University City Projects/News

Andyc545

19 hours ago, AuLukey said:

To alleviate parking strain for the boardwalk, add a deck next to where the Chick-fil-A is currently and call it a day.

I read that as "where the Chick-fil-a is currently" instead of "near where" and I was about to throw down on you man. Don't mess with my "every day but Sunday' treat. 

• Like 1

I read that as "where the Chick-fil-a is currently" instead of "near where" and I was about to throw down on you man. Don't mess with my "every day but Sunday' treat. 

I very carefully worded it that way to avoid exactly that. I say attach the “proposed” deck to the front of Office Depot (a la Midtown Target/TJ/BB) and cover that entire lot. Or just tear down that building and build something that actually engages the lakefront better than the blank backside of a retail big box.

This is UNC Charlotte news but since it is this hotel and conference I will put here.  Some taxpayer funding from the hotel taxes for this hotel conference center according to this.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/06/26/unc-charlotte-plans-84m-hotel-conference-center-on.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2018-06-26&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1530051308&j=82371261

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

These 280 apartments are well underway now.  The 2 single story office buildings gone and lots of site development work being done for this 5 story building right by the McCullough LYNX station.  

refresher story https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/05/02/university-area-business-park-slated-for.html

1st photo from N Tryon 2nd photo from Univ. Exec Park drive. 

IMG_2441.JPG

IMG_2442.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

New TopGolf and mixed used development moves forward with rezoning petition.  Apartments and 5 story office building are also proposed.  All off IKEA Blvd and walking distance to University City LYNX station. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/10/01/second-topgolf-location-for-charlotte-moves-step.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2018-10-01&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1538422179&j=84135651

A lot of potential in that area...too bad the Chevy dealership takes up a lot of that space.  But also curious...U-City deck has a bunch of retail spots, however, it appears that none of the new apartments being built have any street-level retail at the bottom.  I know Blu doesn't and it doesn't look like the new ones across from U-City deck do either.  With this entertainment district, accompanied by the retail slots in the parking deck, I would think developers would want to put some retail in their apartments to make it somewhat of a walk-able area.  N.Tryon isnt much right now, but they need to think further out of what it can/will become.   

^^^ Correct Blu and the new Oxford Properties apartments across from the LYNX station will have no retail.  The city seems to requiring retail along the streets and parking behind from what I have seen on IKEA Blvd.  I dont think the area behind the LYNX garage will be a retail street but apartments by this new TopGolf will help generate residents in the area.  The problem now is until recently there was no one living nearby really within walking distance of the UC station but that is changing now. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

The Business Journal is reporting that the Shops at University Place have been acquired by a Dallas company that will do a mixed use project on the site and this is walkable to the JW Clay LYNX station.   Here is my research on the new owner.  EB Arrow is owned by China Everbright a Chinese company.  

From the subscriber article

""Dallas-based fund manager EB Arrow has purchased University Place I and II for nearly $18.2 million, according to Mecklenburg County real estate records. The 290,000-square-foot shopping center occupies more than 30 acres total, including the 19.6-acre site at 8662 J.W. Clay Blvd., which has frontage on University City's 15-acre lake. University Place was developed in 1996.  EB Arrow specializes in retail property investment and asset management — in particular buying and repositioning existing retail.  "The property is currently a shopping center (and) the master plan zoning there is for mixed-use development," said Mike Burkard, senior vice president at CBRE. Burkard and Steve Shields at CBRE represented the seller, Aegon USA Realty Advisors, in the transaction. Aegon acquired University Place I and II in 2015.  Today, the property is 44% occupied, anchored by retailers Ross Dress for Less, Michaels, Office Depot, Guitar Center and Rack Room Shoes.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/10/05/university-city-shopping-center-acquired-targeted.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-10-05&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1538773433&j=84238931

s.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The Business Journal is reporting that the Shops at University Place have been acquired by a Dallas company that will do a mixed use project on the site and this is walkable to the JW Clay LYNX station.   Here is my research on the new owner.  EB Arrow is owned by China Everbright a Chinese company.  

From the subscriber article

""Dallas-based fund manager EB Arrow has purchased University Place I and II for nearly $18.2 million, according to Mecklenburg County real estate records. The 290,000-square-foot shopping center occupies more than 30 acres total, including the 19.6-acre site at 8662 J.W. Clay Blvd., which has frontage on University City's 15-acre lake. University Place was developed in 1996.  EB Arrow specializes in retail property investment and asset management — in particular buying and repositioning existing retail.  "The property is currently a shopping center (and) the master plan zoning there is for mixed-use development," said Mike Burkard, senior vice president at CBRE. Burkard and Steve Shields at CBRE represented the seller, Aegon USA Realty Advisors, in the transaction. Aegon acquired University Place I and II in 2015.  Today, the property is 44% occupied, anchored by retailers Ross Dress for Less, Michaels, Office Depot, Guitar Center and Rack Room Shoes.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/10/05/university-city-shopping-center-acquired-targeted.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-10-05&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1538773433&j=84238931

s.

Perhaps filling in the parking lots with something excellent and making a true downtown experience?

7 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Perhaps filling in the parking lots with something excellent and making a true downtown experience?

More from that article it all sounds exciting and I knew this would be redeveloped at some point just need to the right person.  

""EB Arrow plans to redevelop parts of the property into a mixture of uses, Burkard said, adding the new owner will work with existing tenants and that retail will continue to be part of the mix."We had strong interest from local, regional and national developers, (including) larger firms with a long-term view of the opportunity and the steps that need to be taken to get to that goal of freeing up some of the underlying land for redevelopment," Burkard said.""

Here is their deep pocketed Chinese investors

https://www.eba-us.com/   I have been to 5th and PCH in Huntington Beach in Orange County and driven by Burbank Town Center 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

KJH, didnt want to get off topic in the other thread but look at my post in Drinking beer in clt lol, pretty crazy. Top golf 2/entertainment district will be cool, but years away to buildout. Boardwalk area already has the footprint, just needs some TLC. Tryon could be special too across from university. Starting from jw deck all the way to where flying saucer is. Especially across from stadium (chipotle and old kohls). Problem is the elevation from the street to the parking lots. Someone on here awhile back ago posted the city plans for a "downtown" type thing along tryon. The new hotel at uncc along tryon and across from lightrail station is a good start. The university area is a sleeping giant. There are many fortune 500 companies working all around the research parks there. High employment sector. I believe university has second largest employment by numbers other than uptown, I forget if that's still true but too many beers in to research lol. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

Yes that new brewery proposed Armored Cow Brewing is in  a building along JW Clay in front of Sams Club.  It is not actually in the area of EB Arrow bought which is more the big boxes across the street that back up to the lake.  There is fantastic potential in this area and it was stated above correct that the university area is the 2nd biggest employment hub in Charlotte after uptown.   University Place was one of Charlotte's first truly mixed used developments back in the 1980s and now the the LYNX line I think it will start redeveloping into a higher density development with good bones like the the lake, the huge Hilton Hotel etc. 

• Like 2

The boardwalk/Wine Vault area of University Place is the best shot that University City has at creating a true "College Town" hangout area that is accessible to students and the gen-pop alike. All that's missing is: 1) That parking lot around Wine Vault area to get filled in (with proper mixed-use), and the built environment between the edge of campus and U Place to be filled in with sidewalk-abutting buildings, and high quality crosswalks to cross N Tryon St.

Hopefully this goes through, and goes well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Still need some damn sidewalks along McCullough, considering there is a transit station of literally the same name. I've seen on numerous occasions people who I assume are hotel guests walking along the cow path along the curb of McCullough to get to the station from the Home2, and Drury Inn. 

• Like 2