PROPOSED: 20 Story Hilton Hotel

Pc0090700.jpg

http://www.remindernews.com/node/7/&to...02-29-9-Ar00900

At the downtown marina, the proposal for a brand new 18 story ~240 room Hilton got dozens of variences from the city last week.

I read the article in the local free paper. The reminder. This is a huge deal for norwich. Hell this would be a big deal for Hartford.

Aliano announces plan for 240-room hotel on Norwich waterfront

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/business/x942962930

Downtown businessman Ron Aliano this afternoon announced plans to build at 240-room, 18-story full service hotel on his property at the marina.

The hotel will span the front area of the marina and the property where the Marina Towers building now sits. The hotel will offer a destination restaurant, 240 rooms, 12 guest room floors and 13,500 square feet of banquet space and meeting rooms. A main ballroom with six break-out rooms will accommodate up to 700 guests for conventions or conferences.

Norwich OKs variances for proposed 'high-end' harbor hotel

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/x257791962

Edited by The Voice of Reason

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured it would be down the hill a bit, but compared to the surrounding buildings... not just downtown.

Maybe I would just have to see the final product to make proper judgment call. But I couldn't envision something more than 10-12 stories without looking odd.

I figured it would be down the hill a bit, but compared to the surrounding buildings... not just downtown.

Maybe I would just have to see the final product to make proper judgment call. But I couldn't envision something more than 10-12 stories without looking odd.

Is Norwich the type of city that wants a skyline? I'm the biggest proponent for skylines ever, and I can see it doesn't fit. Norwich has a one of the nicest downtowns in the State, and more importantly, it's intact. Not a good fit, New London would be a better fit, though I'm sure they don't want to go that far....

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Norwich: Waterfront developers get bigger hotel idea

Construction jobs touted for project

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By MICHAEL GANNON

Norwich Bulletin

Posted Nov 05, 2008 @ 01:37 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norwich and the developers aren

Yes, this could be very good for Norwich. If only the people of Preston could figure something out for the hospital site. At least the state will be taking it back on Jan 5 2008 and will be able to decide it's fate after that. They need something to be developed there and a small town should not be selfish and say it should only benefit existing residents of the town with no regard to the greater development and investment needs of the region.

Who knows what ever will happen with the hospital site, but honestly at this point, I dont care. A hotel in a city center is 100000x smarter than a sub-urban lifestyle center no matter the scale.

The hospital might as well be a whole new city, so I would rather see the region concentrate on developing the existing city center than the hospital site. With any luck the site can be an economic engine like maybe an industrial park, who knows.

I am aware of it being an impossibility in terms of public support. However, clearly we have seen Preston time and time again balk at the prospects of anything being put onto the site. So what happens when the state takes it over? The property just still sits there, perhaps site clearing and environmental cleanup. Wouldn't anything the state does in terms of site redevelopment have to be approved by Preston?

Not quite sure how the process works here. I just know clearly Preston can't be trusted to do anything positive for the site. Unless someone decides to start up a farm that is...