Suburbs: The Next Slum?

digital_sandlapper

Pretty much every area goes though ups and downs. In Columbia, some street car suburbs became slums (North Main, Eau Claire), some became slums and had a rebirth (Elmwood Park), and some stayed affluent (Shandon). Once land gets cheap enough, they get revitalized. I predict that that'll happen to all suburbs.

I think Corgi is somewhat right about Columbia being at the limit of sprawl, but I think it is because the rural residents are pushing back against the developers. This wil change after the land prices get higher and the residents get older.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really doubt that people moving into a downtown area are ever expecting the same size unit as what they may have or once had in the outer areas. It's a part of the lifestyle that you are chosing to embrace by even looking into an urban housing market...

They will definitely build on the rail line. But thats the point. It will likely be some sort of transit oriented development which should reduce the number of car trips. The idea is not to stop development or force people out of their cars. The idea is to encourage good development practices that don't force people INTO their cards. You shouldn't have to live in the city if you don't want to, but you should be able to walk to a corner store or to some commercial retail area that has a few restaurants, shops, and a grocery store. Its entirely possible to do this in the suburbs if the development standards are changed for require connectivity between and mixture of land uses. This, in turn, helps to support transit which further reduced the number of needed car trips.

A dose of reality may be needed...

I live about 10 miles from Greenville and commute to downtown every day. According to this site...

http://www.commuterpage.com/Userweb/CostCo...stCommuting.htm

...to purchase a comparable house in a downtown market versus the suburbs where I live, gas would need to be in the realm of $20/gallon. And that's if I don't trade in my relatively inefficient vehicle for something better.

While development patterns are changing, the expectation that you need to "get out while you still can" is not realistic... at least not in much of the South. The impacts would be much more drastic in larger cities, but then again, the cost of residential real estate is most urban settings is much higher than it is in Greenville.

I've said this before on this forum but I will express it again here. People don't choose where they live based on gasoline prices. However if the cost of gasoline is something that is putting a hardship on their life, they are not going to move to an unreasonably expensive condo in what we now call cities in the South.

As far as slums are concerned, those occur when the attitudes change about a neighborhood and home owners are replaced by renters and vacant houses. This can be caused by a number of reasons and it has occurred in all classes of homes and neighborhoods. 50 years ago the street car neighborhoods of the early 1900s were abandoned for strip housing further out and these places turned into slums. Now these places are being re-developed into expensive places. It wasn't that long ago when they couldn't give away the million dollar+ housing on the Charleston peninsula because it was so run down. My uncle, who lived all of this life in Charleston, said they used to use these houses as stakes in poker games because they were worth so little.

The point that I am attempting to make is that it is tempting to generalize what might create a slum based on attitudes of today, but it is not unreasonable to think that a generation from now, it could be quite different that it is today. I can think of a dozen things that could happen that could turn any high priced area, including those in the center cities, back into slum areas again. It happened once, it can happen again.

I do agree that lately there has been a tendency to build neighborhoods very cheaply and then encourage people to buy these places that really don't have to the money to do it.

I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect that just because gas prices are on the rise, everyone is going to be flocking to live in or near downtown. Sure, there's a general upward trend of new downtown and in-town residents across the nation, but I expect the bigger side effect will be making the suburbs more sustainable (better construction, more connectivity, etc.). As it was stated earlier, all the jobs aren't downtown.

I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect that just because gas prices are on the rise, everyone is going to be flocking to live in or near downtown. Sure, there's a general upward trend of new downtown and in-town residents across the nation, but I expect the bigger side effect will be making the suburbs more sustainable (better construction, more connectivity, etc.). As it was stated earlier, all the jobs aren't downtown.

I think 30 minutes is the typical optimal commute time for most people - in most metro areas. That actually is my commute - though I'm definitely not the norm by those standards, I would prefer the commute to be under 15 minutes. The best commute I had was last year before we moved, under 5 minute bike ride.

I'm 1.5 miles from work and couldn't be happier. It took me 20 minutes to walk to work until I got a bike and now it's less than 10 minutes. The stress that comes with commuting....traffic, bad drivers, gas prices, road rage, etc....is completely gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived