University City Projects/News

Andyc545

I thought those panels had long been installed. IKEA announced a while back that it was installing panels on most of their stores.

A lot of major retailers are starting to install solar panels on their roofs. IKEA was the one that really got it started, but Kohl's, Walmart, and Walgreen's have all committed to fitting a large number of their stores with panels. Walmart already had hundreds of stores with panels installed. 

Solar is a great investment for retailers. Large scale installations are actually very economically viable and even at grid parity in some locations (without incentives). The panels not only save retailers money by reducing their energy bills, but they also extend the life of the roof because they protect the roof from the sun and other elements.

I hope to see other retailers in NC follow suit quickly before the republicans set their sights on the NC tax credit.

At 4,000 panels, this installation will be approximately a megawatt in size.

That whole complex which includes Nona's and Papa John's is being torn down for the new Park and Ride parking deck that will be built for the BLE stop there.

Papa John's already relocated to the new set of buildings in the Food Lion/Kohl's complex, and Nona's is moving to the Worthington Complex off of Mallard Creek Church.  No idea where Panda is going though.

I just noticed Panda Express is gone

The Panda Express in Mooresville closed for good and Chipotle replaced them. A huge improvement in my opinion. I wish the same would happen in Huntersville. I know there's already a Chipotle in UC, so I'm sure that's not the case there. Where was the Panda Express in UC? I'm not as familiar with the area as I was when I was in school @ UNCC.

The Panda Express in Mooresville closed for good and Chipotle replaced them. A huge improvement in my opinion. I wish the same would happen in Huntersville. I know there's already a Chipotle in UC, so I'm sure that's not the case there. Where was the Panda Express in UC? I'm not as familiar with the area as I was when I was in school @ UNCC.

It was located next to Nona's.  At JW Clay and Tryon.  I still really hope the parking deck will include retail at the base or this project will ruin any chance for North Tryon to turn around.  This corner, being across from the new entrance to Charlotte Research Institute will be prime real-estate once the LRT opens and CRI is built out.  I pray city planners know what they're doing on this one.

It was located next to Nona's.  At JW Clay and Tryon.  I still really hope the parking deck will include retail at the base or this project will ruin any chance for North Tryon to turn around.  This corner, being across from the new entrance to Charlotte Research Institute will be prime real-estate once the LRT opens and CRI is built out.  I pray city planners know what they're doing on this one.

I hope the same, but they've tried to reign in costs on this project as much as possible, so it wouldn't shock me at all if there is no retail component.

• 1 month later...

A rezoning proposal is out for part of the Belgate development. This is the southern section of the development, which is separated from IKEA by University City Boulevard. Originally proposed as multifamily residential and small retail, this rezoning request proposes building an auto mall consisting of up to five dealerships (site plan).

I know it's hardly comforting, but technically this land falls outside the "Station Area Plan" for that station and isn't indicated to receive TOD-style zoning. 

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Land%20Use%20Planning/UnivCity/Univ_City_Area_Plan.pdf

(note that what is now University CIty Blvd Station is still referred to as Rocky River Station in that plan)

Hi all.  New member but I've been watching from the sidelines for a while.  I decided it was time to jump in.

I was really disappointed to hear this.  i was just over at IKEA yesterday and was excited about the development around there and the possible new restaurants or stores that would be on the south side of the street.  Needless to say, I do not think we need more car dealerships, at least right there!

I noticed that there is another strip mall going up next to the Ikea. I'm assuming this is where all the UCity big box stores will be relocating too (as referenced on the previous page). I can't even imagine how awful those old box centers will look after they lose their tenants.

These stores have gone up fast. According to PetSmart's website, the grand opening for their new location is on Saturday, May 4.

Unfortunately, their relocation means another empty storefront in the Target shopping center, where the space vacated by World Market more than two years ago is still empty. Target and OfficeMax will be the only two major tenants left (a Payless ShoeSource is also there), but it's tough to say if OfficeMax will be there much longer. They're currently in the process of merging with Office Depot, and there's an Office Depot less than two miles away in University Place.

In other news, Wal-Mart's real estate site lists their University Place property as "sale pending." That said, they've supposedly had nearly a dozen offers since relocating four years ago, yet the store is still empty, so I won't get my hopes up too much.

These stores have gone up fast. According to PetSmart's website, the grand opening for their new location is on Saturday, May 4.

Unfortunately, their relocation means another empty storefront in the Target shopping center, where the space vacated by World Market more than two years ago is still empty. Target and OfficeMax will be the only two major tenants left (a Payless ShoeSource is also there), but it's tough to say if OfficeMax will be there much longer. They're currently in the process of merging with Office Depot, and there's an Office Depot less than two miles away in University Place.

In other news, Wal-Mart's real estate site lists their University Place property as "sale pending." That said, they've supposedly had nearly a dozen offers since relocating four years ago, yet the store is still empty, so I won't get my hopes up too much.

Still encouraging about the Walmart at least.

Wonder what kind of company could realistically fill that spot?

It's a weird spot with only the Sam's Club (which does great business) and the guitar/music super center and the sporting goods super store.   The music, and the sporting store never seem to have much traffic though.

I would love to see that whole complex be redeveloped as offices to be honest.

Going through University House's other communities and they are mostly fairly urban in design (albeit urban as in typical SouthEnd apartments).   The article you posted, makes it seem it will be one 5 story building with parking.  That along with Crescent, will help bring a little density to the area.

http://www.universityhouse.com/you-should-live-here.asp

• 1 month later...

^^How sad.

Will University City Partners go along with huge car dealerships right next to their new light rail station?

Mary Newsome has picked up on this and has tweeted on some overnight changes to the Station Area Principles document.

https://mobile.twitter.com/marynewsom/tweets

(she did not mention the carwash, but I think it falls into the same category of prohibited use)

Edited by kermit

University City is such a prime example of the tension between the people wanting a good direction and people wanting a bad direction.  There is such an odd blend of good and bad things there.

The city has put a serious amount of infrastructure in the area, which of course has meant that all of the thoroughfares have massive intersections and some freeway-style interchanges, but they have been slowly trying to go back and add the more authentic urban development. 

This becomes a mockery when the people running the group that is supposed to guide it to the better direction are really just representatives of the suburban development community.   Crescent had planned residential on the south side of U-City Blvd at IKEA Blvd, which would be the mixture of uses that made the whole Belgrade (or whatever they called it) development marginally redeemable compared to the Furniture Row, Walmart, and IKEA going in.  

Now this is going the polar opposite direction with an automall, and that is with a billion dollar rail line being built to support the opposite! 

The area really is my least favorite side of Charlotte. I always wish UNCC was on another side of town. My assessment is whatever with that development. The area needs to be completely scrapped to ever be urban. The roads are just country roads that meander around with sprawl built along them. That area is the dictionary definition of sprawl. It will be hard if impossible to ever change that. Projects like the proposed dealership and Ikea continue to make sure that area is a mess.

• Like 1