Downtown | Animal Arts Project

Florida

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why the heck would we pick something with snow in the name... really. I Love the Bear idea! Especially as much news time as they have gotten lately as we grow into their habitat. We owe them a memorial! But a side thought, if it were a manatee, would we include the always apparent back scars from rotors?! Sea Cow or not, we sure butcher those guys.

Why the heck would we pick something with snow in the name... really. I Love the Bear idea! Especially as much news time as they have gotten lately as we grow into their habitat. We owe them a memorial! But a side thought, if it were a manatee, would we include the always apparent back scars from rotors?! Sea Cow or not, we sure butcher those guys.

Despite the truth, Florida will trudge on with his worthless Snowy Egret Idea...

Bear is a wonderful idea, many have endorsed, but you just wait, with Florida at the helm, some stupid birds will be sitting on the corners of Downtown Tallahassee.

I'm actually still a fan of the Dolphin... although I haven't voted for it yet. The committee members really swung toward the idea of the Egret because of its elegance, strong presence throughout our region, and uniqueness. I still favor the idea of expanding upon the dolphin monument at the capitol building. Its funny, the committee has been reading the board over the past few days and they think TD is really funny!! :lol: They like bear idea, but they don't feel its a good image for Tallahassee.

gallery_3748_6_25191.jpg

Dear All:

I recently took a trip to my mother's hometown in Mississippi, and while I was there I had the pleasure to tour the charming little downtown of her city. I expected to see many well preserved old buildings, but to my surprise I found much more. Strategically placed throughout the downtown area of the city were larger than life casts of Swans, each boasting a unique artistic design, full of color and imagination. I found myself intrigued by these beautiful pieces of art and instantly my mission shifted from simply capturing pictures of the buildings downtown to locating and capturing a picture of each Swan. There were swans in front of churches, banks, the library, law offices, restaurants, beauty shops, the local newspaper building and in various other places throughout the downtown. I later learned there were 63 total, of which I probably saw 20. Those 20 Swans were enough to inspire me! Not only did they add character to an otherwise typical southern downtown, they introduced art and color to the landscape of the city creating the impression that I was in a place that is serious about the arts. They created destinations out of otherwise unnoticed locations, offering excellent photo opportunities, and because they were scattered about, I was encouraged to walk -- getting some much needed exercise!

The same concept will be introduced to Tallahassee in the form of one of the animals above to honor the arts & culture in of our community. Invitations will go out to local businesses of all types and organizations who wish to participate and sponsor an animal of their own that will be placed on properties downtown and eventually throughout the city. This idea is already generating excitement among the small group we've had the joy of sharing it with. We're very confident that this is something we can pull off right here in Tallahassee, especially with your support.

The three Animals being considered for Tallahassee are:

• The Dolphin

• The Manatee

• The Snowy Egret

A year from now we hope to present this show case of art in a gallery to recognize the sponsors for their generous donation and support of Tallahassee's arts culture. Site selection for these sculptures will be coordinated with downtown property owners and the city of Tallahassee. We hope that many of you are as excited about this as we are!

Sincerely,

"Florida" :camera:

My hometown (Lakeland, FL) had sculptures of swans for a number of years with that particular project ending in 2002. However it was very successfull and only enhanced what the core of the city was known for, Swans. Now the the city has moved on to sculptures of people in planned scenarios as well as butterflies and other abstract pieces.

I don't know what animals (or inanimate objects) should be placed in downtown Tallahassee as I am not native to the area however those of you that are should really think about something that Tallahassee is "Known" for and run with that. Below are links to the last round of swansation sculptures that were displayed around downtown Lakeland as well as a video regarding the human sculptures and the website (and pictures) to the Kaleidoscope project.

Swansation Pictures - Pictures of swans that use to be displayed around the central core of the city. They are now the property of various businesses in the area.

Human Sculptures - This is a video piece done by Baynews9 regarding the statutes around the city.

Kaleidoscope - This project involes butterflies, much the same as the swans previously

I'm still trying to locate the site for all the abstract pieces. I will keep you posted. I hope this gives everyone some ideas on how to spruce up Tallahassee's downtown area with art that everyone can enjoy.

Questions:

Who put together your committee for this project and mind telling us who is on it?

What animal did you decide on? Why the rush to take down the poll? Just curious not criticizing here.

Let's say you guys did bears. Would those bears be about the same size as the statues of the Snowy Egrets or would the birds be smaller? And what about the dolphins in size? Just getting a feel for the scale here if you don't mind sharing.

While I'm not wild about the Snowy Egrets, I don't dislike them either. I associate Tally more w/bears than Snowy Egrets, but I do know they exist here....however they do exist just about everywhere on the East Coast. Now the FL Black Bear I do associate w/Tally and the surrounding area and state, but I can understand if they where strung all downtown how it could conger up the image of us trying to be more like an Old West type of town. I just wish there was an animal that Tally took strong ownership of that would help the project more IMHO. FL what's your take on how business people (you know the ones you want to get donations from) will perceive the chosen animals?

Questions:

Who put together your committee for this project and mind telling us who is on it?

What animal did you decide on? Why the rush to take down the poll? Just curious not criticizing here.

Let's say you guys did bears. Would those bears be about the same size as the statues of the Snowy Egrets or would the birds be smaller? And what about the dolphins in size? Just getting a feel for the scale here if you don't mind sharing.

While I'm not wild about the Snowy Egrets, I don't dislike them either. I associate Tally more w/bears than Snowy Egrets, but I do know they exist here....however they do exist just about everywhere on the East Coast. Now the FL Black Bear I do associate w/Tally and the surrounding area and state, but I can understand if they where strung all downtown how it could conger up the image of us trying to be more like an Old West type of town. I just wish there was an animal that Tally took strong ownership of that would help the project more IMHO. FL what's your take on how business people (you know the ones you want to get donations from) will perceive the chosen animals?

gallery_3748_6_2041.jpg

Great questions Poonther.

I personally put the committee together after leaving GGG at the suggestion of Mike Pate to continue my ideas. The committee is made up of some unofficial volunteers, mainly people who work with me that recognize the importance of Arts in the Community as well as the importance of attracting and retaining creativity for Tallahassee.

Initially the Committee had decided on the Dolphin, and there is currently some disappointment among some of the members of the group because the dolphin did not receive a single vote from the UrbanPlanet Poll. One of the reasons we did the UrbanPlanet poll was to see how much interest the idea would generate more than allow this board to pick the animal... although I believe this board was quite affective in affecting the outcome. The poll was removed because the group only wanted it up over the weekend... it served its purpose, and I thank you all once again for the participation.

As far as size is concerned, if it is a large animal, such as a bear, the sculpture would be life-sized. Dolphins & Manatees would also qualify as large. As far as the bird is concerned, it would have to be larger-than-life (approximately 5-6 feet tall) with everything drawn to scale.

The last question in your post, is my favorite, Poonther. It has come to us in 3 or 4 ways that the animal should be one that is simple, yet elegant, with the idea that this is the image we want to build upon for Tallahassee and the arts culture moving forward, something natural to the area recognizing there is currently no animal associated with our community however seeing this as an opportunity to change that, and one that has a small footprint (stands up) as to not obstruct walkways and take up too much room. The original image of the dolphin we felt would be an easy sell because that idea could be tied into the work done at the capitol very easily, however, it appears we're going with the Egret. Now comes the fun in building a whole new campaign around this animal. It shares great significance with the area, and embodies many elements above. We've learned that Snowy Egrets and Great Egrets frequent this area and are closely related, so the name "Great Egret" may be worked into the operating title moving forward.

gallery_3748_6_3884.jpg

Its a Shame you didn't invite UP members onto your board of official Decision Makers.

However, what happens if the Egrets are made and placed throughout downtown...

And say people are taking pictures next to them, and Dad leans on the Egret, and ::::Snap::::: a chunk of Egret flesh breaks off.

I might shed a tear.

Its a Shame you didn't invite UP members onto your board of official Decision Makers.

However, what happens if the Egrets are made and placed throughout downtown...

And say people are taking pictures next to them, and Dad leans on the Egret, and ::::Snap::::: a chunk of Egret flesh breaks off.

I might shed a tear.

I like Great Egret moreso than Snowy... for obvious ironicies!

Behind the maglab there is a small lake. Across it, when its cold, there are a few egrets the stand in the sun to warm up. They extend thier necks and wings, facing the sun. Several poses in different areas would rock.

I see how plain a bear would be. I also understand the larger footprint taking up valuable walking space on a sidewalk. But, and maybe its just testosterone, a black bear would've been great!

I like Great Egret moreso than Snowy... for obvious ironicies!

Behind the maglab there is a small lake. Across it, when its cold, there are a few egrets the stand in the sun to warm up. They extend thier necks and wings, facing the sun. Several poses in different areas would rock.

I see how plain a bear would be. I also understand the larger footprint taking up valuable walking space on a sidewalk. But, and maybe its just testosterone, a black bear would've been great!

• 1 month later...

Archived