University City Projects/News

Andyc545

• 2 weeks later...

This is very interesting.  A suburban office park that is in decent shape maybe be bulldozed for apartments and some of the existing buildings could be converted to apartments.  This is something to follow.

""According to the site plan, High Associates plans to convert the existing buildings into multifamily units and add two more structures to accommodate both residential and commercial uses. The plan calls for up to 350 multifamily units and 14,000 square feet of retail space.

The three existing buildings at Prosperity Place total 215,000 square feet. Tenants include Essentia, ADR Financial Group, Infinium Health Services and Collaborative Pathways Wellness Center.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/11/01/high-associates-rezoning-prosperity-place-cre.html

Woodlawn Green an office park built in the 1970s was bulldozed for apartments off Woodlawn.  More of this could happen in the future but this office complex I somewhat surprised about. 

Also in the university area 2 single story office buildings in the University Executive park where bulldozed for a new apartment building at McCullough and another office building there will meet the same fate.  

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was just in this area a few weeks ago when I visited armoured cow. These apartments are a breath of fresh air for the area and has positively changed the vibe of the area. Really hope they can create more retail spots along the walking loop, esp photo 6. That Hilton could def use a renovation too. More shops and eateries and this place could become a nice little destination in the university. What’s the next phase of the project after the apartments? Are they building an office or a library iirc where the old sushi 101 and pho place used to be. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I was just in this area a few weeks ago when I visited armoured cow. These apartments are a breath of fresh air for the area and has positively changed the vibe of the area. Really hope they can create more retail spots along the walking loop, esp photo 6. That Hilton could def use a renovation too. More shops and eateries and this place could become a nice little destination in the university. What’s the next phase of the project after the apartments? Are they building an office or a library iirc where the old sushi 101 and pho place used to be. 

Yes the plan was to do an office building and the library between these new apartments and Hilton.  Agree with you on the Hilton but their occupancy is fairly high I hear.  

https://www.eba-us.com/properties/waters-edge-at-university-place/

• Like 2

For sure. I didn’t meant to say get rid of the Hilton but it needs updating. It is the busiest/largest hotel in the university area. Before the on campus Marriott was built, visiting teams playing the Niners utilize the hotel year round.  Really wish they could redo some of the aging shopping centers specifically the one across from the football stadium where the food lion is and the one where flying saucer is. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

For sure. I didn’t meant to say get rid of the Hilton but it needs updating. It is the busiest/largest hotel in the university area. Before the on campus Marriott was built, visiting teams playing the Niners utilize the hotel year round.  Really wish they could redo some of the aging shopping centers specifically the one across from the football stadium where the food lion is and the one where flying saucer is. 

I knew what you meant about the Hilton needs renovation. The Food Lion shopping center owned by Cambridge is going through a rezoning to add apartments where the vacant Kohls is located.  Apartments really have boomed in this corridor since the LYNX opened a few years ago especially right along N Tryon corridor. 

• Like 4

Currently under construction off of Highway 29 close to the Charlotte Motor Speedway.  It is a actually a multi building complex which I am not sure if all of the building construction is specifically geared towards the retirement community or not.

https://treviseniorliving.com/?fbclid=IwAR3z9e-eTdTOsyFHl9nlYzyjjAut1_vwKKU09Uvg0L_BoflYAWAhrFR6EDg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rancenc said:

Currently under construction off of Highway 29 close to the Charlotte Motor Speedway.  It is a actually a multi building complex which I am not sure if all of the building construction is specifically geared towards the retirement community or not.

https://treviseniorliving.com/?fbclid=IwAR3z9e-eTdTOsyFHl9nlYzyjjAut1_vwKKU09Uvg0L_BoflYAWAhrFR6EDg

this project has taken years to get off the ground but this senior community is a great start.  I too have seen the construction maybe I will take some shots next time I am in the area.  They are supposed to have medical offices, retail and some regular apartments too.  Here is the site plan

https://newsouthprop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/NEW-SOUTH-PROPERTIES-TREVI-VILLAGE.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, DavieNative said:

https://charlotte.axios.com/324921/unc-charlotte-student-street-downtown-mainstreet-university-uncc/

Ask and you shall receive, looks like they want to turn it into Mainstreet UNC Charlotte which could be a real game changer for the University.

Weird article, but I'm sure the apartments will do well there.  Hopefully they can build out this vision.