University City Projects/News

Andyc545

31 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

What a fantastic redevelopment project. When does that big box shopping center layout date from? Feels very 1990's

Carley Capital built in in late 1980s if I remember.  Residential up against the lake is better than the back of a big boxes.  Plus they plan a class A office building too.  

Charlotte NC: Waters Edge at University Place - Retail Space For Lease - EB Arrow (propertycapsule.com)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Planned mixed use district near new University area Top Golf going through a rezoning.

""Charlotte developer Cambridge Properties filed a rezoning petition this week for its roughly 40-acre site at University City and Ikea boulevards, near Belgate Shopping Center. The petition calls for a 150,000-square-foot office building or 150-room hotel, 350 apartments, structured parking, 20,000 square feet of car dealership-related business, and an additional 8,000 square feet of commercial space.  The first phase of the project includes a Topgolf facility — Charlotte's second — at 7199 MacFarland Blvd. Topgolf, which will serve as anchor for the project, is expected to open this summer, said Jay Priester, executive vice president at Cambridge.  To accommodate a portion of the site being rezoned to allow apartments, an onsite dealership will be consolidating a surface parking lot where it keeps vehicle inventory into a structured parking facility. That opens up the site for denser development, Priester said. The site is within a half-mile from the University City Station.""

here is general area information

University City Entertainment District | Cambridge Properties

Biz Journal article:  University City entertainment district anchored by Topgolf moving into next development phase - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nicholas said:

What would the feasibility be of removing the I-85 Connector?  It's so close to the University City Blvd interchange, and I think the effectiveness of any sort of grid street network in that area will be severely hampered as long as the connector is there.

after the state rebuilt it when I=85 was widening and built that bridge carrying traffic southbound to I-85 I would say it will not happen.  It is only a half interchange now only a northbound 85 exit and southbound entrance ramp. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 6:13 PM, theronhobbs said:

On another note, I'd bet that most University City residents don't remember the previous highway-level interchanges at (1) US-29 and the I-85 connector and (2) US-29 and NC-49 before they were "downgraded" to signaled intersections. Here's a quick aerial history:

042221_1.jpg.dc2ead66c6c8d0a93e7ca8d5a33387dd.jpg

It was the WORST. I was a UNCC student at the time. ^This image is just he regular street. It was designed like two highways converging.

People say the I-277 N Davidson St intersection is bad, but imagine blowing that scale up x10 and making all traffic already going strip-highway speeds. I gripped the wheel so hard every time I had to take that connector,.

And for those unfamiliar, it was in-effect a 1/4-mile highway strip INSTEAD of a regular N Tryon St kind of design. It made zero sense. If you wanted to go between NoDa and University City on N Tryon St you were forced onto this highway-level interval plopped in the middle.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...