Which Greenville Area Most Resembles Buckhead?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think Greenville has an area comparable to Buckhead. To me, Buckhead represents:

-Atlanta's major nightlife district

-Atlanta's premier shopping/retail district

-A somewhat urban, somewhat suburban feel in terms of design and layout

-Some amazingly nice old homes

Augusta Road has our own version of nice older homes, but lacks when it comes to upscale retail and urban feel. There are not really any corporations or highrises in the Augusta Road area. It has limited nightlife.

Thornblade has nice homes, but it is really a subdivision rather than a distinct neighborhood (although I realize that some people call the area surrounding the subdivision "Thornblade" as well). It has some nicer retail options and has a nice clean feel to it, but again it lacks the corporate presence in Buckhead (even if you include Michelin).

Simpsonville and Mauldin are, as you said, suburbs rather than in-town neighborhoods like Buckhead. They are also not comparable to Buckhead.

To be honest, the closest thing we have to Buckhead is our downtown area. And even that doesn't really compare. Our downtown is perhaps more walkable than Buckhead, and has a slightly more urban feel than most of Buckhead. But our downtown does not currently have the amazing shopping, highrises, or population density found in Buckhead. It also does not have the amount of nice hotels found in Buckhead. We do have some great restaurants and obviously some big companies, but even that probably doesn't compare. Our downtown will need to grow in land area, as well as grow in height, to be comparable.

It seems that "uptown" is the area around The Point, including Carolina First, CU-ICAR, etc. "Midtown" is the Haywood Road area, including Patewood and perhaps even Roper Mountain Road and Pleasantburg Drive. Hopefully, going forward the city will brand these areas with consistent proper naming on maps and in literature. That will give these areas a true sense of identity.

It seems that "uptown" is the area around The Point, including Carolina First, CU-ICAR, etc. "Midtown" is the Haywood Road area, including Patewood and perhaps even Roper Mountain Road and Pleasantburg Drive. Hopefully, going forward the city will brand these areas with consistent proper naming on maps and in literature. That will give these areas a true sense of identity.

That might depend on who you are talking to and what the definition of "Greenville" is. To some Greenville is the the "downtown area", to others it's the city limits and even to other it's a lot more nebulous and includes part of the county that actually include other towns. The definition I was giving earlier refered to more of the "old town" part of Greenville where the resisdents are more "native" whereas the eastern part of Greenville is home to newer business, people who moved here in the last 30 years, etc.

Buckhead is an interesting mix. It's largely suburban in its layout, but it does have access to transit (MARTA). It's the shopping epicenter of metro Atlanta, with Lenox Mall and Phipps Plaza. Towers, mostly residential and some office as well, are going up like crazy. There are lots of dining options. And yes, it does have some older wealthy neighborhoods with gorgeous mansions (particularly along W. Paces Ferry Rd).

I'm not really aware of any area in Greenville that has a mix of all of that. But Woodruff Road comes to mind for me, since I primarily associate Buckhead with all its shopping options.

Archived