University City Projects/News

Andyc545

New video from NCDOT on the proposed widening of Hwy 49.

Wanna know a great way to make what should be a pedestrian-friendly area that already has poor walkability even worse? Widen it and make gigantic u-turn lanes.

R.I.P. UCBlvd’s potential to become a more urban street.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 4

When a "super-street" design fails to make a complete street, just rebrand it as "reduced conflict intersection."

Transportation engineers used to think that center two-way left-turn lanes were the answer, and so that design was built everywhere. Now, medians and U-turns are their answer to moving more cars at all costs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 7:05 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

So upon watching the video, I am hesitantly supportive of this for the sole reason that they say they are adding multi-use trail paths on both sides of the road, and including signalized pedestrian cross walks at multiple spots. This was my biggest problem with UC Blvd when I lived across from campus years ago.

Screenshot_20190424-071010.png

Screenshot_20190424-071026.png

To use the signalized crossing, one will need to push not one, but two, beg buttons. Reach crosswalk, push button, wait on light to change, cross to middle, then start process all over again.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2019 at 5:54 PM, NCMike1990 said:

New video from NCDOT on the proposed widening of Hwy 49.

This is actually much needed. From the Cabarrus/Meck line all the way to N.Tryon is a nightmare during rush hour. And 24/7 for pedestrians.  

From 485 to UNCC, there are too many stop lights. Ditch the left turn to Back Creek Church Rd for starters. That way outbound 49 traffic has more green. 

Maybe Pavilion BLVD should keep lights, and just get rid of Back Creek altogether. Run it into Pavilion somehow. Its a mess for sure.

21 hours ago, KJHburg said:

the office building proposed looks great from the above referenced article also from the Biz Journal story:

""EB Arrow, which acquired University Place One and Two last year for about $18.2 million, is planning a five-story, 182,000-square-foot building with office, civic and ground-floor retail space; Novel University Place, a 308-unit garden-style multifamily property to be developed by Crescent Communities; a 2.5-acre lakefront linear park with a children’s play area; and renovations to much of the pedestrian trail around the lake at University Place.  That first phase of development is contingent upon approval of a rezoning petition, the hearing of which is planned for Monday. Later phases at the project could include medium-density residential, additional office space or a hotel, EB Arrow says. Construction on phase one would take about 18 to 24 months, according to a spokesman for the developer. An investment amount was not disclosed.  If approved, EB Arrow expects to begin demolition of existing buildings at the center by the first quarter of 2020. Existing retailers Michaels, Office Depot and Ross Dress for Less will likely relocate to another nearby retail center on the opposite side of J.W. Clay Boulevard, also owned by EB Arrow, where Guitar Center now operates. University Place was 44% leased at the time of sale.""

this is great news for the University area and with the new Marriott hotel across the street the UNCC Foundation is building this area is going to change for the better. 

Here you go with the office building rendering.

http://eba.propertycapsule.com/properties/watersedge/

Great, now things heat up once I move away. It's whatever, my brother will be at UNCC till at least 2021, so I'll have reasons to go up there still. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allthingsplanes said:

Does anyone know the latest on the new TopGolf location?  I haven't seen any construction beginning on that yet...

They were approved for 30-ft signage and additional lighting in April so I’m assuming it’s still happening. TopGolf is also opening one of their Swing Suites in Uptown. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 10:05 AM, AuLukey said:

No. Just no. Take it from a guy who drives in/around a reduced conflict intersection almost daily. While they are pretty good at moving traffic, they are about as far from pedestrian friendly as you can get. Which, I’m sorry, should be a top priority for University City. Make an alternate route to get to Harrisburg south of 49. Do not destroy the area’s ability to grow organically. Also, RCI’s have about as much pavement as a Walmart parking lot.

Also, I’m happy to see the lake getting proper development; I just wish they could’ve shown the multiphase master plan. Or at least I hope that isn’t it.

I hear what your saying. But we are talking about a state highway that is 6 lanes through this area. It also crosses 485 which is 8 lanes through there I believe.  How does the city make a high volume state highway safe. Anything that will further aggravate commute times on 49 should be avoided. 

I just don't feel that walkability is feasible for every mile of Charlotte roads. I'm an advocate for pedestrians don't misunderstand.  I've just lived in the area for most of the past 25yrs. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Yes that is the site right by the LYNX station.  this hotel will do great. 

Thanks...for some reason I was thinking the complex was  suppose to be"deeper" into the campus.  I agree I think it will do great!

• Like 3