Civil Rights Museum

tombarnes

Civil Rights Museum

Jackson is in a quandary right now about where to build its new Civil Rights Museum. A strong contingent from Tougaloo College believes that the museum should be built near the Tougaloo campus. Unfortunately, the campus is near Ridgeland in North Jackson. An equally vocal group believes that the museum ought to be built downtown in order to take advantage of the synergy growing there with the many new construction projects and the new convention center. I place myself among the latter. Building the museum downtown makes sense for many reasons. Museums in suburban locations are far less likely to attract visitors than their downtown counterparts. While sentimental reasoning may indicate the museum's placement at the Tougaloo campus, a more sensible approach would place the museum within easy walking distance of other downtown attractions. I hope this issue will be resolved soon.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived