University City Projects/News

Andyc545

• 1 month later...

Didn't snap any pictures, but I was in the University area on Monday. Circle is coming along nicely. It is pretty well done considering the location. The apartments going in at the intersection of 49 and Mallard Creek Church also look pretty promising.

Arcadia is just as ugly and terrible as expected. Such a waste of a nice piece of land on the corner or Tryon and 49.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely not! The Highland Creek/Prosperity/Eastfield area is nowhere near being a part of University City.  Take it from a guy that moved from one to the other a couple years back. They have about as much in common as Southpark and South Blvd/Tyvola intersection do, and those are MUCH closer together.   Prosperity and Northlake areas are 100% not part of University, if you drew a border that included those two, you would have to basically circle a quarter of the city.  I would say that University City ends right around where Tradition Gold Club ends, about a mile North of Mallard Square (where Mallard Creek Ch Rd becomes Prosperity Church Rd.)

However, while we are on the topic, I too have noticed the "Say No to Multifamily Housing" signs.  Those signs are not what you think.  They are referring to the plans that have swayed away from the original.  The neighborhood associations are pushing to keep the original, Birkdale-esk , village style plans. However, the developers are now little by little trying to sway more towards apartment complexes and strip-mall style retail around the 485 interchange where the Publix is also planned.  The signs are trying to get people active to prevent this change.  They are hoping to prevent an influx of renters in the new development.  The area has been growing with town house developments that are surprisingly incorporated with small bits ground level retail, see the 201 Central complex at Eastfield and Prosperity (now Loganville Dr during 485 construction) for an example of what people in the area are seeing as a baseline for what the 485 interchange should be more like.  While that complex is not the most urban, it is much more ideal than the typical strip mall that the developers are attempting to push towards.

I understand what you're saying and would have thought that before living where I do.  However, take a look at this map.  It's pretty clear that "University City" is a very large area...

http://universitycitypartners.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/9090_Trade-Area-Map_050214.pdf

Therein lies the problem with University City Partners IMO.  

I think planning wise it would make more sense if UCity was bounded pretty much within the confines of the University, University Research Park to Governor's Village and the NTyron/U City Intersection.  Made a bad sketch up from map below

post-24262-0-93252300-1404827709_thumb.p

By making the University City moniker cover  almost everything on the North side of Charlotte above Old Concord Road/N. Tryon is ridiculous.  No wonder the UCITY Partners kind of crap out on planning (e.g. Car lot next to Light rail stop).

Edited by Urbanity
  • Like 2

I understand what you're saying and would have thought that before living where I do.  However, take a look at this map.  It's pretty clear that "University City" is a very large area...

http://universitycitypartners.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/9090_Trade-Area-Map_050214.pdf

That map actually highlights University City and University Research Park in Green as the Municipal Service District  To me that is highlighting the core of what University City is.  The surrounding area they highlight in yellow is the "Trade Area."  I would imagine the same map for Uptown would include Southend, NoDa, Dilworth, etc. as trade districts.

Actually, what sickens me to the core is the Charlotte Chamber's map of Mecklenburg county divided by residential zones (which is a bit dated, from back in 2008)

Map_Large.gif

Eastland Mall?  Really Charlotte Chamber?  I think it might be high time for an update to your map for residents.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found the following article regarding some recent comments made by UNCC's chancellor. The article is very short on details but mentions that the school is planning for a law school and a medical school. I know the chancellor has, in the past, stated that he wanted to start these programs but have not read anywhere that the school is planning for them. Here's hoping that these plans become a reality.

http://www.thesnaponline.com/news/local_news/article_a7255ca6-095e-5aea-901f-db2276a1511b.html?mode=jqm

• Like 1

From the article posted above: "Other than the high-rise dorms, the campus was a mix of brick and contemporary glass structures during the ‘70s and ‘80s. But new construction began the makeover with traditional brick buildings historically found on college campuses. Plans include putting a brick facade around those older dorms so they, too, blend into the new concept."

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!  Please, make the brick monster stop!!

• Like 1

^ medical school means (at best) pasting a UNCC label onto the edge of the UNC Chapel Hill-- Charlotte branch med school campus and having a few biology and nursing faculty do some research over there.

The law school has been a very low priority item on Phil's wish list for years, he trots out the concept at public outreach events but it never gets discussed on campus. Since campus is bursting at the seams and the UNC system has been clear that there will be no new buildings in Charlotte for at least seven years (and that will be a new chemistry building) there will be no space for the new school. Its safe to say the UNC system budget makes a law school impossible within the next ten years and (IMO) is unlikely to ever happen.

• Like 1

I doubt we'll see a med school or law school anytime soon. These kind of things have to go through GA and the Board of Governors, which is unlikely to happen in the near future.

By the way, UNC Charlotte now has the 2nd highest undergrad population in the UNC system, only behind NC State.  Total students for Fall 2014 are over 27,000.

It would be great is UNC-Charlotte could have a medical and/or law school. What would be even better is if in stead of worrying about bricks on dorm buildings, they could change the name to University of Charlotte. I just hate that. 

Won't happen with the current chancellor. He has made it very clear he is in favor of the UNC branding on the name.

Maybe the next Chancellor will take that leap. This one has already left his mark on the school with football and the Levine Scholarship program. He's not going to tackle another major (and controversial) topic.

This "University of Charlotte" issue has an interesting precursor. Indiana University and Purdue University had branches in Indianapolis. The legislature wanted to combine them into a single campus and the name could be something neither Purdue nor Indiana to avoid favoring one over the other. While the discussion continued a much smaller local church based college, Indiana Central, changed to University of Indianapolis. So now we have the Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis (Oooey Pooey).

Someone can steal your name.

• Like 1