University City Projects/News

Andyc545

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

The current location of University Hospital was the "poor farm". A home for indigent, which was a municipal obligation from millenia before. I remember seeing it as a large clapboard country home, a few outbuildings and it sat at a high point on the land which was at that time undeveloped. Open fields in all directions. WT harris drops away in each direction as does N Tryon. It had a fancy name, The Oaks, and maybe there were some. My singular memory is driving along there in nice weather and seeing a woman and a few other figures out in the landscape, each dressed simply. There is precious little information about indigent homes online, as one could expect. I found no photos with a five minute search. The county library next to the hospital at 301 E WT Harris has a potters field (burial place for paupers-biblical origin) beside it which is the only reminder today of that time and place.

Edit: My partner has more personal history to share about the location says it had farm animals, though not a true farm in her sense of the word. Gardens for food, chickens, a mule, a few superannuated large animals. Not intended to be a self sufficient facility. Most important is that it was for the indigent aged , no others. And for whites, as one could also predict.

There are those among us who have this living memory.

One of my relatives can't remember whom lived there for a while.  

• Like 1

IBM is finally selling some of their University Research Park land and some big developments could happen on it.  Ever since they sold their old IBM facility now Innovation Park I have wondered why they held on to this.   But I would expect the residential land to be snapped up. 

https://mpvre.com/properties/university-city-area-land/

https://mpvre.com/wp-content/uploads/properties/9597/flyer-9597-1.pdf?v=437   flyer 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

this is big real estate news in the University area.  Principle Financial is taking 106.000 at Proximity Park the old Allstate building on McCullough Drive that was recently renovated.  They  bought Wells Fargo retirement and trust business.   This building is within walking distance of the McCullough LYNX station.

Walking distance-ish, at least in Charlotte. Just measured out a half mile from the station to the building's doors. Not sure how far along the city has gotten with the McCullough complete street upgrade, either. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

2018-1007-marylnn-ext-west-1-980x436.jpg

Vue on University Center: 

• E Mallard Creek Church Road & University City Boulevard
  • 271 luxury student apartments
  • Five stories with wrapped parking deck
  • First of three phases to open in Fall 2021

http://fountainresidential.com/vue-on-university-center/

Ooof this is not a looker. I wonder why they don't think retail could work in the base of this building. 

33 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

These type of apartments don’t tend to have retail components, much like the other student apartments in the area. 

Well aware, but considering the desire of UC Partners and others, on this site and elsewhere, is to make UC more pedestrian friendly and dense, one should look to the developments around NCSU, UNCCh, App St, ECU, and UNCG for reference. They don't all have retail, but there is a critical mass for some here. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Hey  cool, my son lives there.  Newest student apartments in Boone.  On-campus housing is atrocious. 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2020 at 4:12 PM, tarhoosier said:

The current location of University Hospital was the "poor farm". A home for indigent, which was a municipal obligation from millenia before. I remember seeing it as a large clapboard country home, a few outbuildings and it sat at a high point on the land which was at that time undeveloped. Open fields in all directions. WT harris drops away in each direction as does N Tryon. It had a fancy name, The Oaks, and maybe there were some. My singular memory is driving along there in nice weather and seeing a woman and a few other figures out in the landscape, each dressed simply. There is precious little information about indigent homes online, as one could expect. I found no photos with a five minute search. The county library next to the hospital at 301 E WT Harris has a potters field (burial place for paupers-biblical origin) beside it which is the only reminder today of that time and place.

Edit: My partner has more personal history to share about the location says it had farm animals, though not a true farm in her sense of the word. Gardens for food, chickens, a mule, a few superannuated large animals. Not intended to be a self sufficient facility. Most important is that it was for the indigent aged , no others. And for whites, as one could also predict.

There are those among us who have this living memory.

There's a graveyard next to the baseball field at UNC Charlotte that has unmarked graves from this indigent hospital, too.

"Two cemetery plots bracket the front entrance to the stadium. The plots belonged to the former Mecklenburg County Indigents' Home; A hospital that cared for the poor, which was located near the current location of Carolinas Medical Center-University. The burials occurred in the 1930s and 1940s, before the University moved to the location in 1961. The graves are marked with plain rock markers and no record of the names of those buried there remain. The plots are closed off by wooden split-rail fencing.[3]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_and_Mariam_Hayes_Stadium#Features

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Similar student housing at The University of Akron, granted at a prominent intersection "downtown" but I'd walk to the Jimmy John's here during grad school

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0761431,-81.5223733,3a,75y,133.16h,93.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssPh66iSLkjx1gwOCwonaUw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

In smaller news, Bar Louie corporate filed for Chapter 11 and is closing 1/3 of its corporate outlets immediately. I could not find a listing of closures so not sure about the fate of the UC site.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-bar-louie-bankruptcy-closings-20200127-whpclmx3ajfmbgpz6cpd4jrpai-story.html

University Place would really benefit from densification around this corner, there is a vacant Wells next door.

Edited by kermit

Crescent's new office building under construction first new office construction in the University area is sometime.

https://www.escentresearchpark.com/   photo 1 

Photos 2 and 3  New home of United Rentals corporate staff but not the whole HQ (yet) adding 150 jobs here including emergency response center. Upfitting their space now. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/10/21/united-rentals-to-add-150-jobs-in-charlotte-with.html

photos from yesterday

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2270.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

• Like 4