University City Projects/News

Andyc545

Would the hard lesson you refer to be to not be drunk public?

That's a pretty valuable lesson.  But we are all out of our minds if we don't think kids WILL be drunk on this thing on a regular basis.  It's going to be a fact.  Hopefully they do their diligence in making it safe.

That's a pretty valuable lesson.  But we are all out of our minds if we don't think kids WILL be drunk on this thing on a regular basis.  It's going to be a fact.  Hopefully they do their diligence in making it safe.

Even with drunkenness completely out of the equation, its not a particularly safe or inviting road to cross. I think its ridiculous to have a median lightrail stop with a skywalk only to the side that DOESN'T have a large university on it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this website was ever posted, but this is the apartment project proposed at the intersection of Tryon and University City Blvd.

http://arcadiastudentliving.com/

Interesting looking design to say the least.

Looks like it belongs in a ski village, but hey, I'll almost take anything that breaks with the expected! Kind of cool actually. 

I'm surprised they're doing it as student housing since it is about a mile from campus. Also thought it was a little funny that they're hyping it as close to the "soon-to-come Lynx Light Rail Line."  The only people on campus today that will see the completion of the light rail line are freshmen and that is only if there are no delays to the line.

I actually don't mind this project nearly as much after seeing the renderings. It is a unique design, and based on the renderings and the description, it seems fairly upscale, even though I can't imagine the expected clientele would require finishes such as granite countertops. That said, it looks much better than the standard, stick-built, 5 story, white vinyl-sided apartment complex I was expecting

I actually hate it. If it was doing by a custom home company... Maybe. But since it will end up being low quality materials I think it will look contrived and will stick out like a sore thumb.

Agreed. I feel like this has disaster written all over it, and given the high profile location, it's especially disappointing. I know this site has access issues as it would relate to retail, but I felt like given the proximity to the rail, the huge amounts of traffic that go by the site, and the overall size of the site, there was a lot of potential here for mixed use, even if it were horizontally integrated and not vertical. 

• Like 1

I have a worry that all the great sites are going to be developed with this suburban crap before the line is even finished.

I have that worry as well. But is the suburban crap scenario worse than what happened on the south line from New Bern to 485?

At least the suburban crap will generate ridership which will support the more urban stations from Sugar Creek to New Bern.

I think the best spots will become crap, but I'm not completely despondent.   The area will be set back considerably worse than if those areas were not developed before light rail - no argument - but I also think eventually (sooner than natural life cycle normally) there will be pressure to sell and develop those parcels for more dense development.

In case anyone misinterprets my statement - this is gonna take a long, long time - but I think in the end, light rail will win in changing the landscape in U-City.

I think the best spots will become crap, but I'm not completely despondent.   The area will be set back considerably worse than if those areas were not developed before light rail - no argument - but I also think eventually (sooner than natural life cycle normally) there will be pressure to sell and develop those parcels for more dense development.

In case anyone misinterprets my statement - this is gonna take a long, long time - but I think in the end, light rail will win in changing the landscape in U-City.

I agree. U-City will take longer than the south side to organically grow from where it is to more urban high density along the LTR. It might even take a couple cycles of build and re-build. Thats why the car lots don't bother me, they are pretty cheap (comparatively) investment and are more likely converted to denser use in the long run.

The planning staff have already withdrawn their support for this rezoning, based largely on the lack of detail. They're willing to accept the use, but want to see a framework for future urbanization put in place. 

The rezoning meeting is next Tuesday evening. The people you need to contact all sit on the city council.

^yeah - I got a sinking feeling that it's basically a done deal with some cosmetic changes...

Is it really that bad if it gets Parks Chevy or Young Ford to move? Redevelopment of their parcels is just as, if not more, vital than the city blvd site.

Edited by DEnd