Shopping/Dining: What is Little Rock still lacking?

bchris02

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baton Rouge getting Nordstrom is impressive. That is a very comparable city to us. If Nordstrom does expand to Arkansas, I hope it ends up being Little Rock and not NWA. Its been a longstanding rumor that Nordstrom was coming to NWA whenever they found an appropriate site, but people on this forum just blew it off. If you include Ft. Smith and Joplin, MO with NWA, it puts the population over 700,000. Do you think Nordstrom really would opt for NWA over Little Rock?

Baton Rouge getting Nordstrom is impressive. That is a very comparable city to us. If Nordstrom does expand to Arkansas, I hope it ends up being Little Rock and not NWA. Its been a longstanding rumor that Nordstrom was coming to NWA whenever they found an appropriate site, but people on this forum just blew it off. If you include Ft. Smith and Joplin, MO with NWA, it puts the population over 700,000. Do you think Nordstrom really would opt for NWA over Little Rock?

I think Little Rock's CSA is at the very low end of what Norstrom's would consider. NWA's CSA is far smaller and unrealistic, IMO. A store like Nordstrom's will draw from more than an hour away.

Furthermore, there's only one place it could go in NWA and I'd be quite sure Dillard's won't be willing to share PHP.

I agree about all your points above.

Another added factor: I think Nordstrom would only locate in LR IF a very large, critical mass, upscale super-regional development were to occur (such as Simon proposed) similar to what was recently developed in Des Moines (Jordan Creek Town Center) and Baton Rouge (Mall of Louisiana). Essentially, that's not going to happen anytime soon in Little Rock - that once in a 30 year development caved when Simon abandoned its Summit property. So I think this is really the bigger factor for Little Rock than the CSA (since LR's CSA is larger and has a higher income than both Baton Rouge and Des Moines).

Note: if there were ANY change in LR at all, it would be the additional property with Promenade. But again, even though that should be fairly upscale, its just not big enough to draw the amount of people necessary for a Nordstroms. There's no way they would locate that far from the freeway system.

I most definetly feel that if Nordstrom comes to Arkansas, it will be in Little Rock. Little Rock is the cultural center, state capitol, and largest metro in the state and located right in the center. Nordstrom has pretty much hit all the larger metros and they are now expanding to the smaller ones. Like I said, they want a presence in each state, because they would be a retail draw for hundreds of miles just like IKEA. Macy's is still trying to figure out what stores to keep, what stores to close, etc while still having crappy sales reports. Nordtsrom has remained strong and has been in an expansion mode for several years now. When they came to the Orlando market, it wasn't to a new center, it was an expansion to the Florida Mall. In Miami they have been added to an lifestyle concept expansion to Aventura Mall. So I still think that they could do it with McCain with a lifestyle concept expansion. But the mall would have to be renovated up to par and the Gap, etc, would have to return. Simon is adding a lifestyle concept to the Florida Mall where Lord & Taylor used to be and now the word is that it will be anchored by an H & M and movie theaters and a couple of large restaurants and about 30 new shops.

Thats discouraging news. If Des Moines, Iowa can support a Cheesecake factory I have no idea why they doubt Little Rock can. I still think its possible as 24 months is shortly after the projected opening of Park Avenue. If there was going to be a Cheesecake Factory, that would be the place.

That's nothing. Greenville, SC is getting a Cheesecake Factory in 2009 at Magnolia Park Town Center. You can see it listed on the site plan here: http://www.trustedpartner.com/docs/library...site%20plan.pdf The site plan is old but it's still coming according to numerous sources working on the project. If they can get one, there is no reason Little Rock can't. They're both around the same size in terms of population.

Has this always been the case?...or is this because the LR retail market was held hostage by Simon for a decade and not much development was done in that time frame?

I does seem for some reason national chains like to avoid Arkansas. I think it probably goes back to the hillbilly stereotype and the perception of Arkansas as an uncultured, uneducated place. Mississippi and West Virginia, the two other states that share our stereotype also tend to be avoided.

Has this always been the case?...or is this because the LR retail market was held hostage by Simon for a decade and not much development was done in that time frame?

I does seem for some reason national chains like to avoid Arkansas. I think it probably goes back to the hillbilly stereotype and the perception of Arkansas as an uncultured, uneducated place. Mississippi and West Virginia, the two other states that share our stereotype also tend to be avoided.

After reading this topic, I would have to agree with bchris02. Simon is a dictator when it comes to retail development. I don't know how big the mall was that they abandoned in Little Rock, but I do know they are a very powerfull company and it's their way or the highway. Another instance is here in Springfield... they built the Battlefield Mall in 1970 and added on to it over the years to get to the

1.3 million sf. and 160 stores their at now. Although I wish it would have been different because when they built the mall the city agreed to a written contract with Simon stating that no other mall could open within the city limits within a certin timeframe. I'm not certain on the time frame, but about 5 years ago a KC developer wanted to build a lifestyle center in town and the city denied the request. Hmm... Not until recently was the development approved and will start construction soon. Simon just finished renovating the mall and added a lifestyle component and Macy's which looks pretty good, however I would have much rather a different company own and run the mall then Simon.

I wouldn't be too worried about other retailers coming to Little Rock... it will happen its just a matter of how soon. The only reason we have the selection of retail and restuarants up here is becuase KC and STL are so close and the franchisee's add stores down here to make a quick buck.

I would like to think that LR will eventually get a Macys and/or Nordstorms. I doubt we see any new developments aka a SUPER REGIONAL MALL. We will just have to use what we have. Its too bad that Park Ave couldnt be larger. They have to be bringing in new names because its not like they can just duplicate across the street.

And another question. Why is it that Dillards only has 1 store in LR. Apparently its home turf isn

I would like to think that LR will eventually get a Macys and/or Nordstorms. I doubt we see any new developments aka a SUPER REGIONAL MALL. We will just have to use what we have. Its too bad that Park Ave couldnt be larger. They have to be bringing in new names because its not like they can just duplicate across the street.

And another question. Why is it that Dillards only has 1 store in LR. Apparently its home turf isn

As far as economics are concerned LR and NLR are the same market, so they have 2 stores. A third was planned in Chenal but it was called off. I for one am glad because I think Park Plaza would have suffered for it. I wonder what Simon will do with the old MM Cohn's spot when they remodel McCain Mall. Springfield, MO just got a Macy's so we definately could.

When you are talking about Park Plaza Mall and Dillards, a key fact is that Dillards owns outright the two anchor buildings. CBL only owns and manages the portion in between the anchors. The way the tenant agreements are written, if either one of the Dillards anchors closes, the tenants have an opt-out of their lease. They only have to give a 30 day notice. This is why Park Plaza is considered a house of cards. If you notice the ULI renderings in the Park Avenue topic, Park Plaza mall doesn't exist. The ULI considered a Dillards move and a re-purposing of Park Plaza inevitable.

A scenario that could play out is that Dillards opens a new LR location, then closes one or both of the Park Plaza locations, but doesn't sell the empty building(s), or leases to an undesirable tenant. During the Summit Mall debacle, the City tried to get Dillards to divulge their intent for those buildings. Even asking if they would announce that they would sell them to the Park Plaza property owners at that time, should they decide to close them. Dillards refused to say anything. I was in the Board Room. Wes Cherry of Dillards was very pompous and coy. One of the many reasons I don't care for Dillards.

When you are talking about Park Plaza Mall and Dillards, a key fact is that Dillards owns outright the two anchor buildings. CBL only owns and manages the portion in between the anchors. The way the tenant agreements are written, if either one of the Dillards anchors closes, the tenants have an opt-out of their lease. They only have to give a 30 day notice. This is why Park Plaza is considered a house of cards. If you notice the ULI renderings in the Park Avenue topic, Park Plaza mall doesn't exist. The ULI considered a Dillards move and a re-purposing of Park Plaza inevitable.

A scenario that could play out is that Dillards opens a new LR location, then closes one or both of the Park Plaza locations, but doesn't sell the empty building(s), or leases to an undesirable tenant. During the Summit Mall debacle, the City tried to get Dillards to divulge their intent for those buildings. Even asking if they would announce that they would sell them to the Park Plaza property owners at that time, should they decide to close them. Dillards refused to say anything. I was in the Board Room. Wes Cherry of Dillards was very pompous and coy. One of the many reasons I don't care for Dillards.

I got this today.

Dear Ms. ........:

Thank you for your e-mail and interest in The Cheesecake Factory. Your site suggestion

will be shared internally, and with the company that helps us with our site selection.

While we do not have immediate plans to open a location in Arkansas, we are growing

and are planning to open many more restaurants throughout the United States. Please

check our website for updates on future location openings:

www.thecheesecakefactory.com under Locations/Future Locations.

The Cheesecake Factory created a moderately priced line of cheesecakes for sale in

grocery stores and other venues. Sam's Club decides which of our dessert they choose to

offer their customers. You may want to talk to the Sam's Club manager to see if they can

order a specific flavor you are interested in purchasing.

Thank you again for your interest and support. We hope to serve you soon!

Sincerely,

Guest Services Coordinator

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS E-MAIL

MAY BE CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION AND/OR LEGALLY PRIVILEGED

AND IS INTENDED FOR ONLY THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY

NAMED ABOVE. If the reader of this E-mail is not the intended recipient, any use,

dissemination, distribution or copying of this E-mail is strictly prohibited. If you

received this E-mail in error, please E-mail the sender to inform the sender of the

misdirection and immediately delete the original E-mail and all copies. Thank you for

your cooperation.

Archived