Central Florida Thought Leadership

mrh3

Well, I haven't made very many posts lately, due in large part to working and school, but I have been perplexed as of late due to a conference I attended with the former head of FOX in attendance. He said that if the State of Florida hadn't rescinded the FOX project, it would have opened a year or two ago and been a national icon. I asked him what did he do afterwards? His comment was that his firm flew him to The Netherlands where they constructed the exact same system. That system is operating today. Not to mention with today's announcement that SeaWorld is building a location in Dubai, Universal is too and I've heard that Disney is going there as well. Orlando is facing increasing economic pressure to remain competitive on a global scale.

As someone that grew up in Orlando and started my early career as an intern at the EDC, I am very curious about the individuals that are truly creating change in that city. As a community, there doesn't appear to be the cohesiveness required to make sweeping change, nor do there appear to be leaders with direct contacts and vision to turn Orlando into a Global center. I could be wrong and correct me if I am, but what will it take to bring more influence to the city of Orlando. Las Vegas, the cities western rival is attracting huge sums of capital, (see link below). Also, given the global stage upon which each city sits and preens for attention, what strategies can be employed to ensure that the Orlando becomes a magnet for the best and the brightest minds on earth?

World Cities Index

Las Vegas City Center

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I haven't made very many posts lately, due in large part to working and school, but I have been perplexed as of late due to a conference I attended with the former head of FOX in attendance. He said that if the State of Florida hadn't rescinded the FOX project, it would have opened a year or two ago and been a national icon. I asked him what did he do afterwards? His comment was that his firm flew him to The Netherlands where they constructed the exact same system. That system is operating today. Not to mention with today's announcement that SeaWorld is building a location in Dubai, Universal is too and I've heard that Disney is going there as well. Orlando is facing increasing economic pressure to remain competitive on a global scale.

As someone that grew up in Orlando and started my early career as an intern at the EDC, I am very curious about the individuals that are truly creating change in that city. As a community, there doesn't appear to be the cohesiveness required to make sweeping change, nor do there appear to be leaders with direct contacts and vision to turn Orlando into a Global center. I could be wrong and correct me if I am, but what will it take to bring more influence to the city of Orlando. Las Vegas, the cities western rival is attracting huge sums of capital, (see link below). Also, given the global stage upon which each city sits and preens for attention, what strategies can be employed to ensure that the Orlando becomes a magnet for the best and the brightest minds on earth?

World Cities Index

Las Vegas City Center

Florida is not sure if it wants to be a swamp with old cracker houses and WRAASSLIN' shows or one of the leaders of our nation and the world. Me thinks Jeb likes himself sum gator wrasslin an sippin sum white litenin. That thar trane was a medsin show and not t'be trustid.

Florida is not sure if it wants to be a swamp with old cracker houses and WRAASSLIN' shows or one of the leaders of our nation and the world. Me thinks Jeb likes himself sum gator wrasslin an sippin sum white litenin. That thar trane was a medsin show and not t'be trustid.

Archived