New Spectrum Health development planned for 1697 Michigan St

GRDadof3

With the space crunch going on around the Spectrum Health campus, it looks like there is a new proposal to relocate Spectrum's employee child-care services to 1697 Michigan St, near Plymouth Ave (old Bishop's Furniture and site next door)

According to the brownfield application, the new site will house a 22,000 square foot child development center, and will bring 15 jobs to the city of GR, as well as the retention of 15 others.

Here's a photo of the site that sits next to the Bishop store. I believe the development will use both this parcel and Bishop's.

2266621603_32444ccaf1_b.jpg

2302795160_ecff45b5cd_b.jpg

This is in addition to the new shuttle parking for Spectrum that is being created around the corner on Plymouth.

2299588263_2f386e58c6_o.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the space crunch going on around the Spectrum Health campus, it looks like there is a new proposal to relocate Spectrum's employee child-care services to 1697 Michigan St, near Plymouth Ave (old Bishop's Furniture and site next door)

According to the brownfield application, the new site will house a 22,000 square foot child development center, and will bring 15 jobs to the city of GR, as well as the retention of 15 others.

The current child care center is at 930 Lake Drive, not on the BW campus. I know that there is currently up to a 1 year wait for employees to get kids into this place so it only makes sense to expand. There's another child care center on-location at Blodgett - wonder if that will stay open....? And rumor mill here still says that SH is buying the old Davenport building on Fulton(?) to move the Healthier Communities to (currently across from GVSU).

The current child care center is at 930 Lake Drive, not on the BW campus. I know that there is currently up to a 1 year wait for employees to get kids into this place so it only makes sense to expand. There's another child care center on-location at Blodgett - wonder if that will stay open....? And rumor mill here still says that SH is buying the old Davenport building on Fulton(?) to move the Healthier Communities to (currently across from GVSU).

The building is going to be close to the street, but take up a lot of the site. I'd post renderings but frankly we are not happy with them yet. The site is only 1.22 acres (not including 1701 Michigan - Service Metals...that plan is still being worked out) so with green space, parking, etc the site is fairly tight.

This is great news. I drove by the old Bishops building a few weeks ago and thought it was a shame that the land was sitting unused. I agree that it is a pretty good location for a variety of uses. It looks like we're starting to stretch Michigan to the Medical Two Mile. ;)

Joe

This is great news. I drove by the old Bishops building a few weeks ago and thought it was a shame that the land was sitting unused. I agree that it is a pretty good location for a variety of uses. It looks like we're starting to stretch Michigan to the Medical Two Mile. ;)

Joe

• 2 months later...

Archived