Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pcdoctor

Coinstar

10 posts in this topic

Would like to know if anyone has used the coinstar machines? Is it worth using since I have a whole lot of coins I would like to change into bills?

Would like to know if anyone has used the coinstar machines? Is it worth using since I have a whole lot of coins I would like to change into bills?

Once in a while they run promos, where if you convert your coins into Amazon or other gift certificates, they waive the 8.5% fee. According to the internets there is a way to circumvent this and get 100% cash back but I'll let you find the hack.

Used them many times without troubles. Like said above, it takes a small fee but overall the little bit you loose is worth the savings in time spent.

Doesn't your bank do that for free? My wife went to our bank, and I don't recall them charging her to count coins.

Once in a while they run promos, where if you convert your coins into Amazon or other gift certificates, they waive the 8.5% fee. According to the internets there is a way to circumvent this and get 100% cash back but I'll let you find the hack.

Doesn't your bank do that for free? My wife went to our bank, and I don't recall them charging her to count coins.

I've used Coinstar several times - and it works well. However...it seems to be out of order a lot at the Meijer on Knapp's corner...

Also - some banks do take loose change. I know that most Chemical Bank locations do. A lot of banks will only take rolled change. If you're bank takes the loose change, you can save yourself the 8.5% fee from Coinstar.

Depends on the bank and/or the branch. I have had different Chase branches (both here and Illinois) give completely differing answers on whether or not the coins should be rolled or loose. When in doubt, call ahead.