University City Projects/News

Andyc545

7 hours ago, Third Strike said:

Topgolf is dropping its plans for a second location near Mallard Creek and I-85. NIMBY and the discovery of a slave cemetery were cited as the reason. They're still researching for a second location in the Charlotte area. 

My bet is that they end up a couple exits north in Cabarrus or maybe by the University City Blvd IKEA exit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

My bet is that they end up a couple exits north in Cabarrus or maybe by the University City Blvd IKEA exit. 

Agreed did you see that announcement about a new entertainment district in university near IKEA? They even mentioned possibly having some type of golf facility 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, CLTranspo said:

Agreed did you see that announcement about a new entertainment district in university near IKEA? They even mentioned possibly having some type of golf facility 

No I did not. Make sense there is still a lot of vacant land off exit 43 Univ City Blvd IKEA exit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Third Strike said:

Topgolf is dropping its plans for a second location near Mallard Creek and I-85. NIMBY and the discovery of a slave cemetery were cited as the reason. They're still researching for a second location in the Charlotte area. 

I'm surprised a "big box" style business like that is a thing right now. It would be another nail in the U City coffin if they end up there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2017 at 9:39 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

I'm surprised a "big box" style business like that is a thing right now. It would be another nail in the U City coffin if they end up there.

I think TopGolf is perfect for that area. If that entertainment district is done right, the proposed businesses along with TopGolf (which has been a HUGE draw in southwest Charlotte) will be remarkable for the area. All those families, people who want to socialize but find bars unacceptable,  and underage college students need something to do. While it may not be hip or exciting to the rest of us, I'm hoping this happens & I expect it to really wake that area up.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I think TopGolf is perfect for that area. If that entertainment district is done right, the proposed businesses along with TopGolf (which has been a HUGE draw in southwest Charlotte) will be remarkable for the area. All those families, people who want to socialize but find bars unacceptable,  and underage college students need something to do. While it may not be hip or exciting to the rest of us, I'm hoping this happens & I expect it to really wake that area up.

Heard. But will it have the main entrance on the sidewalk forming a wall of building, or will it have a big parking lot between the entrance and the street? To me that matters more than any use.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Heard. But will it have the main entrance on the sidewalk forming a wall of building, or will it have a big parking lot between the entrance and the street? To me that matters more than any use.

I have no idea as the whole thing is just conceptual at this point, but given the parking disaster they created in Whitehall (which many people have publicly vented about), they may be a little more cognizant of what they're doing this time around. 

21 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I have no idea as the whole thing is just conceptual at this point, but given the parking disaster they created in Whitehall (which many people have publicly vented about), they may be a little more cognizant of what they're doing this time around. 

Does the outlet mall still have a parking problem? I remember in the 2-3 months after it opened there was rampant overflow parking in the adjacent neighborhoods. Does that still happen?

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Does the outlet mall still have a parking problem? I remember in the 2-3 months after it opened there was rampant overflow parking in the adjacent neighborhoods. Does that still happen?

It does in Nov and Dec there are still problems at the premium outlets. As more of the vacant land gets developed around the outlet mall there less and less unpaved parking is available. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mpretori said:

No it is not. Just not a lot of details about it but it concerns this rezoning. http://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2017Petitions/Pages/2017-108.aspx

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, kermit said:

To all of the haters who thought UNCC was making a mistake taking down the Bell tower -- you guys were just being silly. The new plaza looks fantastic the week before the academic year begins:

/sarcasm/

Rather see my tuition dollars have gone to the repair of the tower. The fact that the university neglected its condition is horrible. 

• Like 1

Here is a place Allstate could go in the University area close to their existing Innovation Park offices. This Flextronics building could be more than enough space with some renovations. http://cdx.xceligent.com/Attachments/016/13150016.pdf   They would need 300K sq ft or so for their 2250 job expansion. This would be a good reuse of this space in my opinion. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Another possibility for Allstate is the building they left if they renovate it and maybe add one. The one across I-85 from their new offices. It is 200K sq ft and it is at 401 McCullough and it is walking distance to new light rail station. 

now if only the light rail would open on time, we could have demonstrated how convenient/efficient it is to get Uptown from University City. :rolleyes:

• Like 1