University City Projects/News

Andyc545

30 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

So it’s a win-win situation for UNCC and CLT.  Cool deal.  So there’s no other Ballroom/Meeting Room/Conference type space like this available elsewhere in the city?

Im going to look up whether or not other major UNC schools (Like NC State & UNC) have a comparable facility to this one being built at UNCC.

Dang - Answered my own question.

So - NC State has the McKimmon Center.   UNC has the Friday Center.  Gonna see how this UNCC Marriott compares to both.

I hope it's a lot better than Friday. I don't know the size planned for this Marriott, but I assume it will be smaller than McKimmon, which is humongous. 

2 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I hope it's a lot better than Friday. I don't know the size planned for this Marriott, but I assume it will be smaller than McKimmon, which is humongous. 

Yes it will be (Nicer than Friday or at least closer to Campus) and yes you are correct about McKimmon (huge).

Friday Center = 39,000 sf Meeting area and 27 meeting room.

McKimmon Center = 132,000 sf & Multiple meeting rooms.

UNCC Marriott & Conference Center = 24,000 sf Meeting area, unknown meeting rooms, 226 Hotel Rooms

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

So it’s a win-win situation for UNCC and CLT.  Cool deal.  So there’s no other Ballroom/Meeting Room/Conference type space like this available elsewhere in the city?

Im going to look up whether or not other major UNC schools (Like NC State & UNC) have a comparable facility to this one being built at UNCC.

Dang - Answered my own question.

So - NC State has the McKimmon Center.   UNC has the Friday Center.  Gonna see how this UNCC Marriott compares to both.

These sorts of conference center-hotels are pretty common in most large universities. They generally make economic sense for the university because they allow the University to more easily provide continuing ed programming to people outside the immediate area. These sorts of programs (certification courses, conferences, etc.) are an effective way for universities to interact with their broader communities and help them to achieve the holy-grail of universities -- national recognition. Unfortunately education, by itself, is rarely profitable, so hotel rooms are needed to  make continuing ed a profit center. 

Having said that, I am frequently involved in academic meetings and this site is a good fit (size wise) for the regional meeting I attend every year. However,  I'll be involved in planning a Charlotte meeting in the next few years and I will not recommend this site for the meeting. The lack of walkability in the area and the shockingly poor restaurant selection nearby means that we would be better off at the downtown Marriott, Hilton or Weston (or a Southend hotel if it had sufficient meeting space) even if it cost marginally more. (admittedly, other organizations are less sensitive to what is happening outside the hotel)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, kermit said:

They are pretty common in most large universities. Their big advantage is they allow the University to more easily provide continuing ed to people outside the immediate area. These sorts of programs (certification courses, conferences, etc.) are an effective way for universities to interact with their broader communities. Unfortunately education, by itself, is rarely profitable, hotel rooms often make the difference in the sustainability of these activities. 

Having said that, I am frequently involved in academic meetings and this site is a good fit (size wise) for the regional meeting I attend every year. I'll be involved in planning a Charlotte meeting in the next few years and I will not recommend this site for the meeting. The lack of walkability in the area and the shockingly poor restaurant selection nearby means that we would be better off at the downtown Marriott, Hilton or Weston (or a Southend hotel if it had sufficient meeting space) even if it cost more.

Dang that’s a tough assessment (not recommending this site).  Do you think in a few years that the Major Shopping Center Redevelopment (Currently planned) of the Commercial area across the street would help?

There is a lot more to walk to from this new campus hotel than there is at Stateview the Marriott hotel on the NC State campus yet that hotel is quite successful from what I hear.  Some conferences will want to be uptown but the access could not be easier with the LYNX station out the back door.  Any conference could meet there if that size works and have a "dinner meeting" uptown as well.  The demand for the McKimmon center in Raleigh is huge and I have known people go there for certifications or day classes from all kinds of professions (I have gone up there 4x myself) 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Dang that’s a tough assessment (not recommending this site).  Do you think in a few years that the Major Shopping Center Redevelopment (Currently planned) of the Commercial area across the street would help?

The problem isn't the number of places, its the type of places in UC. There just isn't any sit-down, nice-ish (e.g. take a client) place where you can eat a relaxed dinner (Firewater serves dog food in a dog-house (I really hate that place) and Thai House is too far away). Redevelopment will help with lunch sorts of places, but the demographics of UC are not well suited to nice restaurants.  The rail right outside the hotel is nice, but its basically useless if you are trying to take more than two or three other people to dinner -- herding cats on 15-20 minute headway trains. 

I am not saying the UNCC Marriott won't work, I think it will be great for short, continuing ed things, just as McKimmon works well for that. But for professional meetings where networking is a big deal, its going to get ignored unless there are important campus linkages (which is rare).

[I have been to two different annual-ish professional events held at the McKimmon center over the past 15 years. In both cases they decided to have the following year's event in Downtown Raleigh]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

It's probably better to not compare it to the Friday or McKimmon Centers, it's towards the larger end of Peer Facilities

From the press release for the project:

He noted a full-service hotel and conference center is a common feature at major research universities. Examples include the Nittany Lion Inn at Penn State, the Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center in Atlanta and the new StateView hotel on N.C. State’s millennial campus.

My quick Comparison on Meeting Spaces of 'On Campus' facilities:

Friday Center:  39,000 sq ft
McKimmon Center: 37,000 sq ft
UNC Charlotte HCC: 24,000 sq ft
Auburn University HCC: 22,000 sq ft
GA Tech Hotel:  21,000 sq ft
Nittany Lion Inn: 20,000 sq ft
Carolina Inn: 14,000 sq ft
StateView Hotel: 8,000 sq ft

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, kermit said:

The problem isn't the number of places, its the type of places in UC. There just isn't any sit-down, nice-ish (e.g. take a client) place where you can eat a relaxed dinner (Firewater serves dog food in a dog-house (I really hate that place) and Thai House is too far away). Redevelopment will help with lunch sorts of places, but the demographics of UC are not well suited to nice restaurants.  The rail right outside the hotel is nice, but its basically useless if you are trying to take more than two or three other people to dinner -- herding cats on 15-20 minute headway trains. 

This is not to say the UNCC Marriott won't work, I think it will be great for short, continuing ed things, just as McKimmon works well for that. But for professional meetings where networking is a big deal its going to get ignored.

Agreed on types of places in UC. Keep in mind those people from the hotel attracts will start  to create demand. When the Ballantyne Resort opened in what was then BFE, they bankrolled a restaurant across the street (the name escapes me now but it's last incarnation was Vine) solely to give meeting attendees another option than the hotel restaurant and that started to build demand. Also current environment aside, the rents in and around Uptown will start to push up and coming restauranteurs out towards places like  UC.

• Like 3

The problem is/was that the city gave the UC the shaft for too long and it’s lagged behind now. There is absolutely no reason for the lack of development. You have ton of companies  located in the UC. It’s the second highest employment hub outside of Uptown if I’m not mistaken with the likes of Wells Fargo (CIC), IBM, Tiaa, Electrolux, I mean the list goes on and on. The money is there.  It can and should be able to support nicer And more diverse restaurants. 30k enrollment  college campus in your backyard too. Boardwalk revitalization plan can’t come to fruition soon enough. The entertainment district (top golf 2) area will be nice as well. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Oh wow. I didn't realize that it was so close to the station.

out the back door across the street at the station.  That is why this hotel will do great as an overflow hotel for big conventions and events even uptown. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Does anyone know about the Lease Up pace for new apartments in the University City area?  Just curious if things are leasing up well since there’s tremendous amount of apartment construction in Op/Villa Hts and SouthEnd.  Anyone think apartments are being overbuilt?

I would say UC lacks apartments, at least from my knowledge as someone who used to live there. The university is approaching 30k and URP is massive in scale, and Concord Mills and the Speedway are not far. I truly expect it to be a boon for apartments. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rufus said:

I would say UC lacks apartments, at least from my knowledge as someone who used to live there. The university is approaching 30k and URP is massive in scale, and Concord Mills and the Speedway are not far. I truly expect it to be a boon for apartments. 

I would tend to agree with you but I was curious because it seems that all the UC Apartments currently built along the BlueLine don’t seem to be that much more affordable than what’s in Optimist Park right now.  NoDa & Southend Apartments Are a bit more expensive.  I guess the pricing even for University City is remaining high due to construction cost - thought being further from city center would render them more affordable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheOneRJ said:

Does the Boardwalk redevelopment have a start date? Looks like Michael's is moving out and across the street.

that is good sign as demo work must be done first so Crescent can start their Novel apartments along the lake which is a far better use backing up to the lake than the backs of big box stores.   With the mega job announcement today look for a lot more residential development in the UC area.   

• Like 1

Am I the only one who doesn't see *that* much of an improvement? It really just seems like some existing buildings and parking lots will be torn down....and replaced by new buildings and parking lots.  Don't get me wrong, the residential is good to see, but it just looks to me like a suburban campus of some sort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nicholas said:

Am I the only one who doesn't see *that* much of an improvement? It really just seems like some existing buildings and parking lots will be torn down....and replaced by new buildings and parking lots.  Don't get me wrong, the residential is good to see, but it just looks to me like a suburban campus of some sort.

The main benefit is that the new development will utilize the waterfront to it’s full potential rather than have the back of a shopping center fronting it. I’m not sure what phase 2 includes, but I’m assuming it will be some sort of town center style development where the existing parking lots currently are along with some parking decks. 

• Like 1