University City Projects/News

Andyc545

On 1/31/2020 at 10:12 PM, KJHburg said:

2019-04-30_Waters-Edge-at-University-Pla

Looks like only the weird corner spaces will eventually be left after Phase 1 and 2? There's a lot of "park" space, or just green space, which doesn't make me feel super excited. This should be as urban as South End, and instead it looks like what is already overpopulating UC. 

Intrigued to see more. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rufus said:

Looks like only the weird corner spaces will eventually be left after Phase 1 and 2? There's a lot of "park" space, or just green space, which doesn't make me feel super excited. This should be as urban as South End, and instead it looks like what is already overpopulating UC. 

Intrigued to see more. 

The "fake lake" really isn't that big and it's much more of a chill and stroll area than hustle and bustle. The latter needs to be crammed along the desolate main streets to start. What's proposed here will probably fill the space out nicely as long as they don't leave all the parking lots in the future. 

I'm assuming you weren't referring to the parking lots when you said park space...

• Like 1

It's weird up there. There really is a lot of land available, but it's just....weird. I stated how much I love the look of those Verde apartments  (I hope they can replicate them in another part of town), but they face a Shomars and a plasma donation center. Some other new apartments down the street have a nice view of a Waffle House. Not necessarily suburban, but not necessarily desirable. It's not sexy up there, and that's something I don't see changing.

It would take decades, but I could definitely see that area being more developed than Southend if they start jamming stuff in and being smart with the space. Some of the new developments have way too much parking. If you factor in all the worthless buildings that no one would miss (Famous Mart) there's nothing but room for growth. I'm interested in seeing what happens. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Yeah - not sure why City of Charlotte had to contribute $$ towards this project.  Anyone know why or what the benefits are?

It's an option for the University to use when selling itself to researchers and major funders. They can stay on the campus and be close to the action. So, in a way, it's hopeful to drive research funding to the university. 

• Like 3

So it’s a win-win situation for UNCC and CLT.  Cool deal.  So there’s no other Ballroom/Meeting Room/Conference type space like this available elsewhere in the city?

Im going to look up whether or not other major UNC schools (Like NC State & UNC) have a comparable facility to this one being built at UNCC.

2 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

So it’s a win-win situation for UNCC and CLT.  Cool deal.  So there’s no other Ballroom/Meeting Room/Conference type space like this available elsewhere in the city?

Im going to look up whether or not other major UNC schools (Like NC State & UNC) have a comparable facility to this one being built at UNCC.

Dang - Answered my own question.

So - NC State has the McKimmon Center.   UNC has the Friday Center.  Gonna see how this UNCC Marriott compares to both.