PROPOSED: Shoppes at Avalon

http://www.courant.com/news/local/ec/hc-gl...0,2073170.story

follow up

http://www.courant.com/news/local/ec/hc-gl...0,5677660.story

No action was taken on the proposal; the purpose of the hearing was to give developers an opportunity to give an overview of the project and then get feedback from the public, commission and council before moving forward with the project. The proposal includes a 140-room six-story hotel totaling 70,000 square feet with a 4,710-square-foot hotel restaurant and 5,145 square feet for office space. The proposal also includes 60,632 square feet of retail space, a 9,200-square-foot day-care center and a 6,996-square-foot restaurant.

apparently Glastonbury is not really supportive. I could not find the developer elsewhere online either. I wish Glastonbury had a bit more of a downtown myself, but this project is a little far north to do that.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.courant.com/news/local/ec/hc-gl...0,2073170.story

follow up

http://www.courant.com/news/local/ec/hc-gl...0,5677660.story

No action was taken on the proposal; the purpose of the hearing was to give developers an opportunity to give an overview of the project and then get feedback from the public, commission and council before moving forward with the project. The proposal includes a 140-room six-story hotel totaling 70,000 square feet with a 4,710-square-foot hotel restaurant and 5,145 square feet for office space. The proposal also includes 60,632 square feet of retail space, a 9,200-square-foot day-care center and a 6,996-square-foot restaurant.

apparently Glastonbury is not really supportive. I could not find the developer elsewhere online either. I wish Glastonbury had a bit more of a downtown myself, but this project is a little far north to do that.

I live very close to this proposed project. The developer has by trying to put something into this site since Hitchcock Furniture closed, but all of his proposals are way out of scale for the area. Griswold Street between Main and Rt. 2 already has really heavy traffic, especially when Naubuck Elementary is getting in or out. This isn't NIMBYism on my part, as I'd have zero problem with an appropriately scaled development there.

I'm pretty optimistic that the project in this form will never happen. Glastonbury has some of the best zoning laws in the state. They've been able to keep the big boxes localized around Sommerset Square and have been able to force CVS and Walgreens to conform to the town's style code. The only way that I would ever support this project is if they could somehow put a right of way under the rts. 2/3 interchange and close off the access point on Griswold, which I doubt is even feasible. If this guy is that determined to build this kind of development in town, let him lease the lot in front of the Hilton on Glastonbury Blvd. and build something there, that spot has been available for quite some time. Better yet, let the guy buy the Hilton lot in Hartford and put something there. God knows the city is a much more appropriate place for this scale project.

I live very close to this proposed project. The developer has by trying to put something into this site since Hitchcock Furniture closed, but all of his proposals are way out of scale for the area. Griswold Street between Main and Rt. 2 already has really heavy traffic, especially when Naubuck Elementary is getting in or out. This isn't NIMBYism on my part, as I'd have zero problem with an appropriately scaled development there.

I'm pretty optimistic that the project in this form will never happen. Glastonbury has some of the best zoning laws in the state. They've been able to keep the big boxes localized around Sommerset Square and have been able to force CVS and Walgreens to conform to the town's style code. The only way that I would ever support this project is if they could somehow put a right of way under the rts. 2/3 interchange and close off the access point on Griswold, which I doubt is even feasible. If this guy is that determined to build this kind of development in town, let him lease the lot in front of the Hilton on Glastonbury Blvd. and build something there, that spot has been available for quite some time. Better yet, let the guy buy the Hilton lot in Hartford and put something there. God knows the city is a much more appropriate place for this scale project.

For those interested, this is the link to his previous proposal for the site, Avalone Shoppes: http://www.avalonshoppes.com/ Note the use of "shoppes," a sure sign that the project was a soulless, cookie cutter development.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I don't really have an opinion on this project but here is where it stands now. Seems like more of the same for Glastonbury. I don't think it's going to be a big deal either way.

Hartford Courant

GLASTONBURY –—The town plan and zoning commission closed a public hearing Tuesday on the latest Shoppes at Avalon proposal and expects to make a decision on the project next month.

The commission heard more than two hours of testimony Tuesday from developer John Sakon and his team, the town engineer and members of the police department, along with final comments from residents. The commission then voted to close the public hearing, setting up a decision on the project as early as the commission's Dec. 7 meeting.

The 67,690-square-foot retail development has been proposed on part of a 14-acre development to the east of Main Street and north of Griswold Street. The development would include 56,090 square feet of new development and the renovation of an existing 11,600-square-foot building.

• 2 weeks later...

This finally got approval. I definitely don't see this as being a bad thing for Glastonbury and some of it is going to spruce up existing buildings so that is a positive thing.

Hartford Courant

GLASTONBURY – Calling it an attractive and reasonable development and a plan that will not add to the area's traffic problems, the town plan and zoning commission voted 5-1 Monday in favor of The Shoppes at Avalon project.

beat me to it.

Here is the link to the developers site with renders and flyovers

http://www.sakon.info/avalon/

Its a lot like a smaller Evergreen Walk. I have no real issue with this development except that its more retail in a suburb and its not really dense orban or anything that gives you a real community feel like an old downtown does.

looks like there is no housing or hotel.

if those were included, it Might be a good thing

Archived