia development.  

The thing that shocked me was this part:  The complex will have room for 760 students.  Rents start at $525 per student per month and go up to $1,150 for what Howie calls a one person cottage.  That’s close to the range students pay to stay in UNC Charlotte dorms. 

I really had no idea that residential costs were that high on campus.  Hell if I was a student I would move off campus as well.

The main thing though is the focus on the three developments with a sort of harbinger of developments to come.

Rents were close to that when I moved off campus after my sophmore year in 2009.  $525 is actually cheaper than several of the older apartment complexes on the boarder of campus.  Regardless, UNCC keeps adding and filling new dormatories each year, so appearently doesn't bother a lot of students (or their families).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/12/lincoln-harris-buys-24-acre-university-city-site.html

Johnny Harris' group bought the land previously slated to be a BoA campus. Hopefully we end up with something relatively urban. Proximity to light rail is mentioned in the article, and if it is tied in with the greenway, it would actually be a relatively short walk to the light rail stop on campus I believe.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/12/lincoln-harris-buys-24-acre-university-city-site.html

Johnny Harris' group bought the land previously slated to be a BoA campus. Hopefully we end up with something relatively urban. Proximity to light rail is mentioned in the article, and if it is tied in with the greenway, it would actually be a relatively short walk to the light rail stop on campus I believe.

Maybe Johnny Harris is getting into the Car Dealership business. Last time I was in town, I was at Roosters in SouthPark and he strolled up with a dog and a large bojangles cup of sweet tea, and ate amongst us unwashed masses. My grandmother was mortified.