Downtown | Animal Arts Project

Florida

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea FL. I've seen it done in several cities before and I always enjoy it.

I'm fine w/the dolphins as a carry-over from the Capitol, but I believe Panama City has already done this idea w/dolphins...maybe porpoises, but can you really tell the difference w/statues?

GG, I understand your wanting something else, but a deer? My fear w/deer would be that young mavericks would use them in the late night hours for target practice. I know that urge b/c back when I was a youngster by grandparents had one of those tacky life-size fake ceramic deer in their yard. I got one of the biggest spankings of my life for shooting its ears off w/my BB gun. :) For a few years afterwards, that poor thing sat in their yard earless and miserable looking.

Does the idea need to be all the same exact thing/animal? I was just thinking if the dolphins are already here but folks think that's not Tally, why not just do all the animals that are important to Florida. A sea turtle, a manatee, a panther, the skunk-ape etc. I'm sure though it cost less to pump out the same animal.

Good idea about having the Master Crasftsman do them. From what I've heard, they are doing the award trophies for the Tally Film Festival in May.

FL who are you planning to formally present this idea to?

^ I'd thought about the Panther, but have never heard anyone talk about them here, nor have I seen one. I've seen a few in Central Florida, and know they are down there. I'd be all for it, the Florida Panther.

I agree on the deer, bad idea haha. I just dont like to disagree with a certain proposal without giving some of my own. Its a credibility killer!

Great idea FL. I've seen it done in several cities before and I always enjoy it.

I'm fine w/the dolphins as a carry-over from the Capitol, but I believe Panama City has already done this idea w/dolphins...maybe porpoises, but can you really tell the difference w/statues?

GG, I understand your wanting something else, but a deer? My fear w/deer would be that young mavericks would use them in the late night hours for target practice. I know that urge b/c back when I was a youngster by grandparents had one of those tacky life-size fake ceramic deer in their yard. I got one of the biggest spankings of my life for shooting its ears off w/my BB gun. :) For a few years afterwards, that poor thing sat in their yard earless and miserable looking.

Does the idea need to be all the same exact thing/animal? I was just thinking if the dolphins are already here but folks think that's not Tally, why not just do all the animals that are important to Florida. A sea turtle, a manatee, a panther, the skunk-ape etc. I'm sure though it cost less to pump out the same animal.

Good idea about having the Master Crasftsman do them. From what I've heard, they are doing the award trophies for the Tally Film Festival in May.

FL who are you planning to formally present this idea to?

That being said, I do think that manatees fit many of the criteria you're looking for and feel more Tallahassee-area to me than dolphins. I mean, any little fleabag Gulf motel has a couple of concrete dolphins out front - they're beautiful animals, but there's the chance of it looking very cheesy/touristy-in-a-bad-way.

I really like what you're trying to do. But I really think as much as we say in other threads how we want to be Tallahassee and not "the rest of Florida," Dolphins wouldnt be a good fit. I'm not sure what the replacement would be, maybe a spear representing FSU? I dont know. I think that this would catch on with a lot more people with something other than a dolphin. No offense, because I like the overall idea, but I think the dolphin is very "cheesy" because it screams central/south florida beachy area.

And for the record, I dont think a manatee would cost any more to produce than a dolphin. They're not really "detail oriented." :)

Also, and I hate to be a buzz kill on this. But Im not sure now would be the right time to bring a proposal to the city with a fiscal impact. With at least a 2 million dollar shortfall (Ive read all 800 pages of the budget), a project like this isnt going anywhere in their eyes. Maybe you would want to try and get some private business involved? Or get as much information as possible, hold on to it for a while, and present it in a more favorable financial environment (Just some free govt consulting advice :)).

I'm with you and those here on the idea of using a local company to cast these dolphins. Hopefully I can find one, if not I'll have a backup plan.

I'd like to stress that this is NOT a government project. Neither the city nor the county will be asked to fund any portion of it. This effort will be run by a non-profit organization seeking to maximize sponsorship from the local business communinty first and foremost. Companies such as Datamaxx, Mainline Information Systems, Turbocor, Tallahassee Memorial, Capital Health Plan, Homes & Lands, Flightline, Espositos, Coca-Cola/Pepsi, Tri-Eagle and others are among those we wish to target. The idea is not only to create the unique art, but to also tap into the resources of the business community and get them more vested in local arts & culture scene... especially downtown. It will be great if we can get the city, county, and state to participate, but if not we'll be ok.

I'm told neither the Government of Forrest County nor City of Hattiesburg participated in the Festival of Swans.

OK, then I would say from the general tone so far that maybe moving away from the Dolphin may be a better move. This board, in a very small way, represents many demographics of Tallahassee, and may likely mirror the whole city's view of the Dolphins. I just think the Dolphins scream Miami, which I thought we were trying to seperate from, and not to mention we're not on the water.

Archived