University City Projects/News

Andyc545

On 8/5/2017 at 3:42 PM, tarwater said:

Construction on the new plaza starts in October last I heard. But yeah, it doesn't look so great right now. I do miss the tower.

I don't know but during my time at UNC Charlotte, it was always called the heroin needle, so I am kinda glad something fresh is coming.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

EVERYONE says that. I once saw a shirt with it on it and its pic. It was like "UNCC Home of the Giant Hypodermic Needle"

That nickname must have come along after I graduated. I'm certainly not saying that no one said it, I just don't think I ever heard anybody say it. We actually thought it looked a little more like something a woman might find stimulating.

• Like 1

So still...not what the original planners though of. Regardless, everyone was young once and had an imagination that went places. Unless it's a Superman statue with color, people will be like, that looks like...

And if you get angry or have problems with somebody's friends saying something, jump off a bridge, all your friends are not great also! 

Edited by Popsickle
Friends

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Pretty sure it's Arcadia student community at the ear corner of N Tryon and Uni City Blvd.

Super cute/attractive! Except for them being isolated from the street.

Yes, that's the name. Thank you. I think them being isolated adds to the charming weirdness of it all.

I do have a track record on here, however, for liking everything as much as the rest of you all hate everything, so let that speak for itself. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Yes, that's the name. Thank you. I think them being isolated adds to the charming weirdness of it all.

I do have a track record on here, however, for liking everything as much as the rest of you all hate everything, so let that speak for itself. 

The stretch of N Tryon St around Tom Hunter Station has a good chance of becoming attractive, with its at-grade station. It'll probably be Scaleybark style.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Looks like the 2nd location of TopGolf will go here at University City Blvd and I-85 but within walking distance to the light rail station.  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article185718628.html

A. Should be transit development around transit but they already ruined this area unfortunately

B. I've never been, heard only good things from those who have, still can't imagine these will be a thing in 10 years

^^^ This site is at least 4 blocks maybe more from the transit station and could be easily redeveloped in the future for another development. This site backs right up to I-85 not a likely site for any high end residential development.   Around this station already is a new apartment complex to the south Blu and another huge one across the street to be built.  

• Like 1

Walked around Blu this weekend (gf's sister is moving there).  Amenities in the club house and the pool are incredibly nice.  Having lived at Circle in Southend (never Post haha) for three years I thought that was nice.  But this, fitness center especially is on another level.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JBS said:

A. Should be transit development around transit but they already ruined this area unfortunately

B. I've never been, heard only good things from those who have, still can't imagine these will be a thing in 10 years

I agree with KJH that's it's far enough from the station and this is just part of a planned 56 acre (this site is 14 acres) entertainment district that will include mixed use. 

I think it is a great place honestly, even more so as the area matures. This will give local residences something they can do that isn't going to a micro-brewery or ordinary restaurant.  This is somewhere people of all ages can enjoy, not just adults. 

I believe if you want residents to actually think about giving up their vehicles or reducing their dependency on them, you have to provide them with different forms of entertainment within close proximity. 

What will make or break the area is the remainder of the development, not Top Golf. 

Edited by Popsickle
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, JBS said:

^^

Fair enough.  I don't like what is being built near transit in the UC area though...

I agree with your sentiments, but I definitely prefer this to the auto mall that was supposed to go there. Thankfully, there’s still plenty of empty parcels around the station to develop TOD, like the land across the street from the UC Blvd Station. 

• Like 2

Does anyone know if the new Park’s Chevrolet is planning to whittle down its stock over the coming year? They have a ton of cars in the undeveloped area behind their new dealership, and if they plan to keep that as a car lot then it’s a damn shame. I was hoping it would be more like a “European” dealership where they have a few of each model on site and if you don’t care for those, you can custom order or have one shipped from another dealer. At least a parking deck like Scott Clark’s Toyota on Independece would free up space and frankly be a bit more sightly than a cheaply paved empty lot.