University City Projects/News

Andyc545

Griffith Lakes a development across Harris Blvd from Davis Lake was talked about in the 1990s I know as a developer I worked for was interested but it never happened.  Now this from the Biz Journal.  To see where it is look for a huge vacant tract of lake south side of Harris Blvd from Davis Lake Shopping Center. 

""Toll Brothers is also underway on developing homes and townhomes at Griffith Lakes, a large, mixed-use project in north Charlotte. The E.C. Griffith Co. owns around 400 acres for that project and Pou said Toll Brothers will develop 740 lots on around 300 of those acres. The project is Toll Brothers' first foray into north Charlotte, Pou said.""

Toll Brothers to continue growth strategy here - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Much to my surprise there appears to be a clothing store (?) setting up inside one of the retail spots in the UC station parking deck. It was in the storefront on the corner of UC Station blvd and N Tryon.

To be clear I saw a bunch of disorganized stuff (including several clothing racks and a bunch of boxes) inside the space as I passed on the train. There is no signage so I am really just guessing. I was just stunned to see activity there.

Related: anyone have a sense of how the Sabor at JW Clay is doing? Always seems quiet when I pass by. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes please! It’s a sad old building in which the current library sits in.

https://qcitymetro.com/2021/01/05/university-city-library-needs-a-new-home-but-where/

69759262a4108570cb563bc756b32c42.jpg

https://universitycitypartners.org/2020/12/04/help-us-secure-the-right-home-for-university-citys-library/

“Time is running out to secure an amazing home for our future library.

- The developer has delayed the launch of his Waters Edge project since last spring to find a winning solution for all and has said he must break ground soon, with or without a library building.

- The owner of the property where our current library sits, Atrium Health, has said it has plans for that property but will delay their plans to provide a lease extension – if the county and library board have a firm plan and timetable for moving the library to a new home.

- The library board is expected to present a plan for our branch to the County Board in the next 1-2 weeks. The county, in turn, will likely decide in January how to proceed.”

Well…if someone doesn’t choose soon the library will either end up nowhere or more likely on county owned land far from “University Town Center” and far from mass transit (“the single largest public investments ever made in North Carolina – the LYNX light-rail line.”) as per University City Partner.

• Like 3

The university branch library needs to move to University Place somewhere.  I noticed lots of vacant space in that 2 story building with the lake frontage where Zapatas is but it is at lake level.  But I like a whole new building but regardless it does need to move to UP the downtown of the university area. 

• Like 4

Honestly they need to improve the pedestrian accessibility to that shopping center. It’s hard to walk there. Not very pedestrian friendly as it should be IMO. This helps.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No one adds this much space and not add jobs.  News from TTI Floor Care

""An existing tenant at the Innovation Park office property in University Research Park has signed a lease to significantly expand its office footprint there. TTI Floor Care North America will add about 68,000 square feet of space to its existing presence at the 12-building office campus in University City. The new lease will run the company's footprint to nearly 144,000 square feet at Innovation Park, where it has been located since 2016. TTI Floor Care will occupy its new space in June.  Innovation Park was initially built in the 1980s as IBM's headquarters. The campus includes 1.84 million square feet of office space across its dozen buildings and was purchased by Accesso and Partners Group for $270 million in 2019.   TTI Floor Care's offices at Innovation Park serve as the company's marketing and innovation center. TTI Floor Care is the largest floor-care business in North America and includes brands such as Dirt Devil, Hoover and Oreck. Its parent company is Techtronic Industries Co. Ltd., which has locations globally. ""

TTI Floor Care expanding office presence at Innovation Park in University Research Park - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

https://www.ttifloorcare.com/overview

Charlotte the vacuum capital of USA!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

The Trevi Village project is well underway at North Tryon Street close to the Charlotte Motor Speedway.  The senior living complex is definitely taking shape.

https://newsouthprop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/NEW-SOUTH-PROPERTIES-TREVI-VILLAGE.pdf

Also a developer is planning apartments on the site with a recent February purchase of property.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/developer-buys-land-apartments-near-charlotte-motor-speedway/WEWHSFPAENDF3PHJ23F5VXMQBI/

Edited by rancenc