Favorite Hood in your City?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well my city doesn't have any real neighborhoods, as it is all mile after mile of suburban tract houses that all look identical. So I suppose any neighborhood could be my favorite, since they are all the same. Apparently nobody here has heard of creating liveable neighborhoods that actually have character to them.

I will say that my favorite neighborhood in the city of Detroit is midtown, or more specifically Brush Park. I love all the old mansions in the neighborhood. It is a walkable neighborhood, just a stone's throw away from downtown Detroit. As far as neighborhood transformations go, Brush Park has probably changed more than any any other neighborhood in the city. What was a nearly vacant neighborhood ten years ago is now a vibrant neighborhood, with lofts, apartments, and rowhouses going up all over the place. In addition, many of the grand old homes have been restored or are in the process of being restored.

New Rowhouses

brush%20(1)_jpg.jpg

brush%20(10)_jpg.jpg

Old Homes

brush%20(11)_jpg.jpg

brush%20(12)_jpg.jpg

brush%20(13)_jpg.jpg

brush%20(15)_jpg.jpg

brush%20(16)_JPG.jpg

brush%20(18)_JPG.jpg

brush%20(3)_jpg.jpg

Anoyne wanna tackle this house? I would, but I can't afford it. :(

brush%20(6)_jpg.jpg

Hopefully I didn't slow down this thread too much with all the pics, but I couldn't possibly post just one! All the pics are by Tony Hiller, from the site http://downtownmotown.8k.com/

monsoon, haha no way! I was just looking for a "hood" pic to post and stumbled across that artful piece of southwest pride and joy! ;)

Allan, nice i love rowhouses i wish this city had them but it seems to be more of an eastern US thing than anything else.

I wish Detroit had more rowhouses. There are some, but this just isn't a rowhouse city. Brush Park has some rows, and so do some other areas near downtown, but they aren't nearly as common here as they are in other cities.

In Winston-Salem, I like the houses of West End but I like the neighborhood of Washington Park. Washington Park is a historic streetcar neighborhood from the 1800's. I believe the oldest house there is from 1860 but they have lots of old victorian houses. That's not what I like about Washington Park though. I like how it has one of the nation's top arts colleges and combines art with diversity. It's very diverse and there are great bars and shops within walking distance. Its just a great neighborhood. I would say the diversity is what makes Washington Park such a great place. Of course I grew up in Washington Park. ;) My second favorite is West End, the state's oldest streetcar neighborhood and my third favorite is West Salem. Brookstown is also nice.

• 1 year later...

Archived