University City Projects/News

Andyc545

You heard it here first. New Chick-fil-A location coming to the vacant Hardee's outparcel at Town Center Plaza on University City Blvd at Harris Blvd. This will be a relief for customers at the nearby Chick-fil-A at Harris Blvd & University Executive Park Drive.

Clip_2_033023.thumb.jpg.665f4919de7f8f611d0143128f3d7b24.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

I thought warehouses were planned for that huge site?

I think you are thinking of the huge Childress Klein warehouse project to the northeast of the interchange closer to Concord Mills.  There is a big warehouse park planned there along with apartments closer to the mall and the county line. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think you are thinking of the huge Childress Klein warehouse project to the northeast of the interchange closer to Concord Mills.  There is a big warehouse park planned there along with apartments closer to the mall and the county line. 

No, I’m aware of that project. I remember seeing a site plan posted in this thread that showed 2 or 3 warehouses south of the 85/485 interchange. 

Edit: It was posted back in June 2021 by a UP member. I just clicked the link but it shows error 404. I guess the original plans were scrapped?

IMG_4741.jpeg

Edited by NCMike1990

1 hour ago, NCMike1990 said:

Third Strike posted a link to a rezoning petition that included a site plan of 2 or 3 warehouses. That’s what I thought was going here but I guess it obviously never materialized. It’s a few pages back in this thread. 

Yeah, that plan got pulled late last year I believe. This new development is the current rezoning for these parcels. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New grocery store is proposed for 9601 North Tryon. This is the shopping center that’s close to the JW Clay Lynx Station and Food Lion. Not sure who the tenant might be:

https://aca-prod.accela.com/CHARLOTTE/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=23LDC&capID2=00000&capID3=00110&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Third Strike said:

New grocery store is proposed for 9601 North Tryon. This is the shopping center that’s close to the JW Clay Lynx Station and Food Lion. Not sure who the tenant might be:

https://aca-prod.accela.com/CHARLOTTE/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=23LDC&capID2=00000&capID3=00110&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE

hmmm that must be a specialty grocery store that site is small for most larger grocery chains.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Apartment boom in University City beginning to slow down any?  Just curious bc I don’t get out there much.

not that I have seen multiple apartment complexes going up  along N Tryon, Mallard Creek Church Rd, going up 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 6:09 PM, KJHburg said:

hmmm that must be a specialty grocery store that site is small for most larger grocery chains.  

Looking like an Aldi is going to be built at this shopping center. Address is different on this permit, but at the same shopping center but on the opposite end. 

https://aca-prod.accela.com/CHARLOTTE/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=23LBX&capID2=00000&capID3=00302&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE&IsToShowInspection=

• Like 2

that area has no grocery stores except for the Food Lion and now this new Aldi.  Sounds like they are razing half of the shopping center and building this Aldi.  There is a LIdl about 1.5 mile away so this will increase options and competition in this immediate area. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, rancenc said:

I actually agree with LaWana Slack-Mayfield on her thoughts about environmental concerns.  Why couldn't something like this be built in a depressed area where there are already empty big boxes....like Freedom Dr. ?